Do diff covers work or are they just bling?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just happened upon these videos by Gale Banks and he is on a quest to find out if aftermarket aluminum diff covers help or hurt? He takes a very methodical approach to find out. He has two of three parts up now and an additional video that shows what is actually going on inside the diff. Very interesting stuff!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Part 2.2

Part 3.1 coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Very educational man, thanks for posting :cool: Looking forward to the hard data.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I know they haven't posted the video with their hard data yet, but the fact that the inner squared surfaces on the aftermarket pans causes some turbulence; has me not wanting to switch to an aftermarket cover.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I only saw a reason to switch as armor for backing or driving into rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote and Mooseman

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Last edited by a moderator:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks for the share. I had been reading similar on some other forums as well. But so far I have not had any heat or capacity related issues on my vehicles. Just wish they all had drain and fill plugs standard.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the share. I had been reading similar on some other forums as well. But so far I have not had any heat or capacity related issues on my vehicles. Just wish they all had drain and fill plugs standard.
You could always weld a bung in a stock diff cover.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The earlier GMT360 rear ends had a drain plug in the bottom of the pumpkin. Newer ones they stopped putting it there, but you could in theory drill and tap that location if you wanted to. It is the round recess in the bottom of the case when viewed from below, towards the cover.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The earlier GMT360 rear ends had a drain plug in the bottom of the pumpkin. Newer ones they stopped putting it there, but you could in theory drill and tap that location if you wanted to. It is the round recess in the bottom of the case when viewed from below, towards the cover.
They only did that in 2002 right? There was a lot they only did for '02.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think up through 04 had it. I know the first 8.6" rear that I bought for mine had one. Of course, that one was bad and the one the yard gave me in exchange was an 05 and didn't have the drain plug.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had one in my 02. Used it once but I usually opened it to inspect stuff at the same time.

Reactions: xavierny25

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
My '03 LWB has it; made for a really clean fluid change last year (decided to not pull the cover as a result)

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I think up through 04 had it. I know the first 8.6" rear that I bought for mine had one. Of course, that one was bad and the one the yard gave me in exchange was an 05 and didn't have the drain plug.
Mine's an '04, my original 8.6" rear diff didn't have one. The '04 Rainier I got this 3.73 8.0" diff from didn't have one either.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My 14 has one I think., but I always open up diffs for inspection so I don't consider a drain plug of much worth.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Part 2.2 added to second post.

Reactions: xavierny25

SpeedUp

Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
thanks for sharing! those are really interesting videos, i wondered if those fancy covers did anything.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Some of the commenters are funny. "Obvious sales pitch, he's gonna sell his own cover next!" Um, he just said several times his gut feeling is the axle manufacturers know what they're doing and that aftermarket covers are pointless or maybe even detrimental. Then he's testing his theories and, so far, proving this correct. How this is a sales pitch I have no idea.

Now I don't know if they do as much harm as he suggests they might (do we see guys blowing up rear axles after putting these covers on, not really), but they are still at best pointless bling.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Part 3 added. So basically designing a new diff cover. I doubt they'll make one for our smaller diffs since they seem to do stuff for the bigger trucks.

Looks like a cool design. (Pun intended :biggrin: )

Reactions: Capote and Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Guess I get to eat crow. He did make his own. But as he said, who knows whether it'll actually work or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online