DJones's Custom Tail Light Configuration

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I removed the tail light circuit board, replaced the housing with aftermarket, and wired up sockets. This is because of the rusty, corroded connectors on the stock circuit boards. I cut what was left of the connector coming out of the body and used it to connect three new sockets on both sides. I wish I knew why circuit boards were installed OEM instead of sockets. The upper two bulbs are switchbacks from Autolumination, and the lower bulb is a 3157 18-LED tower bulb from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The housings are available from eBay seller 4caroption. The bulbs cost more than the housings.

Anomalies I noticed:
The red/white switchback allows for simultaneous operation of both red and white.
The red/white switchback is wired for standard sockets - soldering an additional wire solved the problem.
The sockets are wired for CK operation.
The installation direction of the amber/white switchback determined white-priority or amber-priority. (seen in video)

I will reinstall new Delphi connectors to allow use of the stock circuit boards if needed. I'll need both the male and female side, connectors available from Mouser. I'm using wire nuts right now. :lipsrsealed:

The socket modified to fit the housing:
HPIM0033.JPG

The circuit board opened, sockets removed, and cut for new sockets:
HPIM0034.JPG

Socket attachment to the housing:
HPIM0038.JPG

HPIM0039.JPG

Installed:
HPIM0041.JPG

HPIM0042.JPG

HPIM0043.JPG

Video:
[video=youtube;vOxf2BBkIgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxf2BBkIgw&feature=plcp&context=C4003023VDvjVQa1PpcFPXTT1qULtsTk9j5MFC2V5z EPmkirJnCQM=[/video]

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I'd like mine wired differently, but I love the sockets in place of the board, that would allow me to do what i want. Are the bases of the sockets just pinched between the housing and the board to hold the sockets in? Did you use the rubber rings to seal them?

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
That is correct on both. It should also be noted that longer screws should be used to attach the board to the housing because of it.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
DJones said:
That is correct on both. It should also be noted that longer screws should be used to attach the board to the housing because of it.

Very nice. Anyone got some old boards that maybe they gutted the pieces out of or stopped working that i can modify?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Very nice concept indeed.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:goodpost: Very cool mod, had to watch the video a 2nd time just to make sure I knew what switchbacks went with which function :biggrin: :cool:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
DJones said:

Seems like you could have even just left off half the board, the half you cut the square holes in. The difference in thickness caused by the new sockets would have been made up by the loss of half the board

In fact, then you'd only be using the lid where the circuit isn't anyways, meaning no cutting necessary, and the old board would be still usable should you ever change your mind, just put its lid back on. If that's the case, I wouldn't need extras, cause if the boss doesn't like it I can reverse it easily

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I need to flip the middle switchback on the right because it has white priority. I never use the turn signal while backing up, but for consistency.

The problem with using just the front half of the board was support. It's just a flat peice of plastic that bends easily. And there are no screw holes on the sides of the middle bulb.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
DJones said:
The problem with using just the front half of the board was support. It's just a flat peice of plastic that bends easily. And there are no screw holes on the sides of the middle bulb.

Gotcha. So the theory would work as I thought but be weak and a little too flexy. I may pop mine off and make a template and cut one a little stronger out of Lexan or some metal.

Feb 16, 2012
Bringing this thread back up, I NEED a set of clear tails like this!!! I would prefer not all chrome, but I would take whatever I can get nowadays! I checked the seller the OP had listed, and no such luck.

If anyone has any insight or leads on a set, PLEASE let me know!!

Nice job to OP!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online