DJM A Arms and Upper Ball Joint Removal

eB@WLZ

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Hey guys, I've had my TB dropped for quite a while now and am finally tired of looking at the camber wear on my tires. I travel for work between Houston and San Antonio quite a bit I've decided its time to fix the issue. I'm planning on ordering the new custom A arms from Tony and am considering replacing the upper ball joints since I have probably close to 60K miles on them with the extreme angle. I can't seem to find a lot of info on exactly how to swap out the upper ball Joints.

Can someone help me with the process and give me some suggestions for a good set of replacements?

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I bought some AC Delco greasable ones. The one on the right is a Dorman (or mevotech) and seized!

ba8c02b6.jpg

4c2a9bba.jpg

de9aba2a.jpg

8550ee0c.jpg

:biggrin:

eB@WLZ

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
So I can get the tools necessary like the pullers from my local parts store right? How far do I need to tear down the front hubs. It looks like I will at least need to remove the rotors and calipers to get the space i need to remove and reinstall the ball joint.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
ieatglue, are you using that tool to press the ball joint out and then to press the new 1 in with a socket?

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
eB@WLZ said:
So I can get the tools necessary like the pullers from my local parts store right? How far do I need to tear down the front hubs. It looks like I will at least need to remove the rotors and calipers to get the space i need to remove and reinstall the ball joint.

No need to remove the rotors or calipers. Just separate a arm from steering knuckly. Rent the powerbuilt ball joint kit, and you should be good to go

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
No need to remove the rotors or calipers. Just separate a arm from steering knuckly. Rent the powerbuilt ball joint kit, and you should be good to go

That's what I did. I just used that long one pictured to push out the old ball joint and push a new one in. You can also rent the Powerbuilt upper bushing service kit. The cups that come with it work well with the lower ball joint. I removed my entire lower control arm to do my ball joint. I couldn't get the axle off the hub. It was seized. The only way for the ball joint to clear the axle was to tilt the control arm downwards. I'm doing my passenger side tomorrow. I'll take some pictures

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I just heated mine up and smacked on it a few times. Came right out. New one taped right in with a socket.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
It's called the front end service kit. I used parts from the bushing kit, but you can just use a socket to the same effect.

Here's how I tackled my lower ball joint. I used the bushing kit for this install

Removal
c2f95bde.jpg

980e4d13.jpg

d2b0d1c4.jpg

Install
7139dee3.jpg

43079f13.jpg

4f5d70b6.jpg

99641747.jpg

Reactions: Camdo

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I bought 4! I just need a bigger jack. Mine's called big red and I got it for $30 at lolmart. I want one of those slim ones to fit under my lowered volvo!

94306d1218688337-floor-jack-those-slammed-rides-low-profile-jack.jpg

:drooling::drooling:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online