WANTED Ditch Light Brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey y'all. Surprised no one has attempted this but would anyone have thr desire to fab up some Ditch Lights for our platform? I think they would be an easy addition for anyone who doesnt have fogs or who wants a little more light but not wanting to put an led bar on their rig. Heres a pic of what im thinking...

Attachments

• 20151217_154551.jpg
    20151217_154551.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 70

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ugly and impedes view on trails. Not a fan at all.

Maybe a police type one on a swivel to screw with people, but better placement for lights by far with the roof and bumper

Reactions: Mounce

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I like the remote control golight spotlight on the top of the work van. Do not use it much but when i do is like daylight on demand.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Those remote lights are sweet, but expensive

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Ugly and impedes view on trails. Not a fan at all.

Maybe a police type one on a swivel to screw with people, but better placement for lights by far with the roof and bumper

Got to tear apart a P71 Crown Vic when I was a Fire Explorer. Those swivel lights dont really hold their position unless you dig the handle around the A Pillar.
--------
I think the ditch lights would still be sweet. I think if the bracket was made right, you wouldn't be able to see them nor would they cause loss of visibility. There's only one way to find out....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think the ditch lights would still be sweet. I think if the bracket was made right, you wouldn't be able to see them nor would they cause loss of visibility. There's only one way to find out....

This means YOU are volunteering to cut into your doors and A pillars, and then do a write up on how to make it happen. Thanks Ryan, GMTNation appreciates your efforts!!
deal.gif

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
This means YOU are volunteering to cut into your doors and A pillars, and then do a write up on how to make it happen. Thanks Ryan, GMTNation appreciates your efforts!!
deal.gif

If someone makes the brackets, I'll do the write up. Theres a 10mm fender bolt that i think could be utilized instead of cutting...smarter not harder is the motto.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bigger is better though.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If someone makes the brackets, I'll do the write up. Theres a 10mm fender bolt that i think could be utilized instead of cutting...smarter not harder is the motto.

I think you could take a crack at making a template for the brackets. You know what you've got in mind, and how you'd want it to work. Grab some cardboard, a sharpie, some tape, scissors and get creative with it. Depending on what you come up with, you might be able to make a prototype yourself. Or have someone expand on your template to make something functional. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
So you're saying that when you buy ditch lights, they do not come with some sort of mounting brackets at all or are they just a general mounting bracket that will not work with our platform? Anyone on ORTB have them or have you searched?

Kind of reminds me of a "Jeep thing".

Last edited:

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
The point of these threads is to find someone who has the ability to create the brackets. I live in a townhouse without a grage or many tools. I'll do the footwork and hopefully change your guys' mind about these.

Unfortunatly, I don't think the brackets that came with my lights will work with popping the hood and what have you....I will try maybe Sunday to be 100%.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't think any of us have tried it because it is a Jeep thing. I don't think you will gain much of anything with them there.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I don't think any of us have tried it because it is a Jeep thing. I don't think you will gain much of anything with them there.
I'm going to try it, not sure why everyone is so reluctant to a new idea, maybe I'm the ignorant one, but I don't see one 360 that has tried this (if so, someone post a link). No one can say whether it will work or not until it's been tested.

I'm also not sure what it being a "Jeep thing" has anything to do with it. Take roof mounted lightbars for example, those were a Jeep thing and everyone went crazy for them for our platform. All I'm saying here is, just because the Jeep guys do it, doesn't mean it doesn't work or it's dumb. We all have different tastes and this is something that I would like on my rig.

Reactions: Matt

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
To be fair, I googled "ditch light brackets" and got almost a page full of 4runner, and tacoma discussions. Three pages in before I seen a Jeep reference :smile:

I'm wondering if one of their pre-fabbed brackets would work for you with a slight modification, rather than you having to start from scratch.

15133617352_867bbbff7d_b.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67 and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

@SnowBlazer I concur with @stickypoop ...^... If I may suggest.... Have a look at these brackets... assuming you already have an idea of what you want in the manner of Ditch Lights and the Weather-Proof wiring set up they will of need require, then perhaps these will be adjustable enough in design to warrant a look-see... and besides... at under $30.00... the practical necessity of having what you want done in your Mind's Eye should not be inhibited because such a device needs some minor support mechanism re-invention to get the job done.

You won't need a two car garage and a triple decker tool chest chock full of everything in the way of tools ... just a nice, wide double layer of Cardboard and your Dining Room Table as a work space to do any Modding adjustments. When they are done, you can take them outside in the yard and grab a can of your "nearest match" Rustoleum paint and dress up the brackets in color, quality and appearance to look like they were custom made for your vehicle.

That said... As for your original idea and your motivation to pursue solving the problem with a new design, I salute you! As a successful inventor who has been laughed at for my efforts more often than most, I appreciate and know what it feels like for others not to understand that in matters of invention, if one focuses on the costs, the difficulties and even the impracticalities of what is possible to create from your own ideas... nothing would ever be invented...or ...RE-Invented... for that matter. I admire you, Sir.

I hope this link is helpful:

http://www.realtruck.com/hella-lighting-mounting-brackets/

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Why not fabricate a thin steel plate shaped to the side view mirror contour. The studs there are pretty long iirc. Then make your bend and have a flat mounting spot right at where the mirror folds... I don't know if it's legal or not but it should work/help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That is a great idea..^...but I think he mentioned that in his present living circumstances... he has neither the garage access, nor the tools to do the work.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The time of year, and his location, is definitely a hindrance to modding without an enclosed area. Given that there's now 3 mounting locations on the table, first step would have to be determining where the lights are gonna go.

The ones StickyPoop posted appear to be mounted on/under the wiper cowl? That seems like it would be an easier location as far as running wiring. Maybe have a flat piece of metal on the underside of the cowl, and a couple of L brackets bolted through the cowl, into the plate? Just spit balling... :undecided:

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Woke up this morning expecting less positive comments from everyone. I just want to say thanks to all of you for starting to support me.:grouphug:

As for my living condition, Blckshdw hit the nail right on the head. All the tools that I have are in the back of my Trailblazer. Sadly, my dad was never into tools so I didn't get blessed with my fathers tool collection. Hell, I don't have a Dremel or a soldering gun.:smile:rotfl:smile: All the tools I need for a project, I buy.

The ones StickyPoop posted appear to be mounted on/under the wiper cowl? That seems like it would be an easier location as far as running wiring. Maybe have a flat piece of metal on the underside of the cowl, and a couple of L brackets bolted through the cowl, into the plate? Just spit balling... :undecided:

Might run to Home Depot and see what I could find....

Why not fabricate a thin steel plate shaped to the side view mirror contour. The studs there are pretty long iirc. Then make your bend and have a flat mounting spot right at where the mirror folds... I don't know if it's legal or not but it should work/help.

I think I can see where you're coming from but if I or anyone else bumps and folds my mirror in, I don't want anything to get broken. Legally, I can put police strobe lights on the mirror cover as well as a Unity spotlight. You just aren't able to use them on the road.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I'm going to try it, not sure why everyone is so reluctant to a new idea, maybe I'm the ignorant one, but I don't see one 360 that has tried this (if so, someone post a link). No one can say whether it will work or not until it's been tested.

I'm also not sure what it being a "Jeep thing" has anything to do with it. Take roof mounted lightbars for example, those were a Jeep thing and everyone went crazy for them for our platform. All I'm saying here is, just because the Jeep guys do it, doesn't mean it doesn't work or it's dumb. We all have different tastes and this is something that I would like on my rig.

I don't think anyone is being negative or knocking your idea. Sounds like you have come up with a mod that no one has tried with our platform, especially if you found nothing on ORTB. I was just asking if ditch lights in general are sold with a generic bracket, sold with vehicle specific brackets, or its up to the buyer to fabricate their own.

I was not knocking your idea or Jeeps. I was just mentioning that it reminded me of what you see on Jeeps is all.

I like poop's idea with maybe trying to start with one of the 4Runner brackets and modify from there. Might get this moving along quicker than waiting around to track down a fab shop.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I don't think anyone is being negative or knocking your idea. Sounds like you have come up with a mod that no one has tried with our platform, especially if you found nothing on ORTB. I was just asking if ditch lights in general are sold with a generic bracket, sold with vehicle specific brackets, or its up to the buyer to fabricate their own.

I was not knocking your idea or Jeeps. I was just mentioning that it reminded me of what you see on Jeeps is all.

I like poop's idea with maybe trying to start with one of the 4Runner brackets and modify from there. Might get this moving along quicker than waiting around to track down a fab shop.
I gotcha. I don' have any hard feelings at all about this, it's just annoying when people jump to conclusions and say it won't work, without ever trying it. Speaking of which, after i washed my truck, I decided that I needed to move the lights that were in my LS cutouts to where the tow hooks would go. While moving the lights I toyed with my idea. Sadly, unlinke the 4Runner platform, we don't have really any bolts that are exposed. And as you guys know, I will not drill anywhere that can leave a gateway to rust. So here's an idea that came to mind...

The bracket would utilize the two 14mm hood hinge bolts, come up the space between the fender and hood, wrapping around ontop of the hood. I was surprised about visibility, honestly, it wasn't bad for 4" lights. Here's the pics...

Attachments

• 20151219_123511.jpg
    20151219_123511.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20151219_123451.jpg
    20151219_123451.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 21

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't remember off the top of my head... but the hinge bolts don't leave much room for clearance... and you could mess up the hood alignment which if you are doing it by yourself could prove to be tricky to get back in place...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure if you want to continue this thread seeing as you got it for sale....:goodevil:

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
full frontal.jpg I would have loved some of these for my green truck...I wanted the cop-style alley lights that go through the A-pillar and when I asked the professionals about what I was after they were baffled. So I installed some Rigid spots in the tow-hook area on a 45-ish degree angle to light up the ditches when I'm sideways. It was fucking cool!

Attachments

• full frontal.jpg
    full frontal.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online