Disabling auto lights

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
What started as doing another member a favor by measuring a resistor that I had used for auto light killing resulted in me ripping the lead out of the resistor....since I had to do it again, here's some pics.

Light sensor plugged in, uncovered

590d4183.jpg

Light sensor plugged in, covered (note: I didn't wait the 1 minute for it to turn the lights on, hence the 0% low beam duty cycle)

15a6d661.jpg

Light sensor unplugged

001dbe7d.jpg

The resistor that I had got from BO TIE SS was 100 ohm and worked as intended. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything close on hand, so I tried a 1200 ohm.

c121c2a3.jpg

I put the resistor in place of the light sensor (of course, this is temporary for testing purposes only, shoving resistors into connectors is straight up ghetto)

861e7ea3.jpg

This pulled the sensor voltage at the BCM to 2.7v, and the autolights turned off

0192aa4b.jpg

I made a mini loop with the resistor inside.....

9652b301.jpg

....and tied it into the sensor wiring like the previous one was. The sensor does not get plugged back in.

d901b9d1.jpg

So, I can confirm that any resistor between 100 and 1200 ohms will work for doing this.

All credit goes to BO TIE SS since I learned about this from him.:cool:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wasn't there some sort of toggle switch bypass involved too? Or am I misremembering?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
MAY03LT is in Delaware, I'm just north of Philly, Hmmmmmmmm... :smile:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
MAY03LT said:
All credit goes to BO TIE SS since I learned about this from him.:cool:
Thanks Drew. But I have to pass on the credit to Tblazed since I got the resistor value from one of his posts.

Blckshdw said:
Wasn't there some sort of toggle switch bypass involved too? Or am I misremembering?
In my mod there is. (and you don't delete the sensor) When I get some pictures together, I'm going to submit an article on that version.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Blckshdw said:

Yeah, there is an option to have a switch involved which would take the resistor in/out of the loop depending on the switch position. This would be used for HIDs. When it is dark, and the key is turned to run, the auto lights will come on, and stay on during cranking. This supposedly isn't good for the lifespan of the ballasts. The toggle allowed the auto lights to be manually turned off prior to turning the truck on.

the roadie said:
I'm so jealous of your Tech II I had to do this: :raspberry:

Why I oughta!:rotfl::biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online