Dipstick tubes help

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Hello everyone. REALLY need some advice. Replacing the exhaust manifold on my 03 TB. Can anyone tell me how to move the trans. and engine dipstick tubes out of the way. Can't afford to have anything break or leak. I think the tranny one will tilt enough toward the fender and someone told me you can just twist the oil one toward the fender for more access but wanted more opinions.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The trans dipstick tube should just pull out after removing the bellhousing bolt. The oil dipstick, after removing the bolt, should just twist and pull out.

I can't remember when I replaced mine 11 years ago but I figure that's to allow some expansion for heat. Maybe that's why the originals would sometimes pop off the bolt heads.

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Do I have to remove them to gain access to the manifold or will they just give me enough clearance? Will I need new o-rings for both? Didn't see a second bracket for the trans. Will look again tomorrow.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Definitely remove the Transmission Fluid Dipstick Tube... it'll make your life easier. It bolts to a stud on the manifold and pulls right out of the transmission once the bolt is removed.
Start the process of sourcing a new grommet/o-ring for it NOW.... I was able to get one for less than $7 overnight, but you may not have that kind of luck. If you have anything resembling luck it won't be difficult to put back in however, I struggled with it. Here is a brief thread covering my difficulties with that grommet/o-ring: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/transmission-dipstick-tube-seal-difficulties.21212/. While my dipstick tube was out of the car I cleaned it extremely well with brake cleaner, removed all rust with a steel brush and sand paper, and painted exposed metal with a decent high temp spray paint (no recollection on brand). DEFINITELY install the new heatshield with the new manifold as it will preserve the life of the dipstick tube and transmission lines (and reduce underhood temperatures).

As for the oil dipstick.... part of me believes that I simply rotated it out of the way. But I also recall that it is probably the easiest thing to remove during the manifold R&R procedure, so I may have pulled it and set it aside without so much as a thought.

For what it's worth, here's my Exhaust Manifold replacement thread: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/exhaust-manifold-replacment-input-requested.21156/
It's wordy, and there are some attempts at humor and there's an example of bad parenting in there. Almost everything that could have gone wrong, did. But I got it done.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online