Dipstick Readings Very Erratic

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
My daughter’s 2002 Envoy 4.2 SLT has never leaked or burned oil, not a drop but over time there are strange dipstick readings indicating barely measurable oil. This can’t be right because after a few more attempts to measure its fine. This is before starting of course and seems to related to a certain position of the dipstick. Do not want to over fill but clearly this isn’t normal. She needs to drive it today but she is not close to me so I just can’t pop over there to check it but I have noticed this measurement oddity myself a few times.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the dipstick end made of plastic? It's absolutely terrible. I had one on my 02 and replaced it with a metal tipped one from a later model. Should be cheap at a U-pull yard.

Reactions: bfairweath

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If you have erratic readings, the tip is likely dragging on the ID of the dipstick tube

Turn the side with the markings so it faces the inside curve of the tube. If you cannot tell from that, look at the backside of the tip, should be a pronounced line.

Usually one side will get wiped but the markings are on a recess so should always be visible.

You could spray the tip with electronics cleaner to remove all the oil...brakekleen may be ok, not sure.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thanks for these tips I know for certain this 4.2 engine isn’t leaking and it’s not drinking either. Good suggestions thanks will try the cleaning and confirm if this one has the plastic tip. Thanks!!

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
One more, abit more slight, make sure you are absolutely level surfaces. (wonder how I know this myself...). My driveway (dirt) appears level, but it could show off on the dipstick. Pulled it into the garage and it would show full. If you have a garage most floors "lean" towards the street and are not a level surface so again just be on a level surface when checking you oil level.
just my 2¢

Reactions: xavierny25
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I "spin" the dipstick when checking it.
I pull the stick, clean it and reinsert it, then "spin" it once while fully seated, then pull to check. This usually gives me a line of oil that if I can't read it on the markings side I can usually read it on the obverse side. Spinning it should also make it obvious if it has gotten "stuck" on the way in.
Also, I've cleaned mine as gmcman has suggested using both electronics cleaner and brakekleen. Neither helped much as the plastic's color is pretty much permanently equal to that of brown eggs or darker. I've been tempted to "polish" it with Mother's Mag Wheel Cleaner (which does work well on plasic, BTW), but that just seems like more work than it's worth. A metal-tipped dipstick from a U-Pull-It as mooseman suggested is probably the best bet and I'll be keeping an eye out for one for myself.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
One more, abit more slight, make sure you are absolutely level surfaces. (wonder how I know this myself...). My driveway (dirt) appears level, but it could show off on the dipstick. Pulled it into the garage and it would show full. If you have a garage most floors "lean" towards the street and are not a level surface so again just be on a level surface when checking you oil level.
just my 2¢
just my 2¢

Yes, perhaps that could be part of the issue here since it moves around. There are no pronounced inclined on the surfaces when measured, but if you are saying the slight slant of the garage floor for drainage could throw the readings off up to a quart, now this is beginning to shed some light on just how sensitive this is which I did not, especially with the slant of a garage floor.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Yes, perhaps that could be part of the issue here since it moves around. There are no pronounced inclined on the surfaces when measured, but if you are saying the slight slant of the garage floor for drainage could throw the readings off up to a quart, now this is beginning to shed some light on just how sensitive this is which I did not, especially with the slant of a garage floor.

I am ~skeptical~ that this is your issue. An incline will throw off the level, yes. But a quart is an awful lot to be off by. Keep in mind that there is some margin of safety with oil level. The dipstick's markings, manufacturing variations affecting the capacity of the pan, the temperature of the oil, and many other factors affect where the actual level is. Heck, if you've ever unbolted your dipstick from the block, it's entirely possible it didn't go back to its exact factory location. If the level is above "add" and below "full.... you're fine. If you're expecting the level to be "dead nuts" you'll be disappointed. I can get 2 slightly different readings minutes apart without starting or moving the vehicle.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
We have added 2 quarts to get it just below the F but quite happy for the middle area. I just remember it ever deviating that much since I got it with 23k miles. She is going to watch it more frequently to establish a consist pattern. Thanks!!

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
What you didn't indicate was time periods between when you last checked. Its hard to believe that you can add 2 quarts to get a "good measurement" as opposed to the "multi attempts" prior to that which gave "irregular measurements". My guess is that the system is / was low and your "multi-attempts" were picking previous "leftovers" in the tube which eventually you read as "good". With the "no pcv valve" operation, oil "loss" won't necessarily be noticeable but will eat thru oil in most cases.

Of course, depending on when the last change might have been (or last add), you could have done a "official check" by doing a change / drain / measure, then you could have confirmed where the oil was or wasn't. :smile:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
What you didn't indicate was time periods between when you last checked. Its hard to believe that you can add 2 quarts to get a "good measurement" as opposed to the "multi attempts" prior to that which gave "irregular measurements". My guess is that the system is / was low and your "multi-attempts" were picking previous "leftovers" in the tube which eventually you read as "good". With the "no pcv valve" operation, oil "loss" won't necessarily be noticeable but will eat thru oil in most cases.

Of course, depending on when the last change might have been (or last add), you could have done a "official check" by doing a change / drain / measure, then you could have confirmed where the oil was or wasn't. :smile:

This is a good point. How many miles / how long a time since your last oil change and fluid level check? This motor does consume oil - some more than others. There are also several leak prone areas such as the valve cover, coil valleys, etc. If you burned/leaked 2 quarts between oil changes (3000+ miles) I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed. If you burned/leaked 2 quarts in a few hundred miles you would have other symptoms: bad spark plugs, plugged catalytic converter, fluid in the plug valleys, noticeable quantities of oil wherever you parked, etc.

My preferred oil check is after the car has sat overnight. I check the oil without starting/running the engine and without moving the vehicle. Literally, I pop the hood and pull the dipstick, clean and replace it, then wait a second or two and pull it to check. 95% I'll get a good clear reading doing just that. If not, I'll clean and reinsert, then spin the handle 1 full revolution while fully seated. Then pull and check. If I find that it's "dry" below the middle of the range, I'll add either a half or full quart depending on how low it is.

Having been ~nearly~ stranded due to vehicle faults on more than one occasion as a youngster I now keep in my vehicles things that seem silly to some, but help increase my chances of getting home without a tow bill and without sleeping in the car. 1 full quart of motor oil - NO LESS. 1 used but serviceable fan belt (when you change one, keep the old one). 1 used but serviceable low beam headlight bulb (gets you home, can get you out of a ticket in some cases). 1 used but serviceable taillight bulb (ditto). At one point in time I also carried a pint of brake fluid, a full quart of transmission fluid, and a quart of power steering fluid but over the years I found that if I needed to add brake fluid while out and about, I shouldn't be driving the vehicle (proportioning valve failure, 100% fluid loss). If I needed to add power steering fluid whatever quantities I would add would soon leak back out (split the rack once, broke a fitting once). The transmission fluid is another matter. I once nursed my bravada 25 miles to my destination stopping every few miles to add a full quart of transmission fluid - I bought every quart the rest stop had and used almost all of them. My transmission line had rusted through and fluid was "raining" on the back window (and pissing off everyone behind me). The next day it took almost 5 quarts of transmission fluid to get it to the dealership 5 miles away. $500 and 2 days later I got my car back. Bastards even charged me for a car wash. I now no longer carry transmission fluid with me because I've gone over every thing I can with the tranny to make sure I don't need to - including new lines, pan gasket, dipstick grommet, etc. If I need quarts of tranny fluid now, it's probably toast.

If you were LEAKING a lot of engine oil you would see oily deposits on the hatch. If the hatch is dusty, look for discolored spots where the dust and oil mix - they'll be slightly darker than the surrounding areas. The rear window will also show it but if you use your wiper it may appear as streaks that won't go away or get "creamy" when you use the wiper.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Great precautionary preparations. I usually carry a couple of quarts full synthetic which I have always used. My 2006 Denali 5.3L was consuming oil a lot more than I felt was normal 2-3 Qts between the change signal of the driver info display. I very recently had PCM of NC to disable DOD as I realize this causes oil consumption in most of the 5.3L engines so I’m just beginning to monitor the oil on that vehicle now. The 2002 Envoy with the 4.2L is the one where my daughter reported the oil issue. I owned and drive this car 60k mikes without ever needing to add a drop of oil and I always checked it several times between changes which always occurred at 6k mile intervals using pure synthetic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.