Difficulty removing clutch fan

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
update:tongue:repared to reinstall the rad. and it start raining
still wondering if the prestone is OK for the 07 GMs>

mooseman excellent advice on flusing
aaserv yes lets see you're method where where you before I spent almost $30. for a seldom used wrench. I've sean PPL use vice grip w/ youre methd I mainly purchased wrench to prevent pulley damage. thanks
edit I just noticed the new denso rad has a petcock thats a good thing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're flushing it out completely, that would be fine. It's supposed to mix with all types however I don't trust that claim. I just stick with Dexcool for compatibility.

Reactions: Sprung Monkey

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Was in a hurry but wanted to get this up. I think anyone can figure out what to do from here. Also with the air intake off I could have placed the wrench where it hit metal instead of the pulley but you get the idea Im sure.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Can I remove the thremostate, I think if I press down and twist the thremostate will separate from it’s housing. Is this true or false?
Sure you can remove the thermostat "heat motor" from the housing. I believe it was a push and twist as you suggested. At least with the 4.2 it was...

Last edited:

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Can I remove the thremostate, I think if I press down and twist the thremostate will separate from it’s housing. Is this true or false?

I did that once and it wasn't calibrated properly afterwards. The engine wouldn't heat up past about 155 degrees and the computer kept it in open loop which chewed gas and hurt performance.

As far as which clutch check this thread out

The Hayden turned out to be an inferior part, it was poorly built and it didn't pass the specifications laid out in the manual the Mahle/Behr was superior in construction and performance. I think someone said the Mahle/Behr was the same as AC Delco but I never confirmed this. Look at the pictures and you can see right away the difference in Quality between Made in USA and Made in China.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
thanks for link I'll look it over. here's what I have MAHLE / CLEVITE $142.
got her back together, evidently I snugged the fan clught tight enough w/ the channel locks didn't really feel it tighten the last tiny bit of snuggness anyway she's been running smooth for about a total of 15minutes so I'm assumming the engine torqueing tightened it?
I probablly would've had a better fan/clutgh w/ the Mahle/Behr I passed on at junk yard while getting the fan.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Just test it.

Part of why I went through all that trouble was to create a test with baseline numbers that could be used to compare to other clutches. Using OBDII you can command the clutch to run anywhere from 0% to 100% (of the rotation speed of the water pump pulley - IIRC)

If you command 100% and rev the engine to 3000 RPM the fan should be "desired" by the PCM to spin around 3450RPM (the water pump spins faster than the engine due to pulley ratios).

If the fan won't spin close to 3450 at 3000RPM with command 100% then it's failing and should be replaced. The PCM will throw code P0483 if the clutch runs 1000RPM slower than "desired" for 5 seconds while the RPM is below 3200RPM and not varying by more than 250RPM. (designed for a test condition of engine under constant heavy load such as towing uphill)

The brand new Haydon I bought from Rock Auto failed (they gave me a full refund when they saw my data).

Who knows what condition the junk yard clutch you bought is in but this is a way to find out. better now then on the side of the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: linneje

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I'm not sure if the fan is on tight enough.

I never got the 12" creasent the engines been running for a few minutes so did the engine tighten the fan or should I get the 12" cresent?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
woops my bad I reread post #5 thanks mooseman, I'm counting it as tight.
I'll take her out today for a short cruise around.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.