Different pressure front/rear

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
On the lable by the door, it states that front tires should be 30 PSI, rear tires 35 PSI. I don't think any of my tire professionals have been doing this, I just noticed it myself. Does anybody change pressures front to rear? Mine is a 2005 TB LT 4 wheel drive.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I always ran 35 front and rear. Never had weird wear patterns, got over 60k out of 50k rated tires.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I run 30 front 35 rear like the label says but, I have to admit I can't see why an unloaded vehicle needs more psi in the rear, if anything I would think that the rear needs less psi...:confused:

Reactions: Redbeard

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
35 front and rear . Figure i will get a little more miles out of them running all of them a little harder with just a slightly harsher ride from the firmer front tires . that and the stupid tpms wont be going off all the time in the winter if they drop to 27 pounds .

I run 30 front 35 rear like the label says but, I have to admit I can't see why an unloaded vehicle needs more psi in the rear, if anything I would think that the rear needs less psi...:confused:
They do that so if you need to tow anything you have more air pressure in the rear tires .

Reactions: Matt

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
They do that so if you need to tow anything you have more air pressure in the rear tires .

Yeah, I get that but, assuming that you don't tow 99% of the time seems like a waste of precious center tread to follow the door jamb instruction.

I don't know why this looks like this but, it won't edit out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
OEM recommendations are for OEM tires. New tires have different ratings. My fronts are 51 psi max so I run 45. Rear are OEM so I don't go above 35. I don't care if it doesn't ride like a cadillac.
On a recent trip to the PYP I found several different tire stickers on gmt360s - from 30 psi front/rear to 35front and 30 rear to 35psi front/rear. Even GM changed their tune depending on the tires they used.
Ford Exploder tires failed from overheating due to low inflation/overloading - 26 psi was the minimum allowed by Firestone and you know what a disaster that was.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Tires have a max sidewall PSI yes, but that is just max and doesn't affect what you run the pressure at unless you've changed tire type or size. Generally, you always start at the door sticker. OEM tires will also be rated at higher PSI than the sticker says because they aren't vehicle specific either.

As long as your tires wear evenly you're fine, but you very likely don't need to run 45 PSI in stock sized P metric tires.

Reactions: Redbeard

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm another 35 PSI guy. Do the same in the wife's car as well.

Reactions: xavierny25

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Remember that pressure changes the contact patch of your tires too.
Put 40psi is, spread chalk all over the face of the tire, and drive a few feet down a flat road and see where it wears off. Probably a thin strip down the middle.
Now put .... you get the idea.

It's a trade off point between good traction, and so soft that the tire falls off the rim going around a corner.
And of course, each tire, on each model of vehicle will be different.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do a chalk test or you are guessing at what the tire really needs put in it. Once you change tire brand/size/rating you cant just go off some silly I think this is right or the sidewall says max or my other tires ran this crap. Take 10 minutes and a piece of chalk as stated above and dial in the pressure for the best wear and ride and safety. I was amazed at how much more PSI the new 35s like than the others did.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I did 35 all around. It made the steering noticeably nicer than when i did 30 in the front. Otherwise it's been fine. I never understood it myself. The truck is heavier in the front, shouldn't the front have more air?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher