Difference between 5.3 and SS brakes?

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Looking at buying a set of BrakeMotive drilled/slotted rotors and pads in the next few months, but I've come across a small situation. I looked up the part for my truck, says for 5.3 engines or EXT which would mean a 12.8" rotor (same as the SS right?). But the price on these is $211, and the price on the SS kit is $230. I'm assuming it should be the same thing right, or are the calipers different and the pads aren't going to fit or something? Was thinking about spending the extra $20 if the SS rotor was a little bigger or something, but I thought I remembered reading that the 5.3's and EXT's had 12.8" rotors just like the SS. Can anyone clarify?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I checked on Tire Rack, and the SS had a different part# for the front rotors.

2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors Front = 120.66064

2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT or 5.2 SWB Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors Front = 120.66053

The pads listed have the same part#

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I'll pipe in for what it's worth. My 9-7 has the 5.3 and I just replaced the rear pads and rotors this past Friday. I get my brake parts from a wholesaler who will sell to the public. He was confused he said when he came back with the parts because he said the pads and rotors are the same as the Tahoe. He apparently didn't know GM owned SAAB at one time and hadn't come across a 9-7 before. We always talk about the differences between the models in the 360 line up and so I never realized GM just slapped some Tahoe brakes on the 5.3's. By the way the wholesale price on the parts was much less than retail so those drilled and slotted rotors were a lot cheaper. Retail pricing parts pricing just pisses me off since the markups are large. The same pads for example that were $30 wholesale were $52 at the retail parts store.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Eather set is more than you need for breaks. I never had any trouble stopping any tb. If your towing, the trailer should do most of the breaking. I would save the money. If its for looks, than that will be what ever you like. I know 16" wheels do not clear the breaks on a ss.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Jkust said:
I'll pipe in for what it's worth. My 9-7 has the 5.3 and I just replaced the rear pads and rotors this past Friday. I get my brake parts from a wholesaler who will sell to the public. He was confused he said when he came back with the parts because he said the pads and rotors are the same as the Tahoe. .

Does the Saab have a different bolt pattern than the rest of the 360's and 370's?

The Tahoe has a different bolt pattern than the 360 line.

The pads might fit but the rotors shouldn't.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Wooluf is right, the pads may fit but unless the Saab has the tahoe lug pattern the tahoe rotors wouldn't fit.

Storm yea for me it was honestly mostly about aesthetics, I think rims look better when you have a set of drilled / slotted behind them versus a stock rotor. But at the same time I have a big system in the back, so I figured an extra $20 for slightly better brakes would be worth it to me.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Saab has the same bolt pattern as the rest of the 360s

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Don't know about Tahoes just what the brake guy said. first thing i wondered about was the bolt pattern fitting when i put them on as well. He actually pulled a rotor out of the package when he told me the part numbers were the same so he wasn't referring to the pads. He must have been confused.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
fr34kout said:
Wooluf is right, the pads may fit but unless the Saab has the tahoe lug pattern the tahoe rotors wouldn't fit.

Storm yea for me it was honestly mostly about aesthetics, I think rims look better when you have a set of drilled / slotted behind them versus a stock rotor. But at the same time I have a big system in the back, so I figured an extra $20 for slightly better brakes would be worth it to me.

I not sure about the 5.3 but the ss brakes are alot better than my 03 brakes. They stop really good. I too like the drilled + slotted look. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online