Diesel noise urgent

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Guys what up been so long! Finally heading home after such a long time. I went through Kuwait for some work and as was getting ready to head home I stopped at the gas station and this is what I heard

[video=youtube;-f5Rsm7HxRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f5Rsm7HxRY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I recently changed my oil that's the only maintenance done .
If the car is in idle for a bit the noise goes away.

Thanks! In the meantime will be searching some more. My laptop is dead and using my iPhone and now staying at some cheap hotel not knowing where to go lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I hear some ticking lifter noise. That's normal. What weight and quality oil was installed?

If there's a lower frequency noise from the exhaust manifold side that goes away as it heats up, that could be a cracked manifold.

What specifically do you hear in these that's of a "diesel" nature?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I'm kind of thinking its the oil. I just wish could remember what the brand is!!

I know ford uses it. It's a blended synthetic oil, was the closest thing to what I use on the road of traveling.

Engine is cooling off now so gonna be heading out soon and see if the noise comes back. The noise came out of the blue today no introductions.

Will check the manifold bolts too. I hope it's not cracked I got no Idea where to go here in Kuwait. How dangerous is it to drive back hom? About 400 kilometers from here, and say I drove home at night when it's cooler

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Ps: the noise actually increases as it heats up, but when parked in idle and no load on the engine it goes away. Place my bet on the oil?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
the roadie said:
You must have checked the level. New filter, too? You had it changed on the trip, not at home? Why? Some urgent reason?

Yup levels are good! I've been traveling since end of July and haven't got home yet lol! Put over 10k on mileage so had to!

Just went down to my truck, ran her up and smooth as can be no noise or anything. I tightened the bolts around the oil cap, were a bit loose but nothing to be worried about.

If it was a cracked manifold would the ticking be constant regardless?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
the roadie said:
Cracked manifolds make an exhaust noise, not ticking.

Thanks good to know. I drove around town for about an hour and no noises or ticking sounds! I'm pretty sure it's the oil now!

Ticking first occurred after driving around in temps over 50 degrees Celsius! I went out to a few places for an oil change but couldn't find anything with 10/40 so far. All is 10/30 mainly motorcraft (the same I got in my engine now).

I might just go back to Castrol magnetic, yes it's heavy but gives me max protection in this kind of weather and never faced such problems like this before.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Finally back home after a complete month of traveling. The noise was no doubt because of the oil. I remember that people did use the motorcraft oil in their trucks.

Anyways it didn't do me good and should of realized that because of its cheap price not to mention it runs in fords lol!

Bottom line I switched the oil with castrol 10/40 heavier yes but my engine has over 200k now so think it's a better choice and to be honest don't really feel the difference than lighter oils.

Completed my trip home and was smooth thank god. My family was with me too so wouldnt have been convenient to be stranded in the desert at 50 degrees Celsius.

Thanks for chiming in roadie! Helped me exclude the manifold and concentrate on the obvious!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
I hear some ticking lifter noise. That's normal. What weight and quality oil was installed?

If there's a lower frequency noise from the exhaust manifold side that goes away as it heats up, that could be a cracked manifold.

What specifically do you hear in these that's of a "diesel" nature?

I thought we didn't have lifters? I have the same frequency noise but not as loud. Seems to be louder on the bottom end of the engine near oil pan. Would really like to know exactly what this is.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I thought we didn't have lifters? I have the same frequency noise but not as loud. Seems to be louder on the bottom end of the engine near oil pan. Would really like to know exactly what this is.

So I'm back with the same problem but as u described the noise is much lower now and can hear it most from the lower side. Mainly when I stick my head under the fender.

Guess it is the lifters but how do I get rid of it? Never had this before. Happens regardless engine cool or hot, anyhow I do need to change my thermostat which I already bought.

It's a long shot but maybe just maybe my engine isn't getting to the right temp level causing ticking yeh yeh I'm no mastermind but that's all what I got now lol

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I haven't heard my ticking as much lately. Just got done changing the oil and flushing the engine again with a couple quarts of Engine flush. Also gmcman gave me some BG 44K and that may have helped. Will go out in a few and check for ya.

In the mean time I would recommend you check the compression. Mine is low. This is about the only thing I found in common with the ticking that could be classified as not normal.

Edit: I checked the noise coming from the engine and what I had before that seemed like a knocking sound is totally gone when starting cold. After it starts climbing to 195F it is slightly noticeable but not nearly as much as before.

You might want to run some Valve Medic through the engine or do a flush with 5W-30 and see how that affects the noise. I would also stick with 5W-30 or 10W-30 since the 10W-40 is a bit thicker at operating temp and could cause some flow issues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online