Did you want salt on that XUV ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just love the description:

Beautiful (Really?) 2004 GMC Envoy XUV 4WD 5.3L V8 with 80,700 miles! (you're missing a digit before the 8) Interior is in great shape (if you like a salty carpet). Leather seats (driver weighed 350lbs), heated seats (that don't work), sunroof (that probably leaks). Just put tons of work into it (why???), lots of new parts. Brakes, brake hoses, caliper, tie rods, upper control arms, upper and lower ball joints, fan clutch, starter, battery (needed all this after just 80k miles???). Tires are like new.(from 2010) Will need a right front ABS sensor (what, you couldn't change that at the same time as all the other parts?) (no light on but sometimes the pedal will pulse at a slow stop, scanner said right front sensor fault.) Car is ready to go! (to the scrap yard) 2800 or b/o (I offer $100)

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Not rust !....PATINA!.....has been lightened for better ET's....:2thumbsup:
otoh...if true 80 K car the LM4 (non DOD) engine might be nice for a project once the seller realizes it's a $500 parts car.

Reactions: Reprise

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well.. I guess it sold. It has been deleted. Its amazing what some people that are used to rust will settle for!

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looking at that body, the frame had to look like swiss cheese.....

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Safety requirements must be lower in NY. I have seen vehicles in that state and are truly awful. Unlike people, the vehicles lose weight with the rust there. Like, we have the same winters here just 40 minutes from the border and we don't have nearly as much rust as they do. They must overuse salt there.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Safety requirements must be lower in NY. I have seen vehicles in that state and are truly awful. Unlike people, the vehicles lose weight with the rust there. Like, we have the same winters here just 40 minutes from the border and we don't have nearly as much rust as they do. They must overuse salt there.
The new trend here is that a lot of people get the annual rust preventative treatment and unlike the old treatments(Ziebart,etc.) this stuff really works. Had my JGC done when I first got it.
I don't know if we use more salt than most but, now usage is driven by the lawyers not the weather. My son supervises the NYSDOT plowing and when in doubt they salt to avoid future litigation, should a driver hit a patch of unsalted ice. Also salt allotment is based on history so if you don't use it you lose it. NYS annual inspection will not pass a vehicle with a rust compromised undercarriage.
That's the lesson today for NY road salting....
BTW I once bought a vehicle from Ottawa that had more rust than metal, I sold after using 30 lbs. of Mig wire from just the windshield forward...but, that's another story.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know if we use more salt than most but, now usage is driven by the lawyers not the weather.

Ah yes. Land of the lawsuits. Makes perfect sense.

Having gone to Ogdensburg more times than I can count, I've have seen truly rusted out hulks of just about every type of vehicle. Here, we see mostly trucks that are rusted out but for some reason, those in NY seem worse. In Ontario, vehicles only get inspected if being sold or forced by the police due to obvious deficiencies but that is rare. There used to to be a lot of rusty vehicles here but I think people don't try to make them last longer than they should. My Saab is getting there with rusted out quarters and tail gate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online