Did the 05 have intake manifold issues?

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I’ve heard from a bunch of people that Chevy had an issue with the intake manifold cracking from the heat so I was wondering if the 05 LS I6 was part of it?
Since I’ve had it off so many times for the injectors if it wasn’t cracked but ready to all that moving around I could have finished it off and would explain all my issues. Thanks guys

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Never heard of that issue on our platform

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Yeah man, not on the 4.2L. The 3.4/3.5 and intake problems were a hell yes in every year made and that's where the GM six cylinders got the reputation.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, our manifolds are solid!

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
A head Chevy tech I know said they had issues cracking due to the heats so I was curious if that was my issue since I can’t see it for it has a cover then foam in between

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've heard of maybe one failure on these but the bolts do loosen. I don't know if it's because of improper torquing at the factory or because of the manifold itself. LS V8 engines is another story.

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I've heard of maybe one failure on these but the bolts do loosen. I don't know if it's because of improper torquing at the factory or because of the manifold itself. LS V8 engines is another story.
See I have mine tight but I don’t have a torque wrench or should I say I don’t have one that isn’t broken lol.
I know the bolts are tight and I did snapnone thankfully it was the bottom where it goes to 2 bolts and the top one is fine.
Like I said before I never replaced the gasket even though I had the manifold off and on atleast 6 times and same goes with the throttle body.
I know there is a leak all my codes point back to that but I can’t find the dam thing unless there are hoses behind the block I can’t see other than that I’ve even went as far to buy all new vacuum lines?
Maybe it is the manifold gasket and even though it looks fine maybe it has a small tear I can’t see or doesn’t extend out as much as it should and not making a full connection.
It’s killing me cause I know the fix is a piece of cake but finding where it is is a nightmare!!! 😂
I wonder if anyone by me rents a smoke machine? I saw on a YouTube video the guy pushed smoke threw and found the leak ASAP cause I really don’t want to Take the manifold of again for what feels like the 100th time lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The problem is not with our intake manifold. There is a known issue of the exhaust manifold cracking.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Te best way I've found to find vacuum leaks is with carb cleaner with the engine running. Spray some around each intake manifold runner, injector, the throttle body and any other hose or vacuum connection. When the idle speed changes, that's a leak.

And exhaust manifold leaks or cracks can suck in some air and make the O2 sensor think it's running lean.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online