Did my ignition switch bite the dust?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hello all, so I'm wondering if my ignition switch is shot. I haven't driven the Envoy in about 5 days. Got in yesterday to swap out the front brake lines and noticed the truck had a slow crank but started. Drove fine for most of the day, left it overnight and got in this morning and it wouldn't start. It cranked once or twice and started clicking. I couldn't get my remote start to lock the doors, but it will unlock. Ran inside and grabbed my dad's jump pack. Left it for a few minutes, it had a slow crank but started right up. My RPM and MPH guages work, the gas, oil, temp and volt gauges are not functioning. Most of the warning lights are illuminated on the dash. My aftermarket radio stays on even when the truck is off, interior lights stay on until you hit the dome switch. Drove it to Advanced and the battery and alternator passed the tests. My door lock won't manually lock when I try to lock it with the key.

Would a flaky ignition switch cause this? Or would a bad door module do this? I had an issue similar to this two years ago when I blew the mega fuse. One of the parts counter guys said it could be the driver door module but I haven't really seen anything about those going bad on the forums, which had me question maybe it's the switch since that seems to cause the weirdest issues on these trucks.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds more like a bad battery to me or a weak charge. If you jump the starter relay, if it's still slow, I would suspect the battery.

Reactions: Mounce and Redbeard

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Would the weak charge be enough to cause the cluster and warning light to come on? I've just enough seen anything like this before from a bad battery and the like. Now that it was left running it starts up normally, but everything else still isn't functioning the way it should.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A weak battery can cause all sorts of weird stuff, even if it starts.

Reactions: BrianF and Redbeard

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
That's so bizarre! I'll be taking back over to Interstates service center to have it re-tested. I left the battery disconnected for an hour and now all the gauges are functioning, no warning lights and its starting up just fine like nothing ever happened. 😕

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Battery posts are clean, and the terminal bolts were replaced in the fall.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd still get the battery tested.

Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I had a parasitic draw on my TB a few years back. SAIS pump causing issues. killed the battery and once it was jumped and restarted I had all sorts of weird codes. As well had all sorts of quirks pop up. Eventually they all cleared and things were good.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I have the 5.3, so no worries about the SAIS.

Reactions: TollKeeper

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
If your door module is bad, it will get worse over time, and you won't be able to operate the window at some point, at least that's how mine progressed. It could be ignition switch, causing the battery to drain down even. Just have to keep an eye on things. But a bad battery can cause crazy stuff as well as bad ignition switch. Clean up all your grounds to start.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
After sitting for at least 10 minutes the battery should read 12.6 volts or higher. Less than that and as said, it can create havoc.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Is there a way to determine or test if there's a short, or something causing unnecessary power draw? Could a failing starter also be a probable cause? I left sitting since Tuesday, got in this morning and it was a really slow crank, almost as if it wasn't going to kick over before it started up and ran fine.

Battery tested fine again after driving to Interstate, and the alternator is showing that it's good also.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@Mike534x This thread might be worth a read :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online