did I ruin this newish battery less than 6 months old

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
did I ruin this newish battery less than 6 months old , it was replaced under warranty that started 3 & 1/2 years ago so it's out of warranty now.
I don't drive this 97x much during none warm months so to stay ahead of the battery drain, now a normal drain I can leave the car for over two weeks and still crank her up..
I connected a 18V solar panel it's the size of a sun visor.https://shop.solarpanelsvenue.com/sh...ttery-charger/

I plug it into the cigar lighter when it's plugged in there is a green LED on the plug I assume this indicates that it's on and is charging the battery.
?1.when I insert plug into the vertical 12VDC does this awake a computer which actually drains more than charges?

I was thinking the LED was draining the battery and the solar charger really it's a maintainer
?2.should be hardwired directly to battery to avoid the LEDs drain or something not sleeping when car is turned off..
I purchased the solar maintainer hoping to stay ahead of the parasitic drain this issue is resolved it was the backup camera it wasn't connected to monitor but was sucking power.

connected the panel couple weeks ago yesterday the battery was drained down to 1.1 V DC and wouldn't start car. I believe the green LED actually drained the battery.

I've read that anything below 10V DC the battery is ruined is this true or false.

last night I removed the battery and connected my charger https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...12&WT.tsrc=AFF. weird that it didn't start charging but did start conditioning for about 1 hour then started charging.

my charger is a marine boat type charger after it determines the type of battery it chooses it's mode blue for condition which usually occurs after charge. green for charge however last night it when to blue then to orange never sean organe on previous charges.
anyway this morning the battery measured to 13.2V DC reinstalled it started the car and the amp needle was way over in the charge area will this stress out the alternator should I continue to charge/condition w/ charger before driving the car?

?3.can I trust this battery to not fail?

?4.it mite be time for a portable jump box. please suggest. Thanks for advice

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd just get it tested to be sure. It might be OK because I have had discharged batteries like that. Just recently did that when I left the aux power on all night to run updates on my Android HU over a slow internet and forgot it. There was nothing but I didn't put a voltmeter to it. Put a charger at 12A for an hour because we were leaving on a trip that morning. It was fine after that.

If it froze, that would be another story.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was thinking the LED was draining the battery and the solar charger really it's a maintainer
?2.should be hardwired directly to battery to avoid the LEDs drain or something not sleeping when car is turned off..

Also, the indicator LEDs use such a small fraction of an amp, that draining a car battery on its own would take such a long time, you can categorize it as impossible. That's even if there wasn't a charging current being applied to the battery, which is your case

Portable jump boxes are always a good idea, in case for emergencies. I have a small lithium ion one that fits in the glove box.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, for jump starters, just about any except the Noco's will work. Project Farm did a very good comparison.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The led uses a tiny amount of power - the truck battery could power it for years.
Those solar chargers typically have a diode in circuit, so the battery can't dump power into them. When the light is on, that means the panel is producing power.

Reactions: Mooseman

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
did I ruin this newish battery less than 6 months old , it was replaced under warranty that started 3 & 1/2 years ago so it's out of warranty now.?3.can I trust this battery to not fail?
I don't think you ruined your battery but, you have shortened it's life a little. Every time you flatline a battery there is a price to pay in long term life, deep cycle batteries are better at handling this.
I would trust it though since this hasn't happened excessively .

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online