Did every TB come with trailer wiring?

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
According to the service manual, RPO UY7 is for trailer wiring.

Doesn't every Trailblazer have this? I can't say that I've seen any mention of one that didn't.:undecided:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
gmac310 said:
Yes they did and they also came standard with the receiver hitch too.

:iagree:

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
SWEET:wootwoot:

This means that (edit: almost) every TB already has a single wire that that does brake AND turn for each side in the rear of the vehicle.

I think you might see where this is going.:cool:

Thanks dudes!:thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's possible that some rental fleet vehicles had that standard RPO code deleted to remove the temptation for amateurs and abusers to rent the vehicle, not have a brake controller put in, and then sleaze off on a towing mission. ISTR reading that on the OS more than once.

Except possibly for fleet vehicles, I think it was totally standard, even for export models.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
the roadie said:
It's possible that some rental fleet vehicles had that standard RPO code deleted to remove the temptation for amateurs and abusers to rent the vehicle, not have a brake controller put in, and then sleaze off on a towing mission. ISTR reading that on the OS more than once.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Also, I had to google ISTR.:redface:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:

This means that (edit: almost) every TB already has a single wire that that does brake AND turn for each side in the rear of the vehicle.

Red Wire? What Red wire? Where is the Red Wire? Are you talking about the Red Wire by the battery? What does it do? Does it go back to the trailer wiring if you have a trailer with a battery that needs charging?

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Me007gold said:
Red Wire? What Red wire? Where is the Red Wire? Are you talking about the Red Wire by the battery? What does it do? Does it go back to the trailer wiring if you have a trailer with a battery that needs charging?

Yup, that red wire. On the other end of that red wire, there should be a yellow wire (left) and a dark green wire (right) in the harness with that red wire. Those wires might bring us some awesomeness. Major awesomeness.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
DON'T CUT THE RED WIRE! :eek:

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I promise I won't hurt the red wire. I will leave it unplugged near the battery/fuse box so it just hangs there not connected to anything.

edit:

47e1dde5.jpg

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Oh that post made be lol, I like that the 'nation is 4th in those search results PLUS has a TrailVoy reference too. Win

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know the answer is already up there.. But just had to throw my :twocents: because its worth a :postcount:...

No, not all GMT's came with the wiring provisions. However, they did all come with a receiver. Being that the hitch is a integral part of the rear bumper..

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
MAY03LT said:

Now you have my attention.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mine too!

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
mine has this red wire up by the main fuse box is that what your talking about, :rotfl: but really you have my attention also

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I hooked up the big red wire and it enabled the hidden Mr. Fusion unit :biggrin:

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Also, I had to google ISTR.:redface:

Don't worry, I've been on internet forums for just shy of a decade now and I've never seen that acronym used before either.

A surprising answer, though good information to have. The wiring I get, it's common anyway to run the signal wires and leave it in such a manner that an adapter harness can be easily plugged in and ready to go. But the hitch would have added a not insignificant cost to each unit unless it was a part of the frame itself (it may be, I'm not sure). However this is one of those situations where I suppose it's best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The hitch is bolt on.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Short Bus said:
Now you have my attention.

Matt said:
Mine too!

Black_tb said:
but really you have my attention also

I think you guys know where this is going.:biggrin:

I have to test it on mine, if it works I'll make a thread in the appearance section. I don't think I can do it tonight. If you guys want to try it, yellow for the left and dark green for the right. Both should go to 12v with the brakes pushed, and flash their respective sides with turns on. They should also flash 12v with the brakes off.

edit: they do:smile:

MDBT said:
Don't worry, I've been on internet forums for just shy of a decade now and I've never seen that acronym used before either..

See, it's not just me!!! Thanks MDBT.:thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
IIRC Roadie is a trendsetter.:cool:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Am I the only one that hears of all of Roadie's posts in the voice of Dr. Sheldon Cooper in my head?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:ugh: Just when I think I can take a break from major modding, I have to come across this thread... :hissyfit:

Thanks!!

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:

Except possibly for fleet vehicles, I think it was totally standard, even for export models.

My vehicle was originally fleet. As far as I can tell, it has the same exact towing setup as my neighbor who has a "normal" trailblazer. If there is something specific anyone would like me to compare, I can easily do it.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
I recall reading on the old site that a few SS'es had a 7 pin plug, but the wiring wasn't hooked up in them....:wink:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The story about the SS is that (I assume for appearance's sake) they didn't want the huge 7-pin Bargman style connector hanging down on vehicles that would almost never tow. So they chopped off the end of the harness and tucked it up in some sort of hidden box. To use it, you needed an adapter that should have come with the vehicle, but a lot of used ones have had them go missing. Here's the part of the Owner's Manual that discusses it:

View attachment 20545

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Me007gold said:
I am still not sure whats going on here.

I know, but I'm not talking :lipsrsealed:

Hint: Read MAY03LT's "Modding TB tail light boards for non-SRCK LEDs" thread to figure it out.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Blckshdw said:
:ugh: Just when I think I can take a break from major modding, I have to come across this thread... :hissyfit:

Thanks!!

You're quite welcome. I was reading up on the DIY polarity switcher last night.

Me007gold said:
I am still not sure whats going on here.

I don't want to go out and say it until I see it work in mine.

ElAviator72 said:
I recall reading on the old site that a few SS'es had a 7 pin plug, but the wiring wasn't hooked up in them....:wink:

Noted, thank you sir.

the roadie said:
So they chopped off the end of the harness and tucked it up in some sort of hidden box.

This may come in handy, thanks!

Short Bus said:
I know, but I'm not talking :lipsrsealed:

Hint: Read MAY03LT's "Modding TB tail light boards for non-SRCK LEDs" thread to figure it out.

You're a good man.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.