DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
At least they got them done and shipped before the Chinese new year. Can't wait to get these bad boys installed.
Same here. I sent Kevin some money last week for a used set. Anything will be better than my piss yellow halogen high beams :no:

Reactions: DFWWIZ and dmanns67

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
They were in Cinncinnati as of noon today so tomorrow they should be here.

**Please note I am dealing with a family crisis as well for the past 5 days - mom in Iowa is 92 with dementia and refusing to cooperate with Dr's order to be be placed in rehab/nusrsing home after falling for the sixth time in past weeks. Lawyer told me to get my checkbook out and to talk to someone else then hung up on me when asking for his help. By law I can not force her unless I have a court's order and this all is 900 miles from me. sigh

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Best of luck!

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
They are now here in my garage. Now to sort out who gets what and rebox them to fit flat rate boxes and ship them. This will cost me another $250 minimum in shipping so it will most likely be a revised cost per set on further sales since coming and going 40 sets are $500 just in shipping here and then to ya'll.

And on top of this some already know, I have been dealing with a family crisis in Iowa with my 92 y.o. mom who is failing in health and has dementia. We struggle to get her into a facility because she refuses to leave her house where she is alone and unable to do much or understand how day to day life really is. Legal rights comes into play even tho the Dr has said she needs to be moved to a care faciality and nothing can be done with out a judge ruling. It has gotten into such a mess with neighbors, family and others and 900 miles away!
Take time to share concerns over parental care before it becomes a burden. We thought we had all our ducks in a row.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I hope everything works out with your family. Sucks that you're that far away while all this is going on.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Glad the pig tails are longer and look better. Do you know if the overall length has changed from the Cree LEDs to these Philips LEDs? I ask because I would like to still use my dust covers. Maybe a comparison pic of the old and new?

Reactions: djthumper

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Sorry to hear about your mother Kev. My Grandmother on Mom's side had Alzheimer's, and we care for an elderly neighbor with dementia who is in a situation much like yours, I know that it is a very tough process to go through, and such a heartbreaking disease. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you buddy.

I know I can't speak for others, and I don't even have lights on this round, but I'm sure nobody would be too put out if the shipping is delayed while you take care of family concerns.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I got 15 sets shipped out so far to 10 people. David will have his set tomorrow so you can pick his brain on what he sees for pros and cons. These are a little longer on the back side by about 3/4" with a much better heat sink and fan which also has a larger diameter. Heat is the big killer of LEDs with power and high lumens so they HAVE to have air access.
But those Philips Luxeon chips are the chit!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Nice. I will be looking for them. I forgot to ask if there is any "clocking" of the post needed with the new Philips like the old Crees?

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Yea, you will see it has a set screw and allen wrench to tighten it....all of them are sort of loose in shipping.

Reactions: dmanns67

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Sib said:
Same here. I sent Kevin some money last week for a used set. Anything will be better than my piss yellow halogen high beams :no:
You should get them on Monday. I finally got around to cashing the check and mailing them yesterday.

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
DFWWIZ said:
You should get them on Monday. I finally got around to cashing the check and mailing them yesterday.
Awesome. Glad it arrived. Thanks for getting them out with everything you have going on. Can't wait to see the light. :dance:

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Received mine yesterday, thanks Kevin.

I ordered H11, and it will be spring before I can install, so it will take a while to confirm, but it appears at first glance that these are setup to work as H9 or H11 with no modifications needed. The center lug that needs to be trimmed to convert a H9 to H11 or vice versa is already smaller than usual, so I'm guessing it would work either way, and the plug is missing the little slot that needs to be snipped to swap as well. I'll confirm for sure once I install them, but it would appear you actually do have access to H9 bulbs, cause these H11 will plug straight in.

Reactions: DFWWIZ and Mounce

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Nice. I will be looking for them. I forgot to ask if there is any "clocking" of the post needed with the new Philips like the old Crees?
Hey David did you receive the new ones yet?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
kjkim93 said:
Haven't seen anyone post anything yet. Lol! So impatient.
Me too. I was busy last weekend house hunting and will be working part of this weekend. I might try to play with them in the morning.
TexazReece said:
I want to see these installed and the lighting on road :undecided:
My photos won't be a good representation of the output since I have the 6 hi mod done. Plus my projectors have a hi beam mode. I will post some pics soon comparing the old/new LEDs.

Reactions: TexazReece and Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Me too. I was busy last weekend house hunting and will be working part of this weekend. I might try to play with them in the morning.
My photos won't be a good representation of the output since I have the 6 hi mod done. Plus my projectors have a hi beam mode. I will post some pics soon comparing the old/new LEDs.
When I put my high beams on it seems like they go out to the side a lot but not much down out front. They go out a little bit, but seems to light up right next to me more. I have them at 3/9 also. You ever notice that?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sib said:
When I put my high beams on it seems like they go out to the side a lot but not much down out front. They go out a little bit, but seems to light up right next to me more. I have them at 3/9 also. You ever notice that?
I do not notice mine going out to the side of the vehicle much. I do notice they shine very far down the road and also vertically. When I am at the end of my driveway, they are lighting up the top of my two story house.

Like I said above, I have never ran the Crees by themselves. I can only tell by the blueish color lighting on the road to know where the Crees are shining.

Your issue is that the Crees are not shining far enough down the road to make a difference?

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
I do not notice mine going out to the side of the vehicle much. I do notice they shine very far down the road and also vertically. When I am at the end of my driveway, they are lighting up the top of my two story house.

Like I said above, I have never ran the Crees by themselves. I can only tell by the blueish color lighting on the road to know where the Crees are shining.

Your issue is that the Crees are not shining far enough down the road to make a difference?
Yeah that's what it seems like. I can see where my low beams stop on the road out front. When I had the standard bulbs in they seemed to light up further down the road. I know that 3/9 is supposed to be the best but I might try them at a different angle to see if that makes a difference.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sib said:
Yeah that's what it seems like. I can see where my low beams stop on the road out front. When I had the standard bulbs in they seemed to light up further down the road. I know that 3/9 is supposed to be the best but I might try them at a different angle to see if that makes a difference.
Strange. Mine definitely shine pretty far down the road, but that is in combination with a bi-xenon projector.

Try the 12 and 6 position and see if that provides a better result.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Strange. Mine definitely shine pretty far down the road, but that is in combination with a bi-xenon projector.

Try the 12 and 6 position and see if that provides a better result.
I will try that tonight before I leave work. Did you have standard bulbs in your high beams before you got your projectors?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sib said:
I will try that tonight before I leave work. Did you have standard bulbs in your high beams before you got your projectors?
I did when I had 9006 HIDs in the low beams. Since the 9006 HIDs are so bright, I never needed to use the halogen hi beams nor could I tell if the hi beams where on when I used them. I had 9005 Sylvania Silverstars installed.

Every since retrofitting a bi-xenon projector in the low beams, I never ran a hi beam bulb until I bought Kevin's Cree LED headlights a couple months ago.

Reactions: Sib

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I have one pserson left to ship to - Ricardo Jimanez - I have no address other than his email. I have emailed him but gotten no response from him. Anyone here no Ricardo or where he lives?

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
I have been following this thread here and on the tbss forum. I am very interested in these but a little unclear on pricing for the new style, if its posted somewhere i missed it. Can someone tell me what the cost per set is and what shipping is?

On tbss pricing is listed clearly a few posts in but thats for the old style. Also, whats the warranty on these?
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make an informed purchase.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mypetropig said:
I have been following this thread here and on the tbss forum. I am very interested in these but a little unclear on pricing for the new style, if its posted somewhere i missed it. Can someone tell me what the cost per set is and what shipping is?

On tbss pricing is listed clearly a few posts in but thats for the old style. Also, whats the warranty on these?
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make an informed purchase.
Second round of orders, the price has increased to $115 a pair which includes shipping. Prices are subject to change ANYTIME.

The Philips LED kits come with a one year warranty.

Reactions: Mounce

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Just a reminder to those who did the upgrade/exchange to these new sets, to please ship your old sets back to me. I took a big leap of faith that by allowing the upgrade/exhange for only $35 with no core charge, that the old sets will be shipped to me at:
Kevin Hanson
6302 Twin Maple CT
Arlington, TX 76018

Reactions: Sib

patrick

Feb 17, 2013
I got mine installed. I had to take a Dremel to the housing, but they are in. Man these things are bright.
Kevin I'll get the old ones shipped out right away.

IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6044.JPG IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Those look like they stick out to the sides an awful lot, did you have to put notches in your header panel too, to get those to mount properly?

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Holy crap. That's a lot of modification to run them. I might just wait until I do my retrofit for my lows.

patrick

Feb 17, 2013
Those look like they stick out to the sides an awful lot, did you have to put notches in your header panel too, to get those to mount properly?
I had to take out a 1/4" on one side.
I'm more worried about water intrusion, than the modifications tho. The old ones I had the rubber caps on. I may get a local place to manufacture new longer caps. we will see. I love the light. Much better than the old style.

Holy crap. That's a lot of modification to run them. I might just wait until I do my retrofit for my lows.
it didn't really bother me as these were $50 aftermarket housing bought off of Amazon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.