dex cool coolant vs regular coolant!!!!!!!!!!

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Lets see what people think about this. What i wanna know is whats the difference in colder climates. lets say in Canada Eh!!!!!!

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
There should not be a noticeable difference in colder climates. They both use ethylene glycol as their base, but the Dexcool has different additives. Honda and Toyota use a coolant similar to Dexcool, but theirs is red and does not contain Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate.

You forgot to mention all makes all models propylene glycol. It is also a food preservative and biodegrades into lactic acid among other things.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Why would you look at anything but the GM recommended Dexcool without compelling evidence that Dexcool is bad? :confused:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Okay, I'm going to divert from the OP's question here a bit:
...and say that I absolutely hate dexcool!

In all three GM vehicles that I've owned since 1997, they've all had some sort of brown sludge-crap buildup in the radiators and it's very hard to completely remove!

I've never serviced the radiators prior to this problem. In my 1996 Camaro (which I no longer own), I bought it brand new and found the sludge one day when I was changing the oil. I looked at the fluid inside of my coolant bottle, and there was a bunch of brown, silicone-like sludge chunks foating around in the bottle. I removed the rad cap and found the same thing! The car had somewhere around 15k on the odometer, so I took it to two separate GM dealerships for their analysis. Both places said it was normal! :mad:

Since that time, I've bought and still own a 2006 Pontiac GTO (bought it new) and my current '03 Envoy. They too have the dexcool curse! Although, the coolant in both of them isn't nearly as bad as what it was in my Camaro. My GTO currently has 14,762.8 miles on it and the Envoy has 122,629 miles.

I wish I knew what was causing this. Some people that I've talked to say that they've never had an issue like this and they love dexcool. While others have had the same experience as I have and they share my opinion. I've also read about a lawsuit filed against GM, but nothing ever came my way mentioning a recall.

When my Camaro reached 36k and the factory warranty was expired, I went and changed to the green coolant and never looked back. I had to flush and fill the radiator many of times to try and eliminate the sludge. I even went so far as to removing the thermostat, running the engine, then disconnecting the rad hoses and draining it from there. After I flushed about 4-5 times, I went with a new water pump, rad hoses, thermostat, then removed and cleaned my coolant overflow bottle. Yes, there were still bits 'n pieces floating around after all of that!

Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to offer my opinion of dex-crap.

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I actually know what your saying the Ive never had a vehicle with Dex cool in it. My 03 envoy had green coolant in it and it ran over 305k before I got in an accident lol. Original Rad water pump and thermostat were in it. Might flush and fill with coolant IDK yet.

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
dazingla said:
I actually know what your saying the Ive never had a vehicle with Dex cool in it. My 03 envoy had green coolant in it and it ran over 305k before I got in an accident lol. Original Rad water pump and thermostat were in it. Might flush and fill with coolant IDK yet.

I "went green" on my 2002 like, 5 years ago or more. No issues, no leaks. Hot (NC) and cold (NY) climates - no problems.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Was thinking about a flush, at 85,175. I called a local shop that was recommended to me by a friend "Tall guy Small guy" in Marysville, WA. I asked to make sure he used Dexcool, and he stated he didn't use that crap, want on some more, mentioned the law suits years back, and then said he used "safety clean"

My TB has functioned just fine with dexcool for more than 85,000, giving me no reason to change what goes in it. So I'll will look for another shop in my area.

mike_k

Dec 5, 2011
jbones said:
Was thinking about a flush, at 85,175. I called a local shop that was recommended to me by a friend "Tall guy Small guy" in Marysville, WA. I asked to make sure he used Dexcool, and he stated he didn't use that crap, want on some more, mentioned the law suits years back, and then said he used "safety clean"

My TB has functioned just fine with dexcool for more than 85,000, giving me no reason to change what goes in it. So I'll will look for another shop in my area.

I remember the lawsuits from when I had my Grand Am. :rotfl: Getting the issue fixed was as simple as changing to green anti freeze........after replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
What I read into the dex problem is older dex and gasket material not compatible. Not seeing or reading about it the in the newer dex, manufactured by Havoline.

Fred M.

Dec 13, 2013
During the 1996 time-frame GM installed seal tabs in the factory fill with DexCool. That is why you saw sludge in your cooling systems then. Contrary to common belief, intake gaskets fail regardless of DexCool or Green antifreeze. The Lawsuits had to due with the coolant turning into gel or jello and causing over-heating. The cause was traced to conductivity of the fluid and some temperature sensors leaking voltage into that fluid. My personal experience with DexCool has been excellent. I bought a used '98 Suburban in '01 (72K miles) I'm at 214K and have never flushed the system, only added new during intake gasket replacement. Soon after I bought that Suburban, I flushed my other vehicles and refilled with Dexcool so I'd only have to stock one type of antifreeze. The "other" vehicles? 1979 Firebird Formula 78k and a 1987 Bonneville traded w/ 276K. I still have the 'Bird with the same fill of dexcool. I also now have an '03 Bravada 165K on factory fill. I don't change fluid that appears clean. I'll get negative replies, but if it's not broke don't mess with it.
Relax Roadie, I do change the AutoTrak fluid in the Bravada. I also changed the AutoTrak fluid in the Suburban at 210K, and eliminated driveshaft thump! Neither the Owners manual or Shop Manual ever mentions changing T'case fluid in GM trucks, go figure.
I know I go off topic, but the fact is... that Dexcool is not the root of all the problems people think they have with it.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Dexcool is fine coolant, but so is universal/global coolant. Universal is also cheaper. I switched to universal a while back and have had no problems. I switched around 100k, and now have around 165k.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online