Detroit Axle hubs --any good ?

gladesteen

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Hi gang,

I need to change out my hubs again i guess.........getting the ABS shake at slow speed stopping.
I know its just the sensor, but i'm going to just swap the hubs since that is just as easy.

The last hubs i used were Timken's and they have lasted 3 or 4 years. Was looking on Amazon and they have TWO Detroit Axle hubs for $64.25 shipped. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks,
Mark

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I personally don't have experience with them, but I have heard good things about their differentials. At $64 for both hubs, it probably wouldn't hurt to get them and experiment to see how they hold up. I'm surprised the Timken's failed, haven't seen them fail too often on these trucks. When my fronts were bad when I purchased my Envoy, I bought a Timken and Moog to experiment and see which will hold up. So far, both are at a year 1/2 and still doing well.

Reactions: Redbeard

gladesteen

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks Mike..........i have heard good things about them in the past myself. I think a few ppl have commented on their half shafts / CV axles being good also.

Guess i will give them a shot and see how it goes. The Timkens are $125 per hub, so these Detroit hubs at $64 for TWO of them seem worth it.

I was pretty ticked off the Timkens didnt last longer myself. The ABS shudder just started about a week ago. I think i put them on in 2015.

Here is the link if anyone else is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHGRXA0/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I had the Detroit Axle hubs on my 2003 Envoy. My only complaint is the lug nut studs are shorter than the OEM studs by about a quarter inch. I had no problems and believe they are safe. But if I had to do it again, I'd take the studs from the old bearings and put them in the new bearings.:twocents:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
They are cheap Chinese-made junk. There is a huge difference between their axles and driveshafts that they rebuild in the U.S., and their hubs that are subcontracted to a Chinese company and widely sold on eBay.

Quite frankly, instead of two cheap hubs, I would spend the money on one Timken and find out which side is bad first.

gladesteen

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Well...………...

After reading the reviews on Amazon, im not going to try them. In fact I got an even BETTER deal !

I looked up when I purchased the Timkens and it was March 2016. Then I called Timken and was told there was a 3 yr warranty. So I called Amazon and spoke to CS. They verified it, and are shipping me two new Timkens for FREE !! Even got free upgraded 1 day shipping !

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like my mom always said, you can't afford cheap!

Reactions: gladesteen

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online