Dept. of motor vehicles vent thread....

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Might have a different title in your area but, I'm going there tomorrow to renew my CDL that I've never needed never used and want it downgraded to eliminate the medical requirement. Will probably be a PITA so I'm starting this thread in advance. I'm sure others have experiences to share about dealing with those "pasty faced officious jerks."

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have no issues with the Service Ontario people most of the time. I think it's just that they get a lot of crap from people when they have to enforce some of the stupid gov't rules, especially taxes on used vehicles can be brutal as they go by the book value rather than actual sale price (which I call gov't extortion). Not their fault but a lot of people don't understand that and take it out on them.

One rule that makes me shake my head is for pickup trucks. Here, all of them are classified as commercial vehicles unless specified as for personal use. And unless you pay more for the license and get annual safety checks, they can't tow more than 3000lbs. Me, with my SUV, can tow as much as I want up to the vehicle's tow rating. Go figure.

Reactions: northcreek

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My experiences with BMV around here has actually been a lot better over the last few years. I think they got tired of the bad rap and fired all the grouches :laugh:

I am a bit annoyed that my Silverado costs me more just because it is a truck. So what? It isn't a HD, or a commercial use vehicle, why does it matter? Whatever. Ohio registration prices aren't too bad so I can't complain too much. I can register the wife's car, my car, and my truck for less than one car in many other states.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
THE DMV is not an issue for me since I can do online. Our local branch sucks, but it is only open a couple days a week and there are 3 other options within 20 minute drive so I got no complaints these days

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I had to renew my license a few years ago, and had to go in for a new picture and speak to someone, I was dreading the trip. Had been able to do everything online up until then, and gotten spoiled. I did get lucky, in reviewing their website, you had the option to set appointments, which I jumped on. I was able to get in, waited for maybe a couple minutes, before sitting with someone. Was out the door in maybe 15-20 minutes, which I was happy about.

I haven't had the joy of joining the multiple vehicle owner's club yet, so I don't pay much attention to the registration fees, just pay em and keep it moving.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
"pasty faced officious jerks."

:thumbsup: Excellent description :thumbsup:

My DMV is divided into - 1. Time Consuming, paperwork heavy tasks like getting an ID, Divers License, etc and 2. paying the ransom License Plate Fees - $101 every year. Thankfully they are efficient at collecting money and it usually only takes me 15 minutes every year.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Well my DMV adventure wasn't all that bad, maybe you guys are right and they have cleaned up their act. Got my CDL downgraded to "Enhanced,motorcycle,veteran"of course they charged me an extra $30.00 to downgrade but, at least I can renew online now.:hail:
BTW I drove to a rural DMV rather than one close to the City. The clerk was pleasant and only two people ahead of me but, why do DMV photos always make me look like a felon?

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online