Denver area axle swap?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been playing with charts the last couple days, and determined that for my use, I really need 4.10 gears. The problem is my truck came with 3.42 gears, and since I have a 4x4 I need to do both front and rear axles, which will probably kill my budget. So I thought I'd just put out some feelers... Is there anyone near the Denver area who currently has 4.10 gears and would like to swap for some 3.42 gears?

I know very little about the process, but have no problems getting my hands dirty. I've heard its easiest just to swap the whole rear axle, but I'm not sure if the same can be done with the front (hoping to eliminate the need for any professional mechanics to set the gear spacing).

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
They seem to only have the rear axle available. Prices are expensive, but then again if I get the whole axle I can always make some of my money back from selling my old parts.

I've done rear axle swaps before, on an old car. I'm assuming our trucks won't be that different. But does anyone have info on how to make this swap for the front axle? Or is there just no way around requiring a mechanic to the front? I'm not even sure what needs to be done when changing the gears... Is it setting the backlash, or something similar? Why is this such a black-magic process that only a mechanic can perform the operation?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Althou I am in Denver... I too have 3.42..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online