Denali gave me a scare today...

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
So I'm waiting in the drive-thru today and I glance at my dash and see my first code(cel) on this 115K mi vehicle along with it is the gauge icon and zero oil pressure on the actual gauge. Since I'm locked in line I have to stop/restart several times....I'm worried but, hey! I've got to get my coffee.
I checked the level and it's ok , and it sounds good so I suspect a bad sending unit so I picked one up at AZ and changed it out, albeit after another 10 miles of driving (all the while trying to decide what my next ride should be).
So I start it up and no change and no oil pressure....crap! Then I went online and watched a vid and the guy said to clear the code after a sender change, so I did and everything was back to normal.
Does this seem right? It worked but, since the 5.3 has real oil pressure indication I would think that the gauge should have worked even with a code.....what say you? Mike.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
#1 on the Runway for this one is ... A Bad REAL Oil Pressure Sensor... AND ...an OPS Filter Basket Change. As you already know... this Fix is a Real PITA. There are quite a few Youtube How To-s on this one... and you might also investigate if there is also an in-dwelling Metal Screen (Basket) in your motor that still needs to be pulled after the sensor is removed. A Bright Flashlight and a Mirror will help to figure out if it is present. If it is, then it might be down deep in there and stuck tightly by its "O" Ring... it needs to be pulled and all the Black Mung and Lacquer stuck inside of the Basket Screen(s) needs to be cleaned out real good with a solvent, otherwise your New OPS might still not be getting enough Oil Pressure to Register properly inside of the unit.

If it is stuck inside there... you'll need either a Dental Pick or a HF "Pick Set" to get it out. Once it is well cleaned (or instead... obtain a New Filter Basket) then put a little Motor Oil on the "O" Ring and stick it right back down inside B4 installing the New OPS. Other Members with experience performing this R&R can advise about the presence or lack of any Screen... and might also suggest that using ONLY an OEM Basket and an OEM Sensor is wisest so that in six months from now... the same problem does not comes back to "Haunt Your Dash Lights":

The OEM OPS can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1846A-Original-Equipment-Pressure/dp/B0016HPUS8/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=GMC|48&Model=Envoy XL|23450&Year=2006|2006&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

The OEM OPS Filter Basket can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F679P30/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:
Reactions: 07TrailyLS

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I did pull the basket/screen out and it was clean as a whistle.It's not as hard as they make it seem (at least on the 360). The whole thing took about 30 minutes and it would have been less if the weather-pac o-ring hadn't fallen out which turned the job into a fishing trip.
I don't advise using a pick for removing the screen as you can damage the screen easily and may want to reuse it, I used a large easy-out that just fits the screen opening....a little twist with your fingers and it's out and doesn't drop off (into the abyss) like it might from a pick... Mike.
screw-extractor.jpg
To answer my own question: from what I'm reading, it is necessary to clear the codes or do some drive cycles to reboot the system after an oil pressure sensor replacement.
Also some have suggested leaving the basket/screen out if you have deactivated your AFM/DOD. The thinking is that it's only needed when the lifters are collapsing in 4cyl. mode. I have deactivated mine so I may do that at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I removed mine after I removed all my DoD hardware including the VLOM. Good tip using the easy out. If the hardware is still there, I'd leave the filter in place just in case it buggers up a lifter or something for some reason.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online