Decision on new truck

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
These are all more expensive than you'd like to pay so please disregard. My favourite of the bunch is the 6.2L Yukon XL. Seems way low for some reason....maybe it's a Quebec thing. BTW...I really like Denali's. :yes:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Not to pee in the Avalanche pool but doubtless your biggest hurdle will be finding one that isn't heavily scarred by rust. I don't think I've heard or read much negative about them mechanically, but the bloody things seem like they'd rust in the dessert. Probably not that bad but definitely salt sensitive. However, given that it won't see winter roads once you get it, if you can find a relatively clean one I agree an Avalanche is a great fit.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think I've heard or read much negative about them mechanically, but the bloody things seem like they'd rust in the dessert.

You mean like all full size trucks? There are some good examples that I found however those are way overpriced. I don't think the 'Lanches are any worse than their SUV or PU siblings. For those spots other than the rockers, paint peeling is the beginning and if not taken care of will eat away at the metal. Welcome to the rust belt. I've seen enough Hoes and Burbs to know where to look.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I doubt very much we'd ever go that route. We see those things on the road and they're just way too big. And lots of places can't accommodate trailers longer than 30 feet. A nice couple's trailer is enough for us.

You know, they make 'couples 5ers', too.... LMAO. Talk about excess...
I'm with you on the size issue. I like the towing aspect, vs. a bumper pull, but I'll prolly never have a 5er. Especially traveling as a single.

Incidentally, I looked for 'K5L' on my SPI label... not there. But I do have those items. I suppose that's why it's "N/A" on the 3/4 ton -- it's already incorporated, and not as a standalone RPO.

(on edit) : Interested in a 3/4 Lanche? I found one near me, for under $5000 US (WI dealer). But it has the 8.1, not the 6.0L I don't think it has the Allison (doubt that any did)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just spotted this one and will likely not last long unless I move fast:

A Duramax with just 200k km and it looks mint. He doesn't give the year but It's the old style but it can tow a house. It's a good 2 hour drive from me. I'm messaging him for more info like year and if any rust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric04 and Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just spotted this one and will likely not last long unless I move fast:

A Duramax with just 200k km and it looks mint. He doesn't give the year but It's the old style but it can tow a house. It's a good 2 hour drive from me. I'm messaging him for more info like year and if any rust.

If it's an LLY, ask if the injectors have been replaced; it's the one failure item on that engine.

Other than that, it *looks* beautiful. Bonne chance!

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Any thoughts? (And yes @TollKeeper , we know you hate this generation :biggrin: )
Actually, I just sold a 06 Avalanche LTZ last year (prior gen). White, with cream leather interior. Great truck. Mine had a trailer brake controller, and air bag load helper springs. It drove great. It always pissed me off thou.... That truck weighs 2000 lbs more than my Envoy, and got better fuel mileage than my Envoy. Might have been the DOD/AFM. Still pissed me off thou!

There are some things to be cautious about with the Avalanche thou. The mid gate are known, and prone, to allow water to pass the seals. In front of that seal, under the carpet are computers for the truck.

Still great trucks thou. It is literally a modified Suburban body. Everything from the rear doors forward is just a Suburban. The frame and drivetrain are the same.

Edit: I sold it because I wanted to haul an ATV or Riding mower back there. And they just arent big enough for that.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've also considered an Avalanche instead of a crew cab pickup as a way to get best of both worlds more back seat space for car seats (rear facing toddler seats are monsters...) but still be able to put 4x8 sheets in the bed when dropping the mid gate, etc.

Whether that happens or not.... dunno.

Reactions: Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The (2nd gen) Avalanche is also a bit shorter than the CCSB (221 vs. 230 in.), which can be helpful (although it looks even shorter than 9" difference (to me), thanks to the bed length.)

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went with my buddy to look at the Dmax. Overall the body was good except for one small hole on the cab corner that was painted over and the other looked like the rust was scraped off and painted over. Rockers were solid. Engine ran nice but it was already warm so wasn't a cold start. Sounded good and drove great. Noticed two new front calipers. BUT... HVAC blower didn't work at all, A/C compressor never kicked on and light just flashed, all tires were junk (one even had a nail in it), the hole in the cab corner, and the big one, the odometer was dead, nothing showing at all. Although this is a common problem on these trucks, not what you want to see when buying. He said he was told by the dealer he bought it from that it has 200k km. I told him I wasn't calling him or his dealer a liar but without that odometer, there is no way of really knowing. Afterwards I thought I should have brought my Tech 2 and could have read it :duh:. Offered $6000 and he countered that he couldn't go lower than his original purchase cost of $7300. I declined.

The hunt continues...

• Sad

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Next candidate:

Not too keen about the fender flares but could live with them if they're not hiding anything.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Whenever I see flares that are basically low profile - particularly with stock wheels - I always assume they're hiding rust damage. At least that's what they seem to be used for around here 90% of the time.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I keep calling, texting and messaging to get pics of the RPO codes sticker in the glove box different trucks and I get nothing. Well, one just did send me pics and the one with the flares has the K5L HD cooling so it's a contender.

Anyway, I'm holding out for this one:

It's local and the VIN says it has the 6.0L and 4.10 gears, so it's good to 7700# towing (5.3 with same gears has 8000# ???) . Talked to them and basically they just got it on auction, which is why they don't have pics up yet, and will be getting it by week's end. It does have a little typical surface rust on the bottom of the doors and around the wheel wells but he will be fixing everything before selling. Like my buddy said, it's custom built for me. He said I am the first to call about and will have first dibs on it.

Stay tuned...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I only have one problem with the fender flares truck... Its parked next to that trailer, with a weight dist hitch on the truck. So it may have had a working life, which is fine if its been maintained, but thats always debateable.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I keep calling, texting and messaging to get pics of the RPO codes sticker in the glove box different trucks and I get nothing. Well, one just did send me pics and the one with the flares has the K5L HD cooling so it's a contender.

Anyway, I'm holding out for this one:

It's local and the VIN says it has the 6.0L and 4.10 gears, so it's good to 7700# towing (5.3 with same gears has 8000# ???) . Talked to them and basically they just got it on auction, which is why they don't have pics up yet, and will be getting it by week's end. It does have a little typical surface rust on the bottom of the doors and around the wheel wells but he will be fixing everything before selling. Like my buddy said, it's custom built for me. He said I am the first to call about and will have first dibs on it.

Stay tuned...

Nice. Sounds like you'll be all set, if things check out.
The engine is an L76 (you prolly know that, with the codes in front of you). Looks like the trans is going to be a 4L80 (MT1) - listed as '4-speed, but the 6.0L gets a heavier duty model'.

Fingers crossed that this is the one! :wink:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Still waiting on this one.

Talked to him a couple of days ago and said it was in the shop getting the rust spots fixed.

However, found this one:

It's $3000 cheaper, has less mileage. Talked to the dealer and sent pics including RPO codes. It also has the 6L and 4.10 (!), black with beige (yuck) interior. Just a couple rust spots in the corners of wheel wells and he says that the rockers are solid. However, they're selling it as-is because they don't have the time to go over it but it is driveable. Hmmmm. And it has a leak but says they'll fix it. Later find out it it's a FUEL LEAK, which likely means the typical fuel line rusted out or the top of the fuel pump (I've had both on the Saab). Now waiting for a call back after the salesman talks to his manager.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Check out the last service records on the carfax, and compare to the listed mileage.

Viewing them, it looks like this dealer may have had the truck there for awhile -? If so, they'll likely be willing to deal further.

No comment on the "we don't have time to go over it". Granted, they're a F**d dealer, so... it might be just as well that they left it alone, since they can barely fix their own :dielaugh:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check out the last service records on the carfax, and compare to the listed mileage.

Viewing them, it looks like this dealer may have had the truck there for awhile -? If so, they'll likely be willing to deal further.

Good catch! Something for me to grind them on if they do fix the fuel leak. Still waiting...

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As you may have seen in another thread, the Saab is dead therefore a replacement has become more pressing. I rented a car from North Bay and drove to Mississauga, about a 3.5 hour drive. Right away on starting it, heard the familiar exhaust manifold leak on cold start. Body was fine except for the known rust spots. Tires were also worn almost to wear bars and it had some weird creak or clunk in the back the little I drove around their yard. Brakes were rusty.

Asked to take it on a test drive and he wouldn't put a dealer plate on it to allow it. WTF? Something about it being as is or some other BS. They replaced the fuel tank however wouldn't be bothered to put in a battery? It needed a boost to start. Something tells me they don't want the liability which tells me something is deadly wrong with this truck.

I said they'll have to knock another $1000 and they refused to budge. Said they could take it to the US at auction for more money. I got my deposit back and drove away for another 5 hours home in the rental.

Now I just have the one local left. It's $3000 more and slightly more mileage but at least it's certified.

But man that was a lot of driving today!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well boys, I'll be joining the full size ranks. Put a deposit on the 08 Lanche. Looked good, solid body, clean, ran quiet and strong. Some minor issues that will be addressed: clunking in rear (likely an end link), service suspension system message, driver heated seat doesn't work (looks like a button issue), dash odometer button doesn't work, brakes all around need to be replaced (rusty). He'll go over the whole truck and will fix everything. Unless he has to order something from the dealer, I should have it by Friday. It will be safetied and will have a 3 month/3k km warranty.

He wouldn't budge at all on the price but given it will be a drive it and forget it, I accept that. It is black with grey leather interior with Nav radio, Bluetooth and backup camera. And it has the 6.0L and 4.10 gears for towing. For $13k + tax, I think it's a fair deal.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Let me be the first to welcome you to:
- Team Full Size
- The 6.0L Club
- Club Avalanche (looks like you'll be the founding member of this one...lol)

Awesome that you got the 4.10s, since this is gonna be towing :dance:
I think you may be getting a 4L85e, according to what I've seen (MN8 vs MT1) - the big one here is 5-pinion planetaries (both reaction and output) :wooot:

Yeah, it'll be an extra $3K, but you'd have spent more than that getting the other truck up to snuff (especially since you guys do safety inspections)

Sorry to hear about the Saab :sadcry: I listened to that rod knock vid :yikes:
So the load of the trailer caused the bearing to spin ?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When looking for "The Mystery Clunk" in the Rear End... if nothing obvious is present, consider checking for possible damage to the Spider Gear Roll Pin and its TTY Fastener. After they get stretched out at the Drilled End of the Roll Pin, their freedom to move after can become significant enough to allow the Roll Pin to "clank about" under Heavy Towing and even wind up sheering off the Bent TTY Fastener, resulting in the Roll Pin sliding loose and the destruction of the Spider Gears... Tuit Suite. Forewarned is Forearmed:

SPIDERGEARSET1.jpgCHROMEPUMPKINCOVER1.jpgCHROMEPUMPKINCOVER2.jpg

"Welcome to being able to 'Drive Though The Tall Corn ...with The Big Dogs'... in Your New, Black Full-Size GM-GMC Pick Up Truck!"

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sorry to hear about the Saab :sadcry: I listened to that rod knock vid :yikes:
So the load of the trailer caused the bearing to spin ?

I doubt it. It always had this "sewing machine" type noise that I first thought was valvetrain noise where I wound up doing a full DOD delete. Then just passed it off as piston slap since it only did it at certain RPMs. Been like this for years. I guess the extra load and the hills to North Bay killed it. So if the rod bearing was at fault for all this time, it held up quite a bit.

When looking for "The Mystery Clunk" in the Rear End... if nothing obvious is present, consider checking for possible damage to the Spider Gear Roll Pin and its TTY Fastener. After they get stretched out at the Drilled End of the Roll Pin, their freedom to move after can become significant enough to allow the Roll Pin to "clank about" under Heavy Towing and even wind up sheering off the Bent TTY Fastener, resulting in the Roll Pin sliding loose and the destruction of the Spider Gears... Tuit Suite. Forewarned is Forearmed:

View attachment 97798View attachment 97799View attachment 97800

"Welcome to being able to 'Drive Though The Tall Corn ...with The Big Dogs'... in Your New, Black Full-Size GM-GMC Pick Up Truck!"

Doubt that very much as it did it on bumps so more than likely an end link or something else in the suspension. I will however doing a full service of fluids.

I have a few new parts on the Saab that I will be able to keep for the Avalanche like the battery, alternator, water pump. And I will be taking the front and rear diffs for their 3.73 gears to slap into the TB as well as being an 8.6 rear. Some other parts do have some resale value like the headlights, taillights and other Saab only parts. The in-dash cup holder is actually functional however it was repaired.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just picked up the Av this afternoon. No pics as it was dark when we got home. So what needed to be fixed was fixed except the cluster button on the dash which he wasn't able to figure out. Told him I'd look after it. He wound up replacing the brake cables and the rear brakes, replaced the rear shocks and fixed the rear clunk. Front brakes are the same however, they seem to be fine after cleaning the rust off. Noticed afterwards that the heated seat still doesn't work. I'll take care of that too

Already modded it by resetting the transmission pressures with the Tech 2 and then did a quick tune with HP Tuners. Already feels much better, shifts are a little less mushy, the TCC has no PWM and power has increased a bit when giving her the throttle. This is just a first quick tune and will likely do some more as time permits.

Oh, and this is originally a US vehicle so MPH are bigger in the speedo, oil pressure is in PSI and temps are in F. Another cool thing is that I can turn off the headlights overriding the DRL :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online