Decision on new truck

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looking at adding to the fleet.

Went to look at it. It's not perfect but it's not bad. Right at startup, could hear the right manifold leaking that quieted down after warmup. Did see the a missing bolt. Can't tell if it's just that and gasket or the manifold itself is cracked. No spare and spare winch cable gone. Tail pipe cut off just after the diff hump, tranny fluid is brownish, left rear half door won't open, driver seat foam is garbage, cracked grill, has rear drums (I hate drums), sucky colour (not silver, kinda like a pale bronze), TPMS in need of service, bottom half of body all around looks like it's been repainted (but not under rockers, bottom shiny, top not so much).

Positives are that the body is in good shape with just typical rust above the windshield, rockers are solid, has a tonneau cover (although it is in need of some repair), drives fine and steering is solid with no noises during test drive, has a good set of BFG All Terrain TA's that are winter rated so no need to buy a separate set of winters, has a nice Kenwood full screen HU but doesn't seem to have GPS, although the fluid was brown the 6L80E shifts fine. It does have the G80 and 3.73 which would be good for towing.

There is the issue of this dealer being able to get a safety for it as is despite the exhaust issues. Spare tire missing is apparently not a safety item.

Dealed him down to $8800 all in, safety and 1 year/10k powertrain warranty included. Have to go back later with the Mrs for another set of eyes and approval.

What do you guys think?

• Love
Reactions: mrrsm

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Most of the issues you mentioned aren't deal breakers(though I hates me some drums too) but the brown fluid wouldn't thrill me. I'd rather it be black than burnt. That said, they haven't tried to hide the warts so that's always easier to take than having to wonder if the place is shifty when you spot attempts at camouflage. The kilometers are at a palatable level so when you factor in the possible repair costs and are still comfortable then it's worth a go. I mean, I'd say they are pricing it fairly(warts and all).

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I hate the 07.5 up to 13.5 years. Worst interior ever, and I hate the body style. Moving past that...

Your up in Rust Country, so you already know what to look for, and that the spare is missing is a possible sign of that. Figure retail market 300 for new tire, and rim. Another 150 for the spare tire holder thing. Another 300 minimum for a good tranny service. Dont know how hard that manifold is to fix, but figure retail price there whatever it is. Next post cat exhaust, another 3-800? bucks. Seat cushion is around 150 plus install. Drums is what is has, that unfortunately doesnt effect the buying cost. Paint correction at around 500. TPMS sensors at 150 for all 4 plus reprogram. So call it 12000+ (Retail) exhaust out the door plus tag and tax.

Is the truck worth that?

You said you didnt like the color, and some of the words you used to me sounded like you were trying to talk yourself into it?

Personally, I wouldnt do it.. But I am biased as I hate those years.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've driven enough of those as Tahoes that I can live with the interior.

However, I spotted this one:

Helluva price if the body is just as good as that other one no matter what it may need due to being parked. Brakes? Usual ball joints and tie rods? Like that it's a crew cab. Colour looks to be the same sucky bronze'ish but I can look past that. I'm looking more for usefulness than aesthetics.

That first one also looked like it was modded. Saw some amp wiring and the fact it has that rack with light bar tells me "off roading". I'm just not feeling it.

Waiting for return message from this last one.

Reactions: Reprise and Eric04

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
For 3500? I think I could look past all the things I hate about that generation!

Edit: And its a 4 door! easier to repair over those extended cab versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Holy #$*&! 3500? Asking... That range is usually reserved for rust tub beaters so I'm with you both as there is plenty of meat on the bone for a few repairs.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And that's Canabucks too. If he can get back to me, I'm all over it.

Reactions: mrrsm and Eric04

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Hell, if it wasnt so far away, I would even consider it. Rip the bed off, put a flat bed on it, and call it a day.

I want to sell my ATV/Sled trailers and haul them on a sled deck, and at that price, and rusty bed, its about perfect for my needs.... Except that generation... LOL

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
OOOHHHhhhhhh HELL YEeeeeeeessss!

MOOSEMANSTRUCK.jpg

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Coming in late here, but I would go with the second one. Not just for the price; it looks to be in good shape with less butchering done to it, etc. And a Line-X, so you'll never have to worry about the bed rusting out. Even slightly lower mileage.
Hopefully, the drivetrain is in good shape (but I wouldn't hesitate to do an engine swap, if required; 5.3L are available all over here in the States.) I envy the 6L80 that'll be in it.

I see that it's now listed as sold. To the Moose? :yes:

@TollKeeper - you mentioned the CCs were easier to repair than the ext. cab. What makes them easier, per se. Just the 1/2 door (which break, often) ? Or is it b/c it's a longer WB ? Just curious, as I've had / have 2 CC, and always liked the ext cab, TBH. (would fit better in my garage, for one, unless it had the 8ft bed)

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
@Mooseman I like the truck, decent price if the rust is minimal, check on top of the frame rails.

Just a fyi, that's an extended cab, crew cab has 4 big doors.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That second one at $3500 is gone :sadcry:. I must have just missed it as it was listed for only 3 days.

And I've decided to pass on that first one. If he's able to get a hot safety check with what's seen/known, what else is he hiding? I might have bit at $8000 all in with the risks involved. The brown tranny fluid also doesn't inspire me neither. Maybe I'll let him sweat a few days and go back with another offer.

I'll just keep looking. I'm in no rush as it's more for towing our RV, which looks like we're done for this year.

check on top of the frame rails.

Thanks for the tip for my future prospects. I have also seen the rear tubular crossmember rusted out on my son's Silvy. It's part of the frame itself but doesn't seem to affect anything. Maybe it's just a stiffener. It's open on both ends so probably crud got into it and rusted from inside out.

Thanks all for the tips and advice. I'll keep looking and if I find anything, I'll let you know. Might not be able to post before buying if I have to act fast.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Honestly with my experience with tranny fluid in the 4L60E I wouldn't worry too much. Just do a complete fluid exchange after getting it (if you do). So far I have not gotten a used vehicle with a 4L60E with fluid changes done on time, all were dark or brownish, and all have been fine. I have done the Transgo/sonnax combo in each one, fresh fluid, and lots of miles no issues.

I actually like the interior of my 07. Only thing that minorly bugs me is the off center/off angle steering column.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I agree. My 02 had skanky brown fluid when I got it and it lasted 6 years until the tranny blew (sounded like the sun shell stripped). But seeing it's a 6L80E, I don't know what they are like when neglected or abused. It had mushy shifts but then I'm used to tuned/kitted trannys.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found this 04 2500 Crew Cab however, until I zoomed in and really read the description, I think I'll pass:

needs rocker panel / body work.

I actually hate the interior on this one. My son has it and don't like it at all. Too bad because it also had the brake controller and 4.10's.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@TollKeeper - you mentioned the CCs were easier to repair than the ext. cab. What makes them easier, per se. Just the 1/2 door (which break, often) ? Or is it b/c it's a longer WB ? Just curious, as I've had / have 2 CC, and always liked the ext cab, TBH. (would fit better in my garage, for one, unless it had the 8ft bed)
Parts are a bit harder to come by, and when they wont open, getting the panel off can be quite the chore, to get in there to pull the rods manually to open them.

@Mooseman - I would pass too. Holy cow of rustoleum. Thats some serious rust. And if it look like that on top, imagine what the frame looks like. Even the front bumper shows signs of rust. I can only imagine the condition of the frame mounted wiring being all pussey and grodey.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Man, you really have to be on top of things to get the deals. Just saw this one. 5 hours away but I would have done the trip depending on why they were selling it uncertified. Called and said it sold last night :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Being in the rust belt like yourself if it were me I would be targeting the lower 48 for a rust free example. I'll do the mechanical stuff but, rust is the worst.
After seeing the spare tire frame on your Saab.......ya know....:deadhorse:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ya except, well, border has been closed and not likely to reopen this year the way stuff's been going. And bringing a vehicle across the border is a PITA unless it's a smoking hot deal.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No details on that first one. Sent an inquiry. It is pretty far, about a 5 hour drive, close to my son in North Bay but he's working out of town right now or I would have asked him to have a look.

The second one is a WT, no rear seats, a V6 so no bueno for towing.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This one (in Quebec) looks like a bit like an Official "Fire Truck" but is also Clean and Tidy for the Money ($9,900.00) shows a Good , Clean Interior Condition and Images confirming no apparent Body Cancer on Body Panels and Doors. Also has a Tonneau Cover matched to the Body Paint.... Could become a "Bad-Ass Sleeper":

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Before going any further, I have to give some parameters:
Minimum 5.3L V8, Extended or Crew cab (need someplace for the dog while towing the RV), don't mind some easy repairs but no basket cases or rusted out hulks. Very leery of fixer uppers. Under 300k km as much as possible. Within 4-5 hour drive from Ottawa, ON.

So except for the first one, none of them meet these parameters. And dealers that sell as-is or uncertified usually means a major issue they can't repair. One I called was due to a rotted frame.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I thought the 6L80E started in 2010. Admittedly I didn't read the listings. I just assumed.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Ya except, well, border has been closed and not likely to reopen this year the way stuff's been going. And bringing a vehicle across the border is a PITA unless it's a smoking hot deal.
:dunce: Getting so used to living during a pandemic I completely forgot about it and the border restrictions.....come to think of it, I can't actually travel to most states without risking a 14 day nap.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Sparky

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found this one, about 2 hour drive from here:

PM'd him and it has 223k km, no issues except some surface rust/paint peeling around rear fenders and it needs tires. Gonna try to see it tonight or tomorrow (tomorrow I'm pretty loaded though). Don't want to miss out on this one. It looks good to me. Sent me some interior pics.

118586570_692360171623841_8409236656055254300_n.jpg118749157_609804319669015_7007882573678052333_n.jpg118516285_765559310908593_8175093176488528133_n.jpg

Doesn't look like it has any lights.

[PS: Changed the title]

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Boy thats one dirty truck! Kinda plain for my liking thou.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I hope that one ends up being as solid as it looks for you. I don't know what you're finding there, but used vehicles have had some upward price pressure locally, and I'm sure in many places as people jumped on the lots as soon as they reopened and cleaned them out. 10 grand for what it appears he has to offer is a good price.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, that's 6 hours of my life I won't get back. Truck "looked" good from 50 feet. Check the rockers and... RUST. Not just surface, but really rough and starting to perforate. And around the rear fenders, there was heavy bubbling indicating that it will or has perforated. It was basically used as a farm truck and for commuting. The box's top edges were pretty dented. Mechanically it was great except the engine has a very light knocking at the front that would go away at higher RPM than idle. Could be the water pump.

Asked him what his bottom dollar was and he said he wouldn't go lower than $9500. Geez buddy, it needs tires, rockers and fenders that will need to be repaired it it's to be useful for more than a year.

That first Silverado is now looking a whole lot better. I mean like, as long as the body is is good, everything else is fixable. Think I'll pay that dealer another visit and make him another offer.

Edit: Changed the title back :biggrin:

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In American dollars, I think that one is overpriced a bit. Decently optioned, I think that would have the 6L80.. I just cant stand that generation.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would come to $22,200CAD, not including travel (~4 hours one way), US Customs BS, import BS and the border being presently closed and even if it was open and I could go, I'd have to quarantine for 14 days on my return. So cross border shopping ain't happening right now.

I'm looking in the $10-12K CAD max. I'm not in a hurry.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That first Sierra sold so that's out. A friend suggested an Avalanche however looked at towing capacity and it's only 5100#. That's less than the Saab! And it has sucky 3.42 gears.

There's an auction happening in a week or so. I might just hold off till then. I can go and inspect before bidding online.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Changed the title for the last time :biggrin:

So Avalanches are now in the running. My buddy has one (a 2010 LTZ, low KM and dealership owner owned and maintained, flawless) and I'm seriously looking at these. 8100# towing capacity, fully enclosed, protected and lockable rear box and doesn't ride like a pickup. Essentially, a cut out Suburban. Me and the Mrs rode in his and really like the ride.

A few have come up in searches:
'08 LT, 214k km, silver (yuck), $9500 obo certified

'10 LT, 153k km, black :thumbsup:, $13000 certified

'09 LTZ, 225k km, black :thumbsup: , former USA vehicle, $7500 (dealer so likely certified)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the '09 LTZ, not just because of the price, it's an LTZ. I have to get them to send me a pic of the RPO codes in the glove box to be sure they have the tow package.

Second choice would be the '10 LT but I think it's a bit overpriced but it does have lower KM.

'08 LT is also overpriced for that year and KM. And silver.

Any thoughts? (And yes @TollKeeper , we know you hate this generation :biggrin: )

Edit: And it's Sunday today and tomorrow Labour Day so have time to mull over them.

Reactions: Matt

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You've already thought of doing this ...But... Canadian CARFAX the Hell out of the 2009...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Any thoughts?

'09 - first year the six-speed auto is standard on all 'Lanche trims.

Here's what the HD trailering pkg consisted of on the US-spec model (even on the LTZ, it was an option). The nice thing is, you could easily *add* these coolers (as aftermarket or OEM), yourself:

Heavy-Duty Trailering Package
$230 MSRP
HD Air-to-Oil External Transmission Oil Cooler
External Engine Oil Cooler

(Guessing you'd need the correct radiator, if you went the OEM route; the engine oil cooler plumbs to the LH side, in / out).

But -
The site I found this info on listed towing as 5500 lb, payload as 1433 lb. Don't know how accurate that is; it's probably for the 5.3L.

The 6.0L is still an optional engine in '09 (and will likely have the 8100 lb towing - if it's like my Sierra (8200lb 2WD), it might have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700 lb payload.
However, '08 was the last year of the 2500 Avalanche (so the 6.0L upgrade is just the engine, apparently, not all the other 3/4 ton goodies. But maybe it'll be a 6L90, instead of the 80? 3.42 axle (only, apparently).

And one thing I'm in envy of - a 31 gal fuel tank. E85 capable, too.

I see that it has ride control (the electronic shocks - $$$), and auto-leveling in the rear (air?)

And it's rolling on 20s (!)

12-way adj. heated *and* cooled seats. The lap of luxury. Nice find! :2thumbsup:

(on edit: ) The one drawback would be if you two ever decided you wanted to go full-boat 5th wheel - you'd have a problem with the short bed and those sail panels, when it came time for tight manoeuvers. Just a thought.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For towing, this is from the horse's mouth at GM. I also saw 5100#, which was kinda ludicrous, but that was with the 3.08 gears. The all important thing is the K5L HD towing option.

IMG_20200906_192220.jpg

Found out exactly what that package is from https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/318018/ :

K5L - Trailering Package, heavy-duty, includes (KNP) auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, (KC4) external engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, increased capacity radiator and cooling fans and (NQH) transfer case, active, 2-speed
1 - Includes (GU6) 3.42 ratio rear axle. Not available on 3/4 ton models.
2 - Not available on 3/4 ton models. Included with (PDA) Texas Edition and with (PEB) Regional Value Packages. Includes (GU6) 3.42 ratio rear axle.

So I went to see the LTZ and... again, RUST! However, it's just in between the rear doors and rear wheel openings (ie: cab corner) rockers and everything else was solid. It had been bondo'd before and was coming out again, and a poor job at that with overspray everywhere with what looked like bed liner. 2 flat tires, different tires front and back on 20's, I wasn't too fussy about those Boss wheels, interior was dirty and the dashboard had 2 large cracks for which he has a replacement. This was his personal vehicle until he bought another one. It has been parked a long time with a mound of leaves on the back and hood. Aired up the tires and the drive was good, shifted nicer than that Sierra, fluid is in between red and brown so OK, tires are flat spotted. Didn't have the Nav radio but that's not a deal breaker. However, what is a deal breaker is that it doesn't have the all important K5L HD towing option. To equip it with all the extras would be too much trouble and cost. And the rust. He offered it for $7800 all in and he'd fix the rust/bondo. I have to pass on this one. Oh well, it was just a 15 minute drive.

Reactions: Reprise

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The one drawback would be if you two ever decided you wanted to go full-boat 5th wheel - you'd have a problem with the short bed and those sail panels, when it came time for tight manoeuvers. Just a thought.

I doubt very much we'd ever go that route. We see those things on the road and they're just way too big. And lots of places can't accommodate trailers longer than 30 feet. A nice couple's trailer is enough for us.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.