dealer says my 5.3L 'voy does NOT have a oil pressure sensor filter??

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Oil pressure gauge on the '06 5.3 'voy Denali went to max, CEL of P0521 (sensor out of range). Call and talk with service advisor to make appointment. I indicated that the screen behind this sensor is to be changed while in there. He said there is no screen there. I verified he was looking at the 5.3 and not the 4.2L. He looked up my VIN and said my RPO didn't come with the screen. Was there more than one 5.3L V8 in the 2006 Envoy? I am sure I read here that there was a screen there on 5.3s (that can plug and lead to DOD lifter issues).

If there is a screen there, is there any exploded view diagram anyone has? Part number? for my specific application. Thanks!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All 5.3 with DoD have that screen. All 5.3 in these trucks were of the aluminum and DoD variety starting in 2005 That dealer is on crack and should find a better drug dealer.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I continued to badger him, telling him of bulletin #PIP4786 even. He claims the parts manager VIN search says I don't have it. Maybe I have the wrong VIN on file in the dealership (haven't take it there yet for this issue, but it's been there several times before). He is aware of the part having changed it on his own Tahoe.

I had thought the filter was immediately underneath the sensor and therefore not a lot of additional effort? He says if it does have the filter, the labour charge is now xxx and that was double of just replacing the pressure sensor. The filter was $10. Sigh.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Geez, all he has to do is grab the screen with a small dental hook and pull. What a dick. That's why you learn to fix it yourself. My '06 had it. Bet him the labour that it's there.

Reactions: xavierny25

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I can do it myself but I don't have the time. This vehicle feels so unreliable that I'd spend all my free time fixing it; wish I had never bought it, so frustrating that I can never catch up to all it needs. I will ask some probing questions when I drop it off and if I am not satisfied I won't leave it there. Appreciate the feedback.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I just did this on mine last week - replaced the oil pressure sensor as it was showing no pressure on the gauge and Torque showed 128 psi. New sensor and I'm good to go.

There most certainly is a screen, it's right below the sensor, as mentioned easy grab with a pick. The sensor is on top of the engine right up against the firewall. I was able to access it by pulling the fuel line form the fuel rail on the drivers side and a vacuum hose. I cleaned the filer before replacing it, and was surprised with 130,000+ miles that it was pretty clean.

Took a 1-1/16 deep well socket. Torqued to 25 ft lbs.

Job only took maybe an hour, and I didn't even remotely rush it.

I did find a diagram when googling, I think it may have been on that other site.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I did it on the 6.0 in the escalade. That sucked. Didn't disconnect anything to do it though. If I had normal sized hands it probably wouldn't be terrible but I had some scars after that one. I don't know about the screen tbh.

Dhupper

Dec 23, 2020
Colorado
I just did this on mine last week - replaced the oil pressure sensor as it was showing no pressure on the gauge and Torque showed 128 psi. New sensor and I'm good to go.

There most certainly is a screen, it's right below the sensor, as mentioned easy grab with a pick. The sensor is on top of the engine right up against the firewall. I was able to access it by pulling the fuel line form the fuel rail on the drivers side and a vacuum hose. I cleaned the filer before replacing it, and was surprised with 130,000+ miles that it was pretty clean.

Took a 1-1/16 deep well socket. Torqued to 25 ft lbs.

Job only took maybe an hour, and I didn't even remotely rush it.

I did find a diagram when googling, I think it may have been on that other site.
I registered on this site just to thank you! If it wasn't for this post I don't think I ever would have figured out about this filter. My daughter's 97-x does not list that it even has this part, anywhere but sure enough I did what you suggested and bam there it came out and it was so dirty and immediately fixed her low oil pressure problem!! It was so easy I fixed it in a parking lot where she broke down and had it done in 30 mins! Seriously thank you!

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I realize that I never followed up on this. I did indeed have the sensor. Dealership really POd me on that one. But I don't have this rig anymore.

Despite the awful experience with this rig, I am back in a Chevy again.... maybe I am masochistic? lol 2020 ZR2 Bison.

Dhupper

Dec 23, 2020
Colorado
I realize that I never followed up on this. I did indeed have the sensor. Dealership really POd me on that one. But I don't have this rig anymore.

Despite the awful experience with this rig, I am back in a Chevy again.... maybe I am masochistic? lol 2020 ZR2 Bison.
Well just the info helped me so much, it would still be screwing up and I prob never would have found out! Thank you

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.