Dead Tech 2 scanner repair.

oldfoggie

Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Canada
Many thanks to this forum for the information pointing me in the right direction. I removed the small DC to DC inverter board and found a blown component, after searching 12 volt DC to DC inverter diagrams on the internet I replaced it with a .2 ohm resistor, now the scanner powers up ok but when I run self diagnostics it looks for the loop back plug which I don't have. Does anyone have the pin out for this plug.
Now I get the message "connect the Candi module" which I do have connected and I am using it on 2009 GMC Sierra. Can I do a test on the Candi module without doing a complete self test on the scanner? that is why I am looking for the pin out for the loop back plug. I am inserting a picture of the DC to DC inverter with an arrow pointing out the blown component.small cct bd 2.JPG

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Link will provide you with enough information to take some scraps of CAT-5 or CAT-6 Cable Colored Solid Copper Wire and applying them to a New Male Plastic RJ-45 Connector, follow the simple wiring diagram; only instead of using 4 Pair Twisted Wires... slip in the ones described below within and clamp them using a proper tool for this purpose and thus, create a Simple Device called "A Loop Back Connector".

It looks essentially like THIS:

tst.JPG

Once constructed... you just plug it into the R-45 (Female Serial Port) of the Tech 2 ...and then Boot the Device. As soon as the Screen Option for Running Diagnostic Tests appears on screen... select "Run Loop Back Test" while that Plug is Plugged In.

As for your image of that Logic Board... as you can see from these images, the one you show looks nothing like THIS one... which is the Tech 2 Main Board with the Video Screen Module removed. Edge on in some of these images... You can see the RJ-45 and RJ-485 Connection Plug In Ports:

tst.JPGTECH2LOGICBOARD1.jpgTECH2LOGICBOARD2.jpgTECH2LOGICBOARD3.jpgTECH2LOGICBOARD4.jpgTECH2LOGICBOARD5.jpgTECH2LOGICBOARD6.jpg

As you can see from this Amazon Link... CANDi Modules ARE still available; many at affordable prices. I cannot make any further recommendations as to which of these are worth buying from among them all:

CANDIMODULE.jpg

oldfoggie

Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Canada
thanks for the fast response, the cct bd that I posted a picture of is the DC to DC inverter board or the cct board under that heat sink, the heat sink was removed so I could get at the under side of the board. I repaired the inverter board to get it running but have other problems showing up. I would recommend replacing the dc inverter but wanted to get it going before I order parts, this is a very good site I am glad I found it.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
NP... Glad you came here, too. THIS Link covers the related issues with a Failed Inverter Board that may also prove useful:

By the way... Once you get things Up & Running again, you might want to Download this "TECH2 Paths" PDF that has a great deal of "Step By Step" Information of a Universal Nature for the use of the Tech 2 Keyboard Inputs, Literally... "From A-Z":

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 15

oldfoggie

Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Canada
when I try your link Malware blocks it and gives a message indicating that site is infected with a Trojan virus

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ah well... I use the Linux Mint Ver. 21 OS with my CLAMAV Anti-Virus active and working via DuckDuckGo for my Search Engine and using the WaterFox Web Browser and I'm not getting any 'Hits" on it...

But it's "All Chinese..." Stuff online regarding the Non-Bosch "GYMKO" Tech 2 Products ... so it would not surprise me if this is happening. I never think about it because the Linux Operating Systems generally do not suffer the problems of having Virus or Rootkit Infections.

Okay.... THIS is precisely What starts this issue... That Site does NOT conform to an HTTPS Hyper-Text Mark Up Language Security Standard... inviting so many problems...

OBD2365UNSECUREPAGE.jpg

Last edited:

oldfoggie

Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Canada
I did all the tests with these results, PCMIA self test, P1 card not present, P2 card present,
rs232 test passed
Automated PCB passed
VCI loop back adapter missing
DLC 1 fail, DLC 2 fail, CCD fail Loop back fail

I searched for a VCI loop back adapter but didn't find anything, is this a special adapter, it looks like the cable that goes straight to the OBD 2 socket or can I construct one?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Visit THIS Link at the Bosch Vetronix OEM Sales Site and Read Up on the VCI Module and view the Module images. This device slides inside of the Base if the Tech 2 and it is meant to electrically interface with the Tech 2 Logic Board while having the DLC Cable Attachment interface located on its opposite end in the Base of the VCI Unit.

It is held in place by a Sliding Locking Latch. So...Before you assume it has internal damage or condemn that unit as having any physical internal damage or problems, Unlock The Latch and completely Remove the VCI Module.

Clean the VCI internal Interface contacts with CRC Electronic Spray Solvent. Once it become Bone Dry... then carefully re-insert that VCI Module and re-latch the Unit firmly in place inside the Tech 2 Base:

Please review this GM OEM Technician Training Video for ALL the OEM Set Up Instructions performed by GM ASE Mechanics beginning in the Early 1990s. Take Special Note of which PCMCIA Slot to use ... as you may have inserted the PCMCIA Card into the wrong location when choosing between the 2 Slots for PCMCIA Cards.

This is NOT a Trivial Training Film, but was originally offered as Genuine Introductory Instructional Material to All GM Service Technician Employees during the Transition from the GM Tech 1 over to the GM Tech 2 Hand Scan Tool:

One Last Thing Worth Mentioning...

As 'Proof Of Life' that I was NOT merely giving you Lip Service over your Malware Concerns... Here is the Screen Print of the results of running a COMPLETE CLAMAV n.Virus Scan... Take note of the Results information captured inside of the Yellow Highlighted Rectangle in this Image below:

CLAMAVFULLSCAN092320229.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I forgot to add in THIS *** Link to a 'Beauty of a Tech 2 Peripheral Diagnostics Procedures' Site that will prove very helpful and comprehensive concerning the "Step By Steps" for checking out these device interfaces such as the VCI Module:

*** Added to This Link for Tech 2 and VXDIAG Information Guide:

Attachments

• TECH2TESTS.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online