Dead Alternator with no dash warning?

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
2005 5.3 LM7 Yukon (with the RVC alternator control system)

So yesterday my alternator died at some point. No warning light came on. First sign I saw was simultaneously the Brake, ABS, Traction Control, and Battery lights illuminated along with the chime sounding for several seconds. Later the entire cluster went blank, all gauges to zero and no lighting. Engine kept running. Quickly started my torque app and saw voltage at less than 6 volts. Holy Crap!! As it happened I was on my way to Napa Auto for an unrelated item, about an eighth mile away so I continued on to the store. They didn't have my alternator but I was able to restart it and drive about a mile or so to a friends place after disconnecting and letting the battery recover a little while. Today I secured an alternator and replaced it. All is fine now.

The question is...why does my battery warning light not come on with a totally dead alternator!?! I charged the battery overnight and tested the charging system with my Tech 2, commanding the system on and off. Had absolutely no output, and the battery light did not illuminate. It only came on along with all those other lights after the battery had depleted itself down to less than 7 volts!

Color me puzzled :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It happens. Might depend on the type of failure that the system might not detect. I've had it happen both ways. No rhyme or reason.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online