Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Sounds good to me.

Jared

Feb 23, 2016
Boston
I was just curious what ended up happening with this project, what did you end up using for a transmission cross member? Did you keep the one from the I6 or did you have to get an aftermarket one?

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sorry for the hiatus, I was playing catch up from the holidays. The project is still on but we bought a new toy in December so it slowed down a little bit.
IMG_6928.JPG

I recently purchased some Prothane bushings and Moog Ball joints and over the weekend I ripped apart the entire front end and began sanding and painting everything with rustoleum black hammered.

IMG_7224.1.jpg
IMG_7225.1.jpg
IMG_7226.1.jpg

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Got the ball joints in. However I'm having a hard time pressing the old bushings out due to rust. Anyone have any suggests on that? Right now they're soaking in vinegar to break the rust free.

Pictures of the ball joints

IMG_7245 (1).JPG IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Had the same problem. I had to burn them out with a torch and then use an air hammer to get the shells out.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Any shop with a hefty hydraulic press should be able to pop those babies out no problem,supporting them properly during the pressing is most important, otherwise like Mooseman says, they will have to come out in pieces...Mike.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Decembersend ...Dude... Those images you took of ALL the major front end suspension parts are PRICELESS! At least I now have an good idea of what all the Heavy Hardware looks like under the front end of the TB and a fair idea of how much work would be involved for disassembly. Thanks for posting the photos!

EDIT:

No wonder your having trouble getting these out... They're built like the German Pillboxes along Normandy Beach on June 6th, 1944...!...and Dug in like an Alabama Tick!

s-l1600.jpg

But its either that... or wind up having to pay $300 per side on eBay for something like this...
$%28KGrHqJ,%21jYE2HeyFNbFBNi9sZd4tQ%7E%7E_1.JPG

Last edited:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Had the same problem. I had to burn them out with a torch and then use an air hammer to get the shells out.

I'm going to leave them soaking over the weekend to see if the vinegar actually works or not. The color of the vinegar as changed to a brownish color so far so we'll see.

If not I do have torches. I forgot to add in my earlier post that me and my buddy were using is 20T press with ball joint cups and they barley moved.

Any shop with a hefty hydraulic press should be able to pop those babies out no problem,supporting them properly during the pressing is most important, otherwise like Mooseman says, they will have to come out in pieces...Mike.

The sad thing is my buddy and I were using his 20T press and it barely moved. I'm going to leave them soaking for the weekend and see what happens. If nothing I will use torches.

@Decembersend ...Dude... Those images you took of ALL the major front end suspension parts are PRICELESS! At least I now have an good idea of what all the Heavy Hardware looks like under the front end of the TB and a fair idea of how much work would be involved for disassembly. Thanks for posting the photos!

Not a problem at all.

If anyone has to remove the LCA that's been rusting for years and plans to get alignment afterwards I suggest removing the lower bracket to remove help remove the LCA.

The problem that I experienced was the bolts that hold the LCA to the bracket were rusted in there and it was such a pain to remove while it was on the vehicle. That's how I did the Passenger side on the Drivers side I took everything off as one piece except for the UCA.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Wow! Great thread. Note to self. If attempting 4.2 to 5.3/6.0 swap first obtain a V8 roll over or totaled from the back :biggrin: I had no idea of the different location of the EBCM making the brake lines different.

I read through the thread but haven't seen too much chatter about wiring harnesses. Aren't the PCM connectors different between the older 4.2 TB's and the newer V8's? Are you going to cut/splice your original harnesses or obtain correct one's (interior/chassis) from junk yard?

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Wow! Great thread. Note to self. If attempting 4.2 to 5.3/6.0 swap first obtain a V8 roll over or totaled from the back :biggrin: I had no idea of the different location of the EBCM making the brake lines different.

I read through the thread but haven't seen too much chatter about wiring harnesses. Aren't the PCM connectors different between the older 4.2 TB's and the newer V8's? Are you going to cut/splice your original harnesses or obtain correct one's (interior/chassis) from junk yard?

That's next on the list of things to do. What I think I'm going to do is remove every pin from the new engine harness and put it into my old engine harness. This way there is no splicing and it'll be plug and play.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Hmm, I didn't think you needed to mess with the engine harness/connector(s) since it came with the engine and ECM. Is it complete and undamaged? I don't have everything in front of me like you do so I wouldn't know for sure. I was thinking more along the lines of the interior harness. As an example... below is pics of a mostly complete interior harness out of a 4.2 TB 4X2. The 4X4 version of this harness has the transfer case controller connectors. The interior harness is the "umbilical" from the PCM(ECM) to the BCM (and rear fuse box) including supporting wiring for all the dash components. If the PCM/ECM connector pins are the same then I would think all you need is schematics for your year TB and the year of the donor drivetrain. A problem you might run into with the 4.2 TB interior harness is its built to length and only has enough length to accommodate the factory location of the 4.2 PCM. I have never personally looked in the engine bay of a V8 TB... so I'm not too sure about harness routing. Is the ECM located further forward and close to the frame? I guess what I'm getting at is if you plan to keep your original interior harness (assuming PCM/ECM connector pins are the same) then you might need to find a way to mount your ECM near the engine bay fuse box.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
The project hasn't been abandon just to let everyone know. I've been busy with house things recently.

I will be picking it up soon.

Reactions: Capote

CoreyH

May 5, 2014
Good.
I am in the middle of my swap as well. Currently getting a Matte Black paint job, and as soon as that is done I will be finishing the motor. Mine is an 04 LS I6 and I've built a 5.3, ported and polished 243 heads, LS9 cam, 102mm LS1 intake manifold, SS oil pan, SS throttlebody, and LS1 water pump. Still have a little work to do to the motor but I am ready to go ahead and drop it in, get the new mounts installed and then finish the rest of the motor while its in. Already have the 04 EXT 5.3 PCM, found out only a few sensors are different on a 2001 1500 truck harness versus the 04 TB EXT 5.3 harness, so just going to do some connector swapping. Should be a fun project!

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Good.
I am in the middle of my swap as well. Currently getting a Matte Black paint job, and as soon as that is done I will be finishing the motor. Mine is an 04 LS I6 and I've built a 5.3, ported and polished 243 heads, LS9 cam, 102mm LS1 intake manifold, SS oil pan, SS throttlebody, and LS1 water pump. Still have a little work to do to the motor but I am ready to go ahead and drop it in, get the new mounts installed and then finish the rest of the motor while its in. Already have the 04 EXT 5.3 PCM, found out only a few sensors are different on a 2001 1500 truck harness versus the 04 TB EXT 5.3 harness, so just going to do some connector swapping. Should be a fun project!

Good luck with your swap. :2thumbsup:

I'm currently on the wiring stage and to be honest I've taken a bit of a break. Not really in a rush with it as I once was now that I have a reliable DD.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Many thanks for starting this thread, I will follow with great interest.

One question, why not install the 5.3L engine ?

CoreyH

May 5, 2014
Good luck with your swap. :2thumbsup:

I'm currently on the wiring stage and to be honest I've taken a bit of a break. Not really in a rush with it as I once was now that I have a reliable DD.

Same here. I've slowed down a bit. Weather is finally cooperating so I got 3 coats of paint on the body today. Hopefully have the bumpers done this weekend so I can put the body back together and get the interior redone

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Just bought one too, could have used this so many times instead of improvising :thumbsup: Mike.

Reactions: Decembersend

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

NewToThis

Sep 24, 2020
Florida
this is obviously way outdated but did you ever finish? I dont wanna sell my TB but cant seem to find anyone with a parts list on what i would need for the swap. i dont have a donor so was wondering if you had a complete parts list so i could order everything.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
this is obviously way outdated but did you ever finish? I dont wanna sell my TB but cant seem to find anyone with a parts list on what i would need for the swap. i dont have a donor so was wondering if you had a complete parts list so i could order everything.

He doesn't get on here anymore, but I still keep in touch with him. He hasn't finished the V8 swap (yet) but he's going to be moving into a new place with more space than his last spot, so he said he plans to pick the project up again. He promised me, cuz I always give him a hard time about it. 🤣

NewToThis

Sep 24, 2020
Florida
He doesn't get on here anymore, but I still keep in touch with him. He hasn't finished the V8 swap (yet) but he's going to be moving into a new place with more space than his last spot, so he said he plans to pick the project up again. He promised me, cuz I always give him a hard time about it. 🤣
damn that sucks im trying to get a price range together for the whole thing to approach the wife with XD she said i can go ahead but i dont think she knows how much im talking about here lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Owning both an I6 and V8, I can approximate what you'll need.

6.0L engine with a GMT360/370 V8 oil pan, intake air duct and filter box with windshield washer/coolant tank, 4L70E tranny with V8 bellhousing and torque converter (or a beefed up 4L60E), TBSS 9.0 rear diff with driveshaft or at the very least one from a V8/EXT with 8.6 gears, exhaust Y pipe with cats, full engine wiring harness, PCM, TCM and fuse box, radiator, upper and lower hoses, engine mounts and frame brackets, front fuel line to fuel rail, A/C lines, might need to reprogram the BCM if it doesn't like talking to the V8 PCM.

Also need to add other ancillary parts like fluids, belts, water pump and thermostat, plugs, wires, etc.

Reactions: mrrsm and Blckshdw

NewToThis

Sep 24, 2020
Florida
Owning both an I6 and V8, I can approximate what you'll need.

6.0L engine with a GMT360/370 V8 oil pan, intake air duct and filter box with windshield washer/coolant tank, 4L70E tranny with V8 bellhousing and torque converter (or a beefed up 4L60E), TBSS 9.0 rear diff with driveshaft or at the very least one from a V8/EXT with 8.6 gears, exhaust Y pipe with cats, full engine wiring harness, PCM, TCM and fuse box, radiator, upper and lower hoses, engine mounts and frame brackets, front fuel line to fuel rail, A/C lines, might need to reprogram the BCM if it doesn't like talking to the V8 PCM.

Also need to add other ancillary parts like fluids, belts, water pump and thermostat, plugs, wires, etc.
Im trying to decide buying a brand new turn key stay LQ9 or a used one thats just bare right now. Also thank you.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Trying to get your hands on some of these items might Start a Fist Fight over Getting Them out of a Salvage Yard that is lucky enough to have the Items you need. For example(s):

2006TBSIXLITERENGINEHARNESS.jpg

GMT3606LITEROILPAN.jpgGMT3606LITEROILPAN1.jpg

2006TBENVOYPCM.jpg

This information is to suggest that you might want to Prioritize the List of items you want to go after during The Early Days of The Build.

Last edited:

Motocross103

Oct 31, 2020
Muskegon mi

Just read this ls swap thread. Anyone kno how to get ahold of decembersend? I'd love to get ahold of him about progress.

Motocross103

Oct 31, 2020
Muskegon mi
Just letting everyone know. I will be starting this project back up very soon. Prob this weekend. Last weekend I replaced all the bushings with polyurethane and replaced the upper and lower ball joints with moogs.

Its October 31,2020 I'd love to read about the ls v8 swap. Please get on here and post update/pics/videos. I have a 2006 gmc envoy 4.2L that just blew a rod out of the block. Now after reading your thread I'm very interested on a parts list and a range of money spent..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just read this ls swap thread. Anyone kno how to get ahold of decembersend? I'd love to get ahold of him about progress.

You can try sending him a PM but no guarantees. He hasn't logged on here since 2017.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online