Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

David11946

Apr 24, 2012
New York
I know that I'm pretty late with this but...could anyone help with a conclusion to this thread?

I've been really trying hard to research a swap like this and this is the only guy I've found that has gotten this far.
I'm really starting to feel like there is some sort of conspiracy against swapping engines in the Envoy/Trailblazer platforms. Yet there are Japanese and European imports out there running American LS engines in them.
If there is a continuation to this thread somewhere, can anyone post the link or point me at the source of further info in this? I appreciate the work you've done Decembersend and it's given me hope for my TB. Thanks!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
David11946 said:
I know that I'm pretty late with this but...could anyone help with a conclusion to this thread?

I've been really trying hard to research a swap like this and this is the only guy I've found that has gotten this far.
I'm really starting to feel like there is some sort of conspiracy against swapping engines in the Envoy/Trailblazer platforms. Yet there are Japanese and European imports out there running American LS engines in them.
If there is a continuation to this thread somewhere, can anyone post the link or point me at the source of further info in this? I appreciate the work you've done Decembersend and it's given me hope for my TB. Thanks!
The swap is still in progress, not yet completed, he just got the motor sat in there a couple days ago. You'll just have to wait until he finishes I guess. :wink:

Reactions: Sib and Blckshdw

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Gearheadvr4 said:
How difficult did you think it was dropping the engine onto the new mounts? I fought mine for a while before it dropped in place.
Even though the mounts are in the same location as the old mounts, the passenger side was a pain to get it to line up.

Gerbil21 said:
So you only needed to unbolt to old mounts then bolt up the V8 mounts and drop the engine in?
Pretty much. The mount brackets had to be changed for the new mounts. The brackets use the same mounting holes in the frame.

David11946 said:

Not to worry I'm still working on it I pretty much have all the parts (except a few) so now I put time into it whenever I can between work and Rain.

I'm going to post this on the SS forum but does anyone know what the part number is for the SS windshield fluid reservoir? I have one I'm watching but looking at the Pics it seems like its missing a spot for the rear pump.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The number is 15287059. Maybe the SS doesn't have a rear washer? My question would be why would it be different than the 5.3? All TB's, including the SS, use the same filter element.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
The number is 15287059. Maybe the SS doesn't have a rear washer? My question would be why would it be different than the 5.3? All TB's, including the SS, use the same filter element.
When I look up that number it comes up as the the cover but that's ok I needed that too.

It took awhile but I believe I found the number for the SS 25796347, and for the 5.3 the number is 257964343.

I don't understand why they're any different but they do have different numbers.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Both washer motors are on the front of my Aero tank.

Reactions: Decembersend

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same as on my old TB. On my 5.3i, I also have the third one for the headlight washers on the side towards the engine. Maybe that's the difference. Couldn't find Saab part numbers. I needed the cover for my 5.3 so got one for a 5.3 TB. Worked perfectly except the warning sticker was upside down :duh:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I finished putting my headers on yesterday. The passenger side was a pain I followed Kooks instructions which is the correct way to do it, but it still didn't make it any easier. You have to unbolt the the motor mounts and raise the engine 2" so you can put the passenger header in from the top of the engine, that was the easy part the hard part was putting the motor mounts back on to the brackets. The drivers side was simple I didn't have to remove anything because the only thing your suppose to move is the front drive shaft which I don't have installed anyways atm.

When I was removing the old headers off the engine a couple of months ago I broke one of the bolts in the head, with a little bit of heat from torches I was able to remove it. I figured no big deal I'll just replace the one bolt when I get the new headers and I put the rest in a zip lock bag, well somehow I miss placed two additional bolts :hissyfit:. So as of right now I only have 3 bolts holding the drivers side header in place. I plan on buying these ARP bolts from PCMofNC hoping they have a sale this weekend for labor day, I also need a couple of other things as well.

I decided to put the CV axels in and change the rear diff fluid as well. I started on the passenger side and discovered the bearings are shot inside the Carrier :no: , something else to add to the list. The drivers side was fine and changing the rear diff fluid went on without a hitch.

Oh and the headers aren't tightened yet because I'm waiting on the new bolts, plus the transmission to go in place and finally the cats and Y-pipe.

Now on for the pics.

Drivers Side
IMG_6345.JPG

Passenger Side
IMG_6346.1.jpg

Underneath
IMG_6349.1.jpg

Drivers Side CV axel
IMG_6348.1.jpg

Passenger Side Carrier (look on the left you can see the bad bearings
IMG_6358.1.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:tiphat: Hat's off to you man! I don't think I would ever have the patience (or money) to pull off a mod like this. Let alone in my driveway. Nice work so far.

Reactions: Capote

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:tiphat: Hat's off to you man! I don't think I would ever have the patience (or money) to pull off a mod like this. Let alone in my driveway. Nice work so far.
Thank you, so far everything is working out. This isn't even the hard part, I believe the hard part will be the wiring.

This is def. an expensive mod, but it's also a great learning experience. I'm just glad I'm able to do something like this.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Decembersend said:
Thank you, so far everything is working out. This isn't even the hard part, I believe the hard part will be the wiring.

This is def. an expensive mod, but it's also a great learning experience. I'm just glad I'm able to do something like this.
I agree about the wiring. Everything else is basically having the proper parts. And doing the work. Are you going to use an SS harness? Can't remember if you got a complete drop out engine. I'd like to do this myself to my rainier eventually. Was figuring on just using an SS harness and BCM if necessary.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Tiggerr said:
I agree about the wiring. Everything else is basically having the proper parts. And doing the work. Are you going to use an SS harness? Can't remember if you got a complete drop out engine. I'd like to do this myself to my rainier eventually. Was figuring on just using an SS harness and BCM if necessary.
I'm going to remove and then repin it to the existing harness, which is going to be the fun part. I thought about buying the inside wire harness to avoid this but hopefully it won't be to hard.

24v 4.2 said:
Guy on TBSS site is selling a washer tank and airbox lid.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/tbss-parts/173658-parts-sale.html

Dammit a day late I looked for several days of TBSS and on here for someone selling it and of course the day after I buy the stuff off eBay someone post that they're selling it. Oh and it's cheaper :no:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I hate it when that happens :mad: :lipsrsealed: :duh: :badday: :poke: :Banghead: :explode:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Looks good. I found my rear diff from a 92 GMC 2500LD. I wanted the 9.5 ring and it came with 3.73 gears. I took it home and gave it some good love. I tore it down to housing and wire brushed it down like you where trying to do. there wasn't much paint left on it. primed and painted it. new brakes bearings, seals and a Detroit Locker. Whala. It works great. Hope you enjoy your new diff.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Not tracking Matt. Did I miss something? Inside joke?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
...Whala...

Wait till Roadie see's this... :lipsrsealed:
Blackwater said:
Not tracking Matt. Did I miss something? Inside joke?
:laugh: Yes, it's a bit of an inside joke. Roadie doesn't visit this forum much anymore, but here's a post of his regarding his feeling on the (mis)spelling of the word 'voila'

The_Roadie said:
I'm not a grammar nazi but I play one on TV sometimes. That word is one of my top ten pet peeves when it's misspelled, and folks who learn it from conversation and not from reading, often guess wrong on the spelling and origin. I see wala almost monthly on some forums, and I'm glad to see someone else gently educating people. I took French in high school because nothing else was offered, but German would have been much more practical for engineering.
Edit: Full thread
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/12142-the-word-voil%C3%A0/

end :hijack:

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
My sis is a English and Journalist Major. I always tell her that I'm an engineer, most of the time you cant tell what I'm writing.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Matt

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I've been searching all day but I can't really find a difinitive answer, is the 6.0L a returnless or a return fuel system?

I know the 4.2L was returnless so I just want to make sure I don't have to change up the fuel system. I haven't connected the lines yet but they look like they're very close to where the old lines connected prior to going to the tank.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Ran into several issues.

- ABS pump is in the way of the Drivers side header, now I'm getting ready to thumb to All Data to see where the SS ABS pump is located.

- Can't find any data on the fuel pump being returnless or return style, again getting ready to thumb through All Data

- Transmission is 3" further forward I already knew this was an issue but I may have a solution. I sent an email to Left Coast on TBSS to see if his crossmember will work if I flip it. Other option is to get the 4L80e which from what I read will bolt to the factory location of the 4.2L TB

Reactions: Gerbil21 and Mounce

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Feeling like an idiot now that I have had time to think and research the fuel system is returnless. There are only two fuel lines coming from the engine one feeds one to each fuel rail. :duh:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
See I thought that it was going to be a return system because there's two lines with the i6 and there's only one fuel rail. But I'm quite uncertain and that's why I haven't said anything.

I know on LS builds most people make them return style by bridging the two rails at the front so that fuel goes in one and out the other.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Decembersend said:
- Transmission is 3" further forward I already knew this was an issue but I may have a solution. I sent an email to Left Coast on TBSS to see if his crossmember will work if I flip it. Other option is to get the 4L80e which from what I read will bolt to the factory location of the 4.2L TB
From what I remember from other members that have boosted the 4.2, the stock 4L60E didn't survive long, along with the stock 8.0 rear. With the trans out it's obviously the best time to get the driveline beefed up. A modded 4L60E would work but since you could likely get the 4L80 in there that's the route I would pursue.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
gmcman said:
From what I remember from other members that have boosted the 4.2, the stock 4L60E didn't survive long, along with the stock 8.0 rear. With the trans out it's obviously the best time to get the driveline beefed up. A modded 4L60E would work but since you could likely get the 4L80 in there that's the route I would pursue.
Sorry for the confusion. I have the entire drivetrain out of what I thought was an 07' SS but it's actually an 08' SS according to the vin that PCMofNC pulled out of my PCM not sure if that makes an difference lol.

Anyways I have the 4L70e,AWD tcase (Number slips my mind), Front and rear diff 4:10

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Decembersend said:
Sorry for the confusion. I have the entire drivetrain out of what I thought was an 07' SS but it's actually an 08' SS according to the vin that PCMofNC pulled out of my PCM not sure if that makes an difference lol.

Anyways I have the 4L70e,AWD tcase (Number slips my mind), Front and rear diff 4:10
Sweet. Looks like you're covered.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: What are the chances you have that thing road ready in January?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decembersend said:
It won't be to much longer now, why do you ask?
Since we're not having the annual meet next month, thinking of setting something up in January.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Why no annual meet?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:hijack: Couple of reasons really.

We've been steadily losing a lot of our out of town alumni. Bo Tie SS stopped coming down from OH. MarkMC doesn't get on here anymore, Eutechnyx always has bagged events at the end of October/beginning of November. David was a regular attendee for some years, but with his TB going down, that pretty much left me, JimmyJam, and Triz, and if I was able to get any new bay area members to come. JimmyJam is retired from the forum, and with a 2 month old in the house, semi retired from meets.

So there's all that, AND, I didn't feel like putting in the energy to recruit. LOTs of digging through the forum and sending PMs. We have a lot of FL members, most are just lurkers. Would maybe get responses from about 1/4-1/3 of them, half of those say they would love to come. Then don't show up. Didn't wanna be bothered with the frustration.

Capote says he might be visiting FL when he comes back from his deployment, so I'm thinking maybe post-holidays will be easier to get people to meet up. Jimmy's baby will be a little bit older, so may feel more comfortable being out and about for an afternoon. David's truck can be ready, and maybe some of the guys in Orlando can roll out here with you.
wish.gif

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
How is it coming along?

Last edited:

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
If you guys do something in JAN, ILL BE THERE!!!! Might bring some friends too. Sorry to clutter the thread, back to the swap I have always wanted to do.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
How is it coming along?

Sorry I haven't worked on the TB at all in Oct. it's a busy month in this household lol.

I'm getting back to work this weekend tho. I need to make brake lines due to having to move the ABS module or find the brake lines at junk yard they need to be from a V8.

They have to be from a V8 because the ABS module is located in a different spot due to the headers.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
ah, I feel you brother.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Last Saturday I went to LKQ in Bradenton and I didn't have any luck finding a TB/Voy with a V8. On my way out the manager stopped me and asked me if he found what I was looking for I told him no I need a V8 TB/Voy for its brake line. He then told me that he had one I told him it wasn't out there, he then proceed to look for himself.

He came back and said he couldn't find it so it must be in holding and that I have to come back on Monday. Oh and he also said I'll have first dibs.

Went back on Monday and he had his guy look in holding and it wasn't there. Then both his guy and I search the entire lot again and I finally came acrossed it in the F*** section. So much for being first.

Luckily I got what I went there for Brake lines, also picked up fuel lines and the Temp sensor for the RVM.

Today I half installed the brake lines meaning they are all in place except I have to attach them to the clips and put them on the pump.

Big advice for anyone that plans an 4.2 to 5.3/6.0 replace the brake lines before putting the engine in. The front PS is a PITA to due afterwords but it is possible.

Also make sure the lines you get and from a SWB V8 and not a LWB V8 the back brake line is longer. Trust me I know from experience, I'm still going to use the line I just have to manipulate it to make it reach the ABS module.

I tried to make my own lines that def wasn't happening lol.

I didn't get any pics. Maybe tomorrow.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I ordered a Walbro 255 fuel pump and a fuel filter regulator. I received my fuel pump now I'm just waiting on the fuel filter/regulator to arrive so I can get the tank back on and continue the swap.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online