WANTED Cylinder heads needed to replace heads on my 5.3 liter 350 vortec in my 01 silverado 2wd

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Am in dire straits and would really appreciate if anyone could help me find some cylinder heads to replace the ones on my 5.3 liter 350 vortec. My current ones are the 706 stamped castech heads and I'm experiencing the disappearing coolant issue outlined in the service bulletin, so naturally I am wanting to avoid using that particular casting. In any event, this is my daily driver and(as im sure is the case with many of us) I don't have much money to work with. I recently was laid off so the timing could be better. Anyway if anyone has any heads for sale or suggestions(for free lol) it would be greatly appreciated, my local salvage doesn't have much stock of this type. I will be doing the head replacement myself. Again, thanks in advance!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
5.3L 350 Vortec? Doesnt exist
5.3L Vortec, with 706 heads.. You could always find heads off pretty much any 5.3, depending on year make model. But the ones to find are the 799 heads in the right year range. I am guessing you have a 1999-2003, but more specific info is needed.

You didnt mention where in the world you are located, so its hard to do research on your area.
Also needed is the 8th digit of your VIN, and year, make, and model.

Edit: Sorry, like most others, I dont read the thread title, just the thread.. 2001 Chevy Silvy. Im guessing the 8th digit is a T Engine code LM7?... Now I just need to know where in the world you are?

Just for reference, I have 706 heads on my LM4 GMC Envoy, and she runs fine, with no coolant issues (knock on wood)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have a pick n pull yard nearby, you could pull your own probably fairly cheaply.

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
If you have a pick n pull yard nearby, you could pull your own probably fairly cheaply.
Yeah, I went up there Saturday, and will continue to monitor their stock, but they were limited on 5.3 vortec related parts, good tip though ty

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Well exactly , I'd rather not replace them with the same potentially defective head if possible, I will
follow up regardless and ty
At the very least Ive found a really cool YouTube channel, that I do cars is pretty awesome....really gave me some insight into the inner workings of an engine, plus that dude is pretty funny....thanks for the suggestion!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I'm sure he has more than 706 heads, but won't know until you reach out to him.

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
5.3L 350 Vortec? Doesnt exist
5.3L Vortec, with 706 heads.. You could always find heads off pretty much any 5.3, depending on year make model. But the ones to find are the 799 heads in the right year range. I am guessing you have a 1999-2003, but more specific info is needed.

You didnt mention where in the world you are located, so its hard to do research on your area.
Also needed is the 8th digit of your VIN, and year, make, and model.

Edit: Sorry, like most others, I dont read the thread title, just the thread.. 2001 Chevy Silvy. Im guessing the 8th digit is a T Engine code LM7?... Now I just need to know where in the world you are?

Just for reference, I have 706 heads on my LM4 GMC Envoy, and she runs fine, with no coolant issues (knock on wood)thank

I'm sure he has more than 706 heads, but won't know until you reach out to h
Hey tollkeeper, sorry for the missing info, and appreciate your help, yes the 8th digit of the vin is in fact a T on my 2001 silverado ls, 2wd......also im in NW oklahoma USA, near city of tulsa.....and perhaps I should've also stated the symptoms that initiated me needing the parts. It started when I had a low coolant warning, but just assumed it was due to a poor hose repair I had done when the serpentine belt cut into it(reassembly fail on my part), but soon(a few weeks) after replacing the hose and refilling the coolant, I have been getting a random misfire code as well as engine loss of power and a couple of trips backfiring.i thought it was a MAP sensor failure, so I replaced the sensor ,and for good measure got some MAF sensor cleaner for my maf sensor as well. That helped but for the last 3 to 5 days it has just seemed really "loud" for lack of a better word, also the engine sounds almost boatish in the timing. Thats when I took a closer look at things and noticed the low coolant, additionally the coolant looks darker, somewhat oily. That's when I remembered that anytime one sees oily coolant(or coolant oil) its indicative of a blown head gasket or worse, cracked head. Couldn't find coolant leak and thats when I stumbled onto the castech head failure issue announcement from chevy, saw that the 706 can be a strong indicator of the defective casting. I haven't removed valve covers yet to confirm , but signs are strongly indicating the suspicion.....

Last edited by a moderator:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That guy might be a really good lead for you. He is just north east of you in Missouri. I think Joplin, or maybe Springfield.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Your local LKQ Pick a Part has quite a selection of the parts you are looking for...

The 1999 Red Chevy Silvy with the V Code 4.8 LR4 engine would be my prime candidate. Same heads, same block, as a 5.3. They just changed the stroke to get a smaller displacement.

The 2000 Red Chevy Silvy with the T code 5.3 LM7 thats wrecked in the front would also be a really good candidate.

The 2000 Black GMC Yukon with the T Code 5.3 LM7 looks to have been a theft recovery

The above are the earlier head revisions. The Castech problem doesnt start until 2001 for Castech embossed 706 heads.

Also..
The 2002 GMC Sierra with the T code 5.3 LM7 that was wrecked. Would have been a running and driving truck prior to the wreck.

I am not sure of the interchange on the 6.0 engines for the heads.

Cant help you with Danny's, or PoeBoys. Those yards dont list inventory online.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Also, you can look at all the other 5.3 there, and if they are the T code LM7, you would just have to pull the valve cover and look for the Castech Emboss. If it doesnt have that Emboss, you should be good.

Castech Identification..

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - Favor to ask you, can you fix his post above with the multiple replies.. Its screwing with my browser for some reason.

Moose edit: Removed the multiple quoted texts

Last edited by a moderator:

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Yeah I. Not sure why it kept doing that, and do yall think these might work? (If so I just need to negotiate em down like 300 bux 😂)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-065213_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-065213_Facebook.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 12

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yeah I. Not sure why it kept doing that, and do yall think these might work? (If so I just need to negotiate em down like 300 bux 😂)
Can you send me a direct link to that listing? Something doesn't look right, but I need to look at the other pics to verify.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. To many head bolt locations. Those heads will not work, and are for the older LT 305/350 Vortec. You need LS heads. Don't let the Vortec fool you, that wording has been used for more than just LS engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakster918

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Can you send me a direct link to that listing? Something doesn't look right, but I need to look at the other pics to verify.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. To many head bolt locations. Those heads will not work, and are for the older LT 305/350 Vortec. You need LS heads. Don't let the Vortec fool you, that wording has been used for more than just LS engines.
Awesome, ty much! So what does "LS" designate? Cleary its not just a trim level; I mean I understand that when someone says they wanna do an LS swap, they're talking about putting (i believe) a corvette engine in the truck right? Just trying to clarify.....

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Great article indeed, still not sure why we call it in an LS swap if the engine in my truck is already an "ls" engine.....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think it was just a informational thing for you and your engine, not really about a LS swap that the article refers to.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.