Cv shaft or bearings?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I was driving today and noticed a rattling from front passanger side. I got underneath and looked around. If I have the right terminology, I believe what's rattling is the half shaft bar. It has play up and down and back and forth. The driver side is tight with no movement at all. The cv boot looks intact. Is there a way to determine what I need to change? I'm thinking this isn't going to be a very fun fix? Any advice?

Thanks.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I was driving today and noticed a rattling from front passanger side. I got underneath and looked around. If I have the right terminology, I believe what's rattling is the half shaft bar. It has play up and down and back and forth. The driver side is tight with no movement at all. The cv boot looks intact. Is there a way to determine what I need to change? I'm thinking this isn't going to be a very fun fix? Any advice?

Thanks.

If you have all axis movement of the CV shaft itself then you need to go ahead and replace it... It comes as a unit and I believe there is a write up on it here or on the other side...

Good luck doo...

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
McGMT said:
If you have all axis movement of the CV shaft itself then you need to go ahead and replace it... It comes as a unit and I believe there is a write up on it here or on the other side...

Good luck doo...

Thanks, we're heading out on week 2 of holidays today about a 200km drive to Owen Sound. My father in law has a friend up there all the farmers go to and he's gonna swap it out for me if that's what it is. I'll post later today what needs to be replaced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's only the cv shaft assembly.
I can hardly wait to drive father in laws new truck, he got a 2011 Chevy 2500HD pick up :thumbsup: !

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
If it's the passenger side CV shaft, and it has movement inboard at the oil pan side, you have the dreaded bearing failure of the splined disconnect.

More reading: Offroadtb.com Front Axle 4WD Disconnect

What you need to buy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QBZPS6/?tag=gmtnation-20

Get it from Amazon for $309.75 and save a couple of bucks.

Thanks for the input Roadie!

Oh boy....this is starting to really suck! I just went out an looked again and grabbed the housing that the rubber boot is strapped to, I can confirm it has play in n out 1/8 to 1/4". Am I taking a chance to drive 200km before fixing or should I be doing this first? Sounds like this is gonna cost me a few, I hope it doesn't turn into a dealership visit.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
IN AND OUT is normal, and is how the CV shaft clicks into its splined receptacle. UP and DOWN and tilting of the housing shows a bearing failure.

If it's just a rattling part of the CV shaft, then just install a new shaft. Between here and trailvoy it's been discussed with pictures about a hundred times.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
IN AND OUT is normal, and is how the CV shaft clicks into its splined receptacle. UP and DOWN and tilting of the housing shows a bearing failure.

If it's just a rattling part of the CV shaft, then just install a new shaft. Between here and trailvoy it's been discussed with pictures about a hundred times.

Yep, I have up and down movement as well. Is the axle or something gonna fall out if I drive it 200km today before I fix it? I got a mechanic lined up and there is the Stealership up there too. We were gonna leave soon as I got rooms booked, it would be nice to get the family to the hotel pool and then I can run around and get it fixed but I don't wanna end up crashing the truck with the family in there either. Damm decisions :undecided::undecided:

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I forgot to update on this. So I went to the mechanic at the barn all the local farmers use. No big door and service advisor greeting you here. Cement floor with a pit, no hoists. So I explained what I thought the problem was with either the cv shaft or the disconnect making the rattling. He went for a drive and had a hard time to hear it on the gravel road but said he eventually heard it from front right. He got under it and checked the shaft and disconnect and he felt the play and said it seemed normal. He spend some time checking other parts. He eventually took off the stabilizer end link and showed me how loose it was. He got a new one and put it in and test drove again and said there ya go, all fixed! I don't hear the noise anymore and it actually feels better to drive. Problem is solved but I'll keep an eye on that shaft and disconnect...just because.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online