CV Shaft and Wheel Hub Replacement advice

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
So, I'm 99% sure that the passenger side wheel bearing is shot (technician's report said so when I got tires put on 6 months ago and the noise has just gotten worse since). My passenger side outer CV boot is shot (grease everywhere and it makes noise).

Here's my question:
Since I have to change the wheel hub - do I have to remove anything else in order to replace the CV shaft? I've seen write ups that say you have to disconnect at the upper ball joint. I'd really like to avoid that if possible.
So, will the CV Shaft slide out through the hole left when the wheel hub is removed?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's trivial to remove the bolt that holds the upper ball joint shaft in, then the steering knuckle tilts down and everything gets easier.

Make sure while you're in there that you also carefully inspect the splined disconnect where the CV shaft snaps into, for evidence of a bad seal or damaged bearings. If so, might as well change that out as well, and that will cost more than the bearing and CV shaft together.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks Roadie. I thought you might be the first to respond....

The dealership I used to get my work done at changed out that seal 3 years ago - so I'm hoping it's ok.
I'll start soaking bolts and preparing for the job soon.

Thanks

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Even with the new seal, you could open it up and put some fresh grease in the disco while its easily available

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
You will have to loosen up the UPJ because there isn't enough room to remove the CV half shaft when the hub is removed.

Also make sure to go to Advance Auto or Sears and get a 36mm socket. Do not rent the set from anywhere, they never fit.

And lastly, before you remove the CV, wiggle it in all directions when it's in the AWD Axe disconnect to make sure it's not shot either.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
I pulled both of my shafts a couple of months ago to for another project I'm working on. I've had to change my CV axle on the drivers side so taking it off this time was easy, however the passenger side wasn't.

Here's some advise you might find useful.

- Make sure you loosen the axle nut (35mm factory 36mm replacement, 36mm will work for factory) prior to lifting the vehicle.

- It is possible to take the axle out with out removing the hub, but it is easier and less time consuming

- The bolt for the upper ball joint may be stuck, I backed the nut almost all the way off put my socket at the end of it and hit it with a hammer

- The UCA may also be stuck on the ball joint itself, pry the apart joint where the bolt was and with a few good hits on either side of the UCA it'll come off

- Don't use the factory socket wrench (lug nut removal tool) as pry bar it will shatter like glass, that's what mine did.

- Use a good solid long flat head screw driver and or a pry bar

Hope this Helps. Good Luck

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Easiest way I found to pop the axles out of the diff an/or the disco is to use a long punch or drift and use a hammer on it to hit the axle from behind. Only time I've seen it difficult to get out of the disco was when it was damaged internally.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online