CV half shafts....New Vs Remanufactured..??

davenay67

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
In preparation for replacing the CV half shafts on the wifes TB I have been researching the topic. I see recommendations for new Cardone shafts versus remanufactured Cardone shafts, and who wouldn't new for less than used....right..??

But, the reason I ask is because the pictures on the Rock Auto site show 2 different tripot designs, meaning that the new shafts are a differnet build/design and maybe not as good as original..?? I come from the VW world where new half shafts should be avoided at all costs due to their solid axles and the resulting effect of turning the car into a vibrating jack hammer. On these cars you should ALWAYS get the rebuilt OEM shafts with their hollow axle shafts.

Just wondering if anything like this applied to TB's, or whether I can happily go with new....

Dave. :smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Photos are not always what the part will look like, so I wouldn't put too much faith in those. In the GMT360 world, there is no worry like you found in the VW universe. The new Cardones from Rockauto are (especially using one of their easy-to-locate 5% coupon codes) about the best deals out there.

Slight differences between them and OEM are the Cardones have a slightly softer neoprene rubber boot, which we offroaders value for more flexibility when lifted, since the boots are under more stress. But that's changed recently with a change to the number of convolutions in the boot bellows, and the jury's still out. If you're not lifted, this isn't an important point. The Cardones also come with 36mm end nuts instead of the OEM 35mm, but you can re-use the OEM nuts if you only buy or borrow a 35mm socket when you do the job. Assuming you're a DIY'er.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Last fall I bought a new Cardone shaft for my passenger side. I recently bought another new Cardone shaft for the driver side.

They are different.

Boots are the same design on both, but the older one's tripot is completely round while the new one is shaped similarly to the OEM.

Does it matter? Probably not. I just thought it interesting.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Sparky said:
Last fall I bought a new Cardone shaft for my passenger side. I recently bought another new Cardone shaft for the driver side.

They are different.

Boots are the same design on both, but the older one's tripot is completely round while the new one is shaped similarly to the OEM.

I found the same with mine too, but I bought them both in the same purchase.

davenay67

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
the roadie said:
Photos are not always what the part will look like, so I wouldn't put too much faith in those. In the GMT360 world, there is no worry like you found in the VW universe. The new Cardones from Rockauto are (especially using one of their easy-to-locate 5% coupon codes) about the best deals out there.

Slight differences between them and OEM are the Cardones have a slightly softer neoprene rubber boot, which we offroaders value for more flexibility when lifted, since the boots are under more stress. But that's changed recently with a change to the number of convolutions in the boot bellows, and the jury's still out. If you're not lifted, this isn't an important point. The Cardones also come with 36mm end nuts instead of the OEM 35mm, but you can re-use the OEM nuts if you only buy or borrow a 35mm socket when you do the job. Assuming you're a DIY'er.

Thanks for the info, Roadie..!!

Good to know that the TB is not axle shaft sensitive like my Passat.

I am a DIY'er and the job doesn't worry me. Someone else mentioned that they pryed the innner CV joint away from the oil pan, which I kinda like the idea of doing if it works; I have bad luck with any step that involves hitting something with a big hammer....whatever I am attempting to hit is usually firmly in there and no amount of whacks will get it free.

I also off-road, but in a Jeep TJ....so no CV boots to worry about splitting. :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That was probably me. I used a prybar like this between the base of the tripot and the housing and popped it free. Took a couple of tries since it is round and the bar can slip. A standard crowbar won't work too well because it has too much of a hook. I used this because I suck with a hammer and seem to hit everything but what I'm aiming for lol.

View attachment 18173

Attachments

• bg_PrybarChiselScraperBG_catspawl.jpg
    bg_PrybarChiselScraperBG_catspawl.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 51

davenay67

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Sparky said:
That was probably me. I used a prybar like this between the base of the tripot and the housing and popped it free. Took a couple of tries since it is round and the bar can slip. A standard crowbar won't work too well because it has too much of a hook. I used this because I suck with a hammer and seem to hit everything but what I'm aiming for lol.

View attachment 3146

Very interesting....thanks for the picture.

Did you remove the driver-side, passenger-side, or both..?? Just wondering if any side is easier than the other in terms of access for leverage, whacking, etc....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've done both this way. Driver side was a tad easier because there was more to prop the bar against. The passenger side just has the snout that the axle bearing and seal sit in, so there isn't as much to leverage the bar on. You do want to put a "shock" force on the bar, as an even pressure will be harder and then send you bashing your knuckles and head into the frame and wheel well when it finally pops free -ask me how I know :rotfl:

I'm not saying this is the best way, but it is the way that worked for me.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Driver's side is often easier because it's bathed in diff oil. Passenger side only has caked-on dry and/or dirty factory grease inside the splined disconnect. The kind that can end up looking like Zsa Zsa Gabor's pankake makeup on a bad day.

View attachment 18174

Attachments

• As_I_See_It_Figure1.jpg
    As_I_See_It_Figure1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 46

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
DJones said:
Sparky said:

They are different.

I found the same with mine too, but I bought them both in the same purchase.

Update: my "New" cardone CV axle which has the same design as the OEM, has a ripped boot over the outer tripot. I hope I can get it replaced on warranty.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher