CV Half Shaft

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Figure it would be good to have a section to share our research and findings. Kind of a what works and does not work area.

What seems to be the general consensus from previous discussions...

One main tip it to add clamps to the inside of the boots to prevent them sliding off after lifting.

Many people use the Cardone shafts with good luck.

Seems that replacing the boot only is generally more trouble than just replacing the whole shaft and keeping the old one as a trail spare.

My current issue...
I have had my Cardone boot get a hole in it randomly now. No hole, drive all pavement to work two days and now grease everyone and a hole the size of a pencil. I am not sold on these boots being an upgrade. Never had any issue with stock boots until a 3 inch diameter log tore a hole in one and ripped the hub sensor in half. So rather than just follow the status quo, I was trying to find out if anyone used any other brands of cv shafts with good luck. I found the advance auto new GSP shaft for $45 with a discount code and local pickup.

Any advice or info on shafts that have worked or not worked?

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Would like to bump this thread. I'm checking out rock auto--coming up on 100k miles and want to replace both cv half shafts. Front left one has been slinging grease for quite a while, so I'll change them out along with bearing hubs that need replaced.

RockAuto has Cardones which look fine, but Empi's cost a bit more, and look very high quality in comparison. Any thoughts on these 2 brands against each other?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have two Cardones on my truck, and aside from a design change between the two (purchased several months apart) they both have been working just fine. I think most people here who have replaced their CVs are using the Cardones.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I prefer the factory style rebuilds i foind on ebay to the Cardone ones. I have had better luck w factory boots than the cardone.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Factory style boots are inferior to aftermarket neoprene ones, which seem to be the huge preference over OEM ones. I think that's why everyone goes aftermarket once they fail.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
Factory style boots are inferior to aftermarket neoprene ones, which seem to be the huge preference over OEM ones. I think that's why everyone goes aftermarket once they fail.

From actual experience ...i think the neoprene is inferior.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It should work except for the outer most one in the knuckle.

Rauzer

Feb 26, 2017
Hanover PA
I'm having both of my axle's replaced next week. Should I ask the shop to remove the clamps that come with them and put hose clamps on all of them? I put on Marks 3" front mounts, had an alignment, and both inner boots sprayed grease.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's a question more related to lifts. @HARDTRAILZ would be more able to answer that one.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Hose clamps are much better. IF they just started leaking you could really just put the clamps on.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
You do need to use CV grease before the new clamps if you lost any.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonH

Members Online