CV Boots Throwing Grease

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
My TB is currently having a common problem that I have read about others having experienced.

On each of the front axle, the inner boot is leaking. The boots themselves are in perfect condition; the seals, however, are obviously not doing so good. Some of the grease has sprayed out.

I am keeping it in 2WD mode only, not activating the AWD or 4WD system at all. Will I be OK for a while without rushing into a repair, since the driving power, in 2WD, is being distributed to the rear axle only?

Also, I have read various posts where some guys talk about repacking the grease and somehow tightening the seal without actually removing the axles. Does anyone have good knowledge of whether or not this is a sustainable fix? Or will I just need to pull the axles out? Thanks

Attachments

• SSPX0877.jpg
    SSPX0877.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SSPX0879.jpg
    SSPX0879.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 13

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1) How many miles? That may help decide if you need new ones sooner or later.

2) The CV shafts are ALWAYS spinning no matter what mode you're in. We don't have disconnectable hubs like some 4WD designs. So the boots are always being flexed. The joint mechanically is under less stress with no torque being sent through it, but some differential parts and the CV shafts are always moving.

3) You haven't lost too much grease to worry about. I'd just slap on some big ass hose clamps from the parts store in place of the existing band seals and be done with it. That's what anybody who gets a lift needs to do. A tip of the hat to MrSmithsTB.

View attachment 21773

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 85

TrailblazerLT

Jan 22, 2012
Roadie, how much grease is too much? My boots have been spinning some grease out but it seems to me that it's a lot. Also how would I go about adding more grease?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Would be easy enough when you cut off the original bands, just slide the boot back to add some grease using your hand.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
When the axle is attached, do not cut the factory band. There's too much tension and you run the risk of of the boot coming off... then you're in bigger trouble. The off-road guys remove them, as you can see, his joint is on a bench.

Don't worry about what is out of there, just clamp right over the factory and screw it tight. If/when it does fail, you replace the axle.

You're good to go!

Edit: It's not that I'm an expert, I've been schooled here and sharing the love. :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Robbabob said:
When the axle is attached, do not cut the factory band. There's too much tension and you run the risk of of the boot coming off... then you're in bigger trouble. The off-road guys remove them, as you can see, his joint is on a bench.

I cut mine while still on the truck, even left the wheel on. The boot did pop off, but this allowed me to pack some extra grease in. You are correct that if it does pop off, it sucks. I put the clamp on and tightened it till it had made contact around the entire boot. Wiggled the boot on, and used a nut driver to crank the clamp tight. Took about 20 minutes.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
General consensus here is to leave factory band on i think. Removing makes grease needle easy.
I wonder if just greasing with needle through the boot on the trailblazer and adding the band would be ok. Most likely going to replace shaft soon anyway? Grease It so the hole is at highest point. May go 50 miles or 5000 or ........... Mine was off anyway so no brainer for me

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
SirRobin53 said:
General consensus here is to leave factory band on i think. Removing makes grease needle easy.
I wonder if just greasing with needle through the boot on the trailblazer and adding the band would be ok. Most likely going to replace shaft soon anyway? Grease It so the hole is at highest point. May go 50 miles or 5000 or ........... Mine was off anyway so no brainer for me
I removed it as I was still spraying grease with both on, granted at a much less severe rate than before. Figured f-it and went ahead with removing the OEM band.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online