CV boot...

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
So yea.. Im not a mechanic in the least bit. While a friend was helping me install my sway bar links he looked up and said you need new axles in the front. Something about torn cv boots and grease is slinging around. Wondering is it an axle or a cv joint? Another friend said to just replace the boot itself. Im lost! axles = $180 per side + labor .. boots = $12 per side + labor.

Suggestions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If they're torn, and you're a DIY mechanic, you can put in a new CV shaft (sometimes called a front axle, but CV shaft is more accurate) for only $60 a side.

If you buy them from Rockauto, search here for Cardone to see threads about replacing them.

If the boots aren't torn, they may respond to putting on a 4" hose clamp to seal them back up at the inboard edge.

There are threads here about replacing just the boot. Oh, here's a submitted article: http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-replace-constant-velocity-boot-1393/#post26715

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I'm not an expert in this area but if the CV itself has not been damaged by exposure to the elements then repair is pretty cheap as compared to whole axle. Boot is under $20 but the labor is a LOT more.

Had a Dodge and while doing an oil change notices the boot was ripped. Showed my wife the bill and pointed out the boot was $14 & labor was $120.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Both of my boots were slinging grease around 100K, factory clamps could have been tighter. You could get another clamp but try not to let the boot slide off when swapping clamps...have someone hold the boot while you clamp it. Haven't done the hose clamp trick yet.

romdos

May 4, 2014
The_Roadie said:
If they're torn, and you're a DIY mechanic, you can put in a new CV shaft (sometimes called a front axle, but CV shaft is more accurate) for only $60 a side.

If you buy them from Rockauto, search here for Cardone to see threads about replacing them.
I need to replace the left driveaxle on my 02 TB and can't find anything when searching for driveaxle, or Cardone. I found a thread on the "other" site that talks about having to remove the shocks vs not, and also taking off the oil pan, etc. and I'm totally confused. I have found stuff on replacing the passenger side, but apparently the driver's side is different. Is there a thread that goes over the process for the left side? thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! The sides are almost identical except the passenger side shaft clicks into the splined disconnect, and the driver's side clicks into the differential.

You never have to remove the oil pan for a CV shaft replacement.

The site here isn't indexed well yet after a major forum software upgrade a couple weekends ago. Sorry.

romdos

May 4, 2014
Thanks...I will try to take some pics so there will be a "left" side how-to, or in my case, usually a "how-not-to"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online