SOLVED! CV axle will not budge

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I've watched a couple of videos where they put a pry bar in there to pop it out. I only have it up on stands and I don't have a ton of leverage. I have a crow bar, I have tried levering it out. I saw one video where they put a pry bar in there and hammered on the end of the pry bar. I tried that as well but I don't know if I wasn't able to apply enough force with the hammer because that did not do it either.

Did I use too much force when I was hitting the other end getting it out of the hub?

I should have known it would be difficult, everything leading up to pulling the axle was smooth sailing.

Is there some trick I am missing here?

MBS1994

May 26, 2019
Colorado
I've watched a couple of videos where they put a pry bar in there to pop it out. I only have it up on stands and I don't have a ton of leverage. I have a crow bar, I have tried levering it out. I saw one video where they put a pry bar in there and hammered on the end of the pry bar. I tried that as well but I don't know if I wasn't able to apply enough force with the hammer because that did not do it either.

Did I use too much force when I was hitting the other end getting it out of the hub?

I should have known it would be difficult, everything leading up to pulling the axle was smooth sailing.

Is there some trick I am missing here?
I had a hard time with my passenger for a few hours. I found a video from 1a auto where they put a bar behind the axle and hit it with hammer and that worked for me.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I had a hard time with my passenger for a few hours. I found a video from 1a auto where they put a bar behind the axle and hit it with hammer and that worked for me.
I saw that one too. I tried that but maybe I don't have the room I need to swing and hit it hard enough. I also shook my head at that video where he struggles because he didn't fully remove the steering knuckle.

MBS1994

May 26, 2019
Colorado
I saw that one too. I tried that but maybe I don't have the room I need to swing and hit it hard enough. I also shook my head at that video where he struggles because he didn't fully remove the steering knuckle.
I dont remember on the driver but on the passenger side there is a notch in the bottom of the frame that you can get a pry bar behind the axle

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I dont remember on the driver but on the passenger side there is a notch in the bottom of the frame that you can get a pry bar behind the axle
I can get behind it, I just don't have much room to swing or to lever on it.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
When you pry or hit it, it helps to push the axle in so it isn’t pushing on the retaining clip. Sometimes the little bit of momentum you gain will make the clip release.

Reactions: linneje

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Also, parts stores will usually have CV axle puller attachments for slide hammer kits that make the job possible without getting under the car.

Reactions: Mektek and 6716

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Having someone pull on it while you hit it is fine, as long as you are putting new axles in. Pulling the joints apart can be a nightmare if you plan to put the same one back in.
Also....do not remove BOTH axles at once! Internals shift if both axles are out, and you will be re-building it.
I've had mine in and out 4 times.. I use a ~1 foot chunk of wood 2x4, lengthwise, up against the heavy axle end closest to the case, and hit it with a heavy hammer. Couple hits and it pops right out. I've never had a helper present....
I realize you got yours done...just posting for others.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also....do not remove BOTH axles at once! Internals shift if both axles are out, and you will be re-building it.
Since when? It is a common practice and even necessary to remove both axles for a lot of the different repair jobs on these trucks. Never an issue.

Reactions: Gunner

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - Agreed, there is no issue taking both CV axles out, will not harm a thing. Even if it could, the axle prop shaft (that goes from the diff to the disconnect) is still in place, so it would still be a non-issue.

Reactions: BrianF and Gunner

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Since when? It is a common practice and even necessary to remove both axles for a lot of the different repair jobs on these trucks. Never an issue.
I heard/read that somewhere a while back, and I believed it! So I have never taken both out at once. I have no credible source to quote on that, I just never took the chance... :smile:
Thanks for clearing it up that it is not an issue!

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
know this is an older thread , but throwing my 2 cents in.... i replaced my driver side a year ago with 110k , it was a pain hitting it out with a pry bar. i was going to replace both as i bout the truck used. passenger side wouldnt budge so i left it. my 4wd disconnect went , so it was time to try again. this time i used a slide hammer and axle removing tip. 5-6 good hits and it was out. well worth the $$ especial for driveway work and not having to get underneath

Reactions: Mektek

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Thanks! I've got a couple of slide hammers. I've just never seen the cup. I'll have to try to track one down.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just wrestled with a buddies RH CV shaft, a tie rod/ball joint tool worked. This was before I was ready to remove the disconnect with the CV shaft attached....this one was stubborn.

I rented the kit from Autozone and used this one.

Screenshot_20210306-120018_Gallery.jpg

Kit with the one I used sitting on the foam.

Screenshot_20210306-120036_Gallery.jpg

Not much room to hammer, but a 3lb sledge did the trick.

Screenshot_20210306-115809_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210306-115752_Gallery.jpg

Had a grinding noise, ended up also needing the shaft

Screenshot_20210306-120135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210306-120104_Gallery.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online