SOLVED! CV axle will not budge

I've watched a couple of videos where they put a pry bar in there to pop it out. I only have it up on stands and I don't have a ton of leverage. I have a crow bar, I have tried levering it out. I saw one video where they put a pry bar in there and hammered on the end of the pry bar. I tried that as well but I don't know if I wasn't able to apply enough force with the hammer because that did not do it either.

Did I use too much force when I was hitting the other end getting it out of the hub?

I should have known it would be difficult, everything leading up to pulling the axle was smooth sailing.

Is there some trick I am missing here?

MBS1994

I've watched a couple of videos where they put a pry bar in there to pop it out. I only have it up on stands and I don't have a ton of leverage. I have a crow bar, I have tried levering it out. I saw one video where they put a pry bar in there and hammered on the end of the pry bar. I tried that as well but I don't know if I wasn't able to apply enough force with the hammer because that did not do it either.

Did I use too much force when I was hitting the other end getting it out of the hub?

I should have known it would be difficult, everything leading up to pulling the axle was smooth sailing.

Is there some trick I am missing here?
I had a hard time with my passenger for a few hours. I found a video from 1a auto where they put a bar behind the axle and hit it with hammer and that worked for me.

OP

I had a hard time with my passenger for a few hours. I found a video from 1a auto where they put a bar behind the axle and hit it with hammer and that worked for me.
I saw that one too. I tried that but maybe I don't have the room I need to swing and hit it hard enough. I also shook my head at that video where he struggles because he didn't fully remove the steering knuckle.

MBS1994

I saw that one too. I tried that but maybe I don't have the room I need to swing and hit it hard enough. I also shook my head at that video where he struggles because he didn't fully remove the steering knuckle.
I dont remember on the driver but on the passenger side there is a notch in the bottom of the frame that you can get a pry bar behind the axle

OP

I dont remember on the driver but on the passenger side there is a notch in the bottom of the frame that you can get a pry bar behind the axle
I can get behind it, I just don't have much room to swing or to lever on it.

m.mcmillen

Gold Supporter
When you pry or hit it, it helps to push the axle in so it isn’t pushing on the retaining clip. Sometimes the little bit of momentum you gain will make the clip release.

Stugar

Also, parts stores will usually have CV axle puller attachments for slide hammer kits that make the job possible without getting under the car.

KEEBZ489

2nd that on the slide bar. almost 3 mins of hammering 1 day i gave up and put everything back together , ordered the puller and 3 whacks and it was out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crystallee
Top Bottom