Cv axle removal

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Is it better to use steel or brass punch to tap these off. I wounder if even a 2x4 would work. Might absorb too much though.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Brass is recommended to absorb a bit of the shock to avoid shattering the tripot joint cup that you're banging on. But I use a short length of steel rebar and never had a problem. Wood will likely absorb enough of the force to fail, but I've heard of some folks using a 2X2 successfully. The issue is the size of the sledge you use. I haven't been able to succeed all the time with a 3 lb hand sledge, and have resorted to starting off with a long handled 5 pounder lately. That's a two person project.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have a 5 lb sledge that has had the handle "modified" to turn it into a one hand sledge. I have used that and my pickle fork with out any issues.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have used a prybar and just popped them out. No beating required.

PonokaTB

Dec 27, 2011
I just did mine last week, with a 16 once hammer and 2 feet of 1/2 inch steel pipe. Popped right out.

Dillyo82

Aug 17, 2012
Would the whole Wheel Assembly and Shock mount etc need to come off to remove the inner Drive Shaft? Looking into Motor Mount Replacement and saw that Roadie removed the Inner Drive Shaft to clear the Frame so he could raise the Engine more, but would like to try to remove the Lower Brackets to the Mounts instead if it's easier. I will avoid removing the Wheel Assembly and Shock mount etc. at all costs. Don't ever want to do that again.

Dillyo82

Aug 17, 2012
I tried doing the Motor Mount job last weekend, but picked up the wrong tool for the Fan Removal and had to stop until tomorrow.

What will have to come off of the wheel assbly. for me to have to pull the axle out of the Case?

Would I need a Coil spring compressor tool to remove the coil assbly so I can remove my Lower Motor Mount bracket bolts?

Also, I am going to make the tool that I got work to remove the Fan. It is a regular thread that loosens to the Left correct?
Any Penetrating oil, Heat, other Tricks to get it off. It's stuck on pretty good.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Dillyo, you might want to start a separate thread for your motor mount replacement to keep this thread clean.

Dillyo82

Aug 17, 2012
navigator said:
Dillyo, you might want to start a separate thread for your motor mount replacement to keep this thread clean.

I was trying to get someones response since nobody answered my last post for a couple weeks. I'm also in another Thread talking about the Motor Mounts as well, just trying to spread out the posts to get the most feedback as I need info before tomorrow. My 2nd attempt at replacing the motor mounts which require removing the CV axles as said by Roadie.

lawless27

Dec 27, 2012
was wondering if anyone had pictures or how to's on the drivers side CV axle removal:confused:? im sure its not all to bad but are there any tricks or tips? i wanna make this quick and painless as i will be doing it in northeast ohio outside in february (14 degrees windchill making it -10:frown:). or if i overlooked a forum can ya point me to the link? thanks!

Dillyo82

Aug 17, 2012
lawless27 said:
was wondering if anyone had pictures or how to's on the drivers side CV axle removal:confused:? im sure its not all to bad but are there any tricks or tips? i wanna make this quick and painless as i will be doing it in northeast ohio outside in february (14 degrees windchill making it -10:frown:). or if i overlooked a forum can ya point me to the link? thanks!

Never did this, but...There was a loan-a-tool slide hammer type axle removal tool that I borrowed from AutoZone when I did my Motor Mounts. I didn't have to remove the axles thankfully, but this seems like the way to go, at least at first...Especially because there is no hitting on the Tripot housing (as the manual says) that could cause damage. I just don't know if this would cause any damage to the internals by doing this.

That's all I got.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.