CV Axle removal - oops?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
While I was doing Lower Control Arms and Tie Rods today, I figured I'd do the drivers side differential seal as it's been seeping a bit.

I tried using a pry bar and then a slide hammer to removed the CV axle, no luck! Then I crawled under the front and used the pound with a drift method in the service manual. Good news, it popped off pretty easily once I found the right angle.

Bad news, I took a swipe or two at the plastic section that the bellows attaches too. It popped the bellows out from under the clamp and 'dented' the plastic a bit. I was able to get the bellows back under the clamp and after cleaning everything up I can't see any grease seepage.

So, question is, am I good to go or should I be thinking about a new half shaft?

On the plus side, I've got the passengers side torn down, taking a break before reassembly. No sign of leaks on that side!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
The boots seem to be pretty easy to pop off. I've read that the lifted guys use the screw-style hose clamps to put them back on if they pop loose/replace the factory clamp with hose clamps to keep them from popping loose.

You might not see grease dripping out with it just sitting there but it might get interesting once centrifugal force takes over as you drive.

Should you replace the axle? Maybe, but first I'd try the hose clamp fix. Sounds like the factory clamps are really loose if you could just slip the boot back in.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
I'd do as above and put on a new clamp for good measure. If the boot isn't ripped you have nothing to worry about. It's more to keep water and debris out than it is to keep grease in. My boots been ripped (completely, it's mangled and hanging) since last fall. I'm waiting for signs of failure before replacing the joint and it's still going solid even after a salty Canadian winter. These things can go for a long time even after they start making noise. New clamp, keep an eye on it, and drink a beer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online