CV axle problem

tim mc

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
So I am new to the forum, great info and very informative.

I just purchased a 2002 Trailblazer is great condition and doing some work to replace worn parts. I am in the process of replacing the front struts with Monroe Quick Strut assemblies and everything was going great on the passenger side, until the hub and rotor slipped off the support I was using. The lower control arm dropped all the way down and the hub and rotor flopped outboard, pulling the inner axle shaft, boot and (tripod?) from the housing. The boot doesn't appear to be damaged at all, boot clamp still attached to the boot. I have zero experience in this area and have no idea what to do at this point. I've poked around and see threads on replacing the whole axle assy, but nothing on putting the axle back into the tripod housing. Does the yoke just slip back into the housing then replace the boot clamp? Like I said, no idea...

Thanks much.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It should go back together. That inner structure is a slip joint so the shaft can change length a small amount when the suspension cycles up and down. You should replace the clamp band with a screw type like a dryer hose vent clamp to make sure it will stay on tightly.

tim mc

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
the roadie said:
It should go back together. That inner structure is a slip joint so the shaft can change length a small amount when the suspension cycles up and down. You should replace the clamp band with a screw type like a dryer hose vent clamp to make sure it will stay on tightly.

Good news. I slipped it back in and added more grease, put a band clamp around the boot and should be good to go.

Thanks for the help roadie!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online