CV axle is out....now what?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hi guys, I'm helping my friend with a leaking driver side axle. He has an 03 TB 4.2, 4x4. I did some searching and read a few posts. It started leaking and making a grinding noise. So we took the axle out this morning. We believe the noise was the wheel bearing, it's shot. So we're thinking all we need to change axle is the seal. The axle outer bearing looks okay and no metal in the fluid, but we only got about a half liter out. When we called to order the seal he asked if we need an inner seal or outer seal. We don't know but we're guessing just the outer, I'm downloading Mooseman's 03 manual to look but it's a big file and taking a long time to load. We can't even see an inside seal. Is it more than likely just the outside seal we need to change?

chethro

Jun 15, 2013
When my front diff was leaking on the drivers side I changed the outer seal. I had to get the part from GM. The NAPA seal was not right.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
The outer seal is the one you want.

The inner seal is for the intermediate shaft that runs through the oil pan to the passenger side.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
chethro said:
When my front diff was leaking on the drivers side I changed the outer seal. I had to get the part from GM. The NAPA seal was not right.

AtlWrk said:
The outer seal is the one you want.

The inner seal is for the intermediate shaft that runs through the oil pan to the passenger side.

Thanks guys, we just got back and bought the outer seal, lol, we got it from NAPA. I hope it works okay. What wasn't right about the NAPA seal you had? We just pulled the old seal out and noticed some metal shavings in some oil that was between the seal and the bearing, is this a concern? We didn't notice any metal when we drained the oil...

edit: the NAPA seal is too small, gonna order the GM one. I think part of the old seal stayed in, looks like a washer with square cut outs all around. Might have to go get my camera to show what it looks like...

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Okay, I went to get the camera. Here is how the bearing looks after we got it out with this seal puller. Whats that washer looking thing with cut outs still in the diff? We also ran some oil through the diff and see some small super fine shavings in it, it that normal.

Attachments

• DSC03409.jpg
    DSC03409.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC03410.jpg
    DSC03410.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03411.jpg
    DSC03411.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03412.jpg
    DSC03412.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC03413.jpg
    DSC03413.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6

chethro

Jun 15, 2013
Looks like all you need to do is drive in your new seal. Make sure the seal race is clean. If memory serves, you have all the seal out.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
What you're seeing inside the diff is a preload adjustment nut for the carrier bearing. Nothing you need to mess with. Without seeing the shavings it's hard to make a judgement call. Some metal is normal wear and tear and will look almost like metal dust. Take a real good look/feel at the bearing for signs of scoring, pitting or grittiness on the rollers. Also look at the CV axle journal for the same. Barring any obvious signs of damage it's likely nothing.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
AtlWrk said:
What you're seeing inside the diff is a preload adjustment nut for the carrier bearing. Nothing you need to mess with. Without seeing the shavings it's hard to make a judgement call. Some metal is normal wear and tear and will look almost like metal dust. Take a real good look/feel at the bearing for signs of scoring, pitting or grittiness on the rollers. Also look at the CV axle journal for the same. Barring any obvious signs of damage it's likely nothing.

Ya, it's more like fine metal dust no chunks. Maybe just wear while the fluid was going low. Bearing looks n feels good. We'll go ahead and put the seal in. Then ball joints and hub replacement. Turned into a bigger job than we thought.

Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online