Custom dashboard button or GMC option?

alan2112drums

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I'm considering buying this 2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 5.3L V8 XUV and importing it from the USA into Canada but there must be no modifications in order for the vehicle to pass inspection.
What is the button to the left of the HVAC controls? I've never seen it before but I have seen a similar button on the center console to the left of the transmission shifter.
Thanks
dash button.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That looks like an add-on aftermarket switch. Does it turn on anything? Certainly not stock, that's for sure.

Good luck with the import. It's a real PITA now with the US' requirements to have a dealer with a license do the paperwork and the 10 day wait (IIRC).

alan2112drums

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Have you seen mods that use a button like this?

The import process is a pain but it's only a 72 hour (3 day) wait. The USA requires the vehicle be exported by an import/export brokerage to create and submit the paperwork to CBP. The Canadian import agency (RIV) recommends Auto Exports US and they charge $75 so it's not that bad. RIV charges over $300 so that's the real pain!
Also, if the vehicle is exactly 15 years old or more, it does not have to go thru the import process. When I find an XUV that looks promising, I ask the seller to send me a photo of the manufacturers sticker on the driver door jamb so I can see the build date because if built before May 2004, it would save me about $500.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a common aftermarket switch that can be used for just about anything. I can't see how this could make it fail either the RIV inspection or a safety. At worse, just remove it and whatever it powers. Probably it's for some lights or something simple like that.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a similar one by my headlights i use for my led bumper lights

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online