Custom Billet cam cores for GM 4.2L (Vortec 4200)

CamKing

Original poster
Sep 12, 2022
rush2112
I run Jones Cam Designs in Denver, NC.
I have a long time customer who uses the 4.2L in his dragster.
He wants us to make billet tool steel cam cores for his engine, but the cost to make just one or two sets is pretty high.
To help him out, I thought I would ask around, and see if there's anyone else that would be in the market for these cam cores. The more we make, the lower the price.
The great part about using tool steel for the cores, is that it can be thru-hardened, so it's the same hardness all the way through, and you never have to worry about grinding through the heat treat. We would rough the lobe shape in with an over-sized profile, so it could be ground for anything from mild street performance, to all-out racing.
We could finish grind the cams to meet your performance needs, or you could send them to any cam company you like, and they could finish them.

If this is something you would be interested in, please email me at tech@jonescams.com

Thanks,
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

It might seem a bit discouraging that there is a dearth of response to your interesting offer, but this is because there are so few "Off The Shelf" Combos that would interest the Average "LS Hot-Rodder" vs. the Re-Doubtable Power that a Stock GM 4.2L LL8 Engine produces.

But don't despair... If I may suggest that you visit THIS Link and watch "Richard" over at WESTECH PERFORMANCE GROUP making an "Apples to Oranges" Comparison between a "Stock-Then-Modified & Supercharged" 4.3L Vortec V6 Motor vs. a "Stock-Then-Turbo-Charged" 2005 GM 4.2L In-Line Six Cylinder Motor... with some remarkable performance gains for BOTH Motors, but with the LL8 Engine far surpassing the 'Lil V6' when all was said and done:

The reason I am thrashing all of this out in Your Thread is because... RICHARD HOLDENER IS IN LOVE WITH HIS IDEA OF THE AMERI-BARRA MOTORS...!!!

If ANYONE can draw National Attention to your GM 4.2L Billet Steel Camshaft Blanks Offer... HE would be the ONE MAN who's eyes will roll back in his head if he can advance the HP Level of the LL8 Engine in any way. So you might consider making One On One contact with him HERE with Your Offer:

Hope This Helps...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online