Cruise control ?????

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
How can I find out if there is one on the engine ?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Check the RPO tag in your glove box for K34. If it is present, your vehicle was factory equipped with cruise.

Due to the drive by wire setup, it is controlled via the PCM directly instead of a separate module that is commonly found in cable driven throttle bodies.... The RPO code is the sure fire way to check.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Not sure what your looking for, but the CC is controlled by the PCM.

There's no linkage connected to the throttle body (it's drive-by-wire). It's controlled by a stepper motor or servo (not sure what it's called) in the t-body.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
kardain said:
Check the RPO tag in your glove box for K34. If it is present, your vehicle was factory equipped with cruise.

Due to the drive by wire setup, it is controlled via the PCM directly instead of a separate module that is commonly found in cable driven throttle bodies.... The RPO code is the sure fire way to check.

Okay going to the glovebox now where exactly is the code ??

aefe346f-250f-2f5b.jpg

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
The codes are in alpha numeric order, left to right....

It would be between JJ8 (or JJB, hard to tell) and KG4

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It would be between the KG4 and the LL8.

Looks like you don't have it.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
It would be between the KG and the LL8.

^^thats what I meant :wink:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The lack of control switches on the multifunction stalk is usually a huge clue. No CC switches, it's not installed. But the PCM is always active just waiting for somebody to install a multifunction switch. GM# 12450067 (AC Delco# D6299A) or various aftermarket replacements at your local parts store. Or Rockauto - choices available from $78-116. Plug and play.

ACDELCO Part # D6299A
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S3494
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CBS1149
OE PRO Part # SM299A (Beware - CCC)

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
The lack of control switches on the multifunction stalk is usually a huge clue. No CC switches, it's not installed. But the PCM is always active just waiting for somebody to install a multifunction switch. GM# 12450067 (AC Delco# D6299A) or various aftermarket replacements at your local parts store. Or Rockauto - choices available from $78-116. Plug and play.

ACDELCO Part # D6299A
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S3494
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CBS1149
OE PRO Part # SM299A (Beware - CCC)

Excuse my ignorance, soo if I bought a switch and installed it cruise wont work right ?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
No. CC is one of the rare options that GM didn't lock you out of if you didn't buy it with the vehicle. It's been reported (I bought mine with CC, so I have no first hand experience) that you buy the new multifunction stalk, plug it into the harness that's already there, and viola! It works. If you have the $100 for the switch stalk.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Since our trucks are all DBW and use the same PCM (and OS), just adding the turn signal stalk/multifunction switch will enable cruise. Buy a new/used one online, pull the steering column apart, remove the original stalk, install new stalk, put column back together, and go use cruise.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
No. CC is one of the rare options that GM didn't lock you out of if you didn't buy it with the vehicle. It's been reported (I bought mine with CC, so I have no first hand experience) that you buy the new multifunction stalk, plug it into the harness that's already there, and viola! It works. If you have the $100 for the switch stalk.

ScarabEpic22 said:
Since our trucks are all DBW and use the same PCM (and OS), just adding the turn signal stalk/multifunction switch will enable cruise. Buy a new/used one online, pull the steering column apart, remove the original stalk, install new stalk, put column back together, and go use cruise.

Ok so I am going to buy the switch and cruise will work ?
Sorry for the weird questions I am car illiterate

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ghost said:
Ok so I am going to buy the switch and cruise will work ?
Sorry for the weird questions I am car illiterate
Please do not get the switch because I'm not sure we can handle the questions you're going to have on installing it. You can figure out multi-posting (a trick many folks never manage), but you can't handle multiple answers saying it's OK and just go ahead and DO IT? :lipsrsealed:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
Please do not get the switch because I'm not sure we can handle the questions you're going to have on installing it. You can figure out multi-posting (a trick many folks never manage), but you can't handle multiple answers saying it's OK and just go ahead and DO IT? :lipsrsealed:

All I have to do is install the switch that shouldn't be too difficult

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I installed it in mine, (base, base model with no options for a fleet vehicle). Paid $96 shipped for a new stalk, took about an hour to install. That is with no prior diagrams etc. I did break a piece of the column bezel with my attempt. Fixed and now everyone knows.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I installed it in mine, (base, base model with no options for a fleet vehicle). Paid $96 shipped for a new stalk, took about an hour to install. That is with no prior diagrams etc. I did break a piece of the column bezel with my attempt. Fixed and now everyone knows.

Cool ! Iv had the whole dash apart before to clean a mess up and install a VHF radio so shouldn't be a problem for me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dammit! I wish I would have known this when we bought our new '08 Montana. It didn't have cruise and the dealer charged me $600 to install it :hissyfit:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Ghost said:
Cool ! Iv had the whole dash apart before to clean a mess up and install a VHF radio so shouldn't be a problem for me.

It is a bit more than just taking the dash apart, I am not sure what size or head style the bolt is that is inside of the column cover. One of the times I neglected to do research.

Mooseman said:
Dammit! I wish I would have known this when we bought our new '08 Montana. It didn't have cruise and the dealer charged me $600 to install it :hissyfit:

2 screws and a plug man.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:

Cruise Control is just one of those things that should be standard on all vehicles. I would think the EPA would be all on that chit. :crazy:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I ordered my CC switch last night. Do I need to disconnect the battery when removing and installing the new one ? Looks like its just the kickpanel , and steering goosneck plastic covers to replace the switch easier than bakeing a cake:thumbup:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ghost said:
I ordered my CC switch last night. Do I need to disconnect the battery when removing and installing the new one ? Looks like its just the kickpanel , and steering goosneck plastic covers to replace the switch easier than bakeing a cake:thumbup:

I wouldn't think so. No programming involved since it's just a switch. The effect would be the same as never having used your cruise control since it was new.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Mooseman said:
I wouldn't think so. No programming involved since it's just a switch. The effect would be the same as never having used your cruise control since it was new.

Last question its safe to assume my manual doesn't talk about using cruise...and the cruise sure looks dif than my other vehicles...so...ah ill just google how to use it haha:thumbdown::o

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Ghost said:
Last question its safe to assume my manual doesn't talk about using cruise...and the cruise sure looks dif than my other vehicles...so...ah ill just google how to use it haha:thumbdown::o

The owners manual tells you how to use the cruise control, and that cruise control in our vehicles has been the same in every chevy for the past 20 years...

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I actually prefer the cruise on the stalk on the left over having buttons on the steering wheel. I can operate it without having to look, all within easy reach without having to move my hand off the wheel. Cruise buttons in the center can be operated by memory, but for me it always takes longer as I have to feel my way across the buttons to find my spot and even then I'd mis-press on occasion.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Sparky said:
I actually prefer the cruise on the stalk on the left over having buttons on the steering wheel. I can operate it without having to look, all within easy reach without having to move my hand off the wheel. Cruise buttons in the center can be operated by memory, but for me it always takes longer as I have to feel my way across the buttons to find my spot and even then I'd mis-press on occasion.

Everyone has there own preferences but I would much rather have it on the steering wheel much easier to use. Also hate that there is no cancel function you have to hit the brakes to shut it off instead of tapping a button on the steering wheel.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
There is one flaw with any steering wheel mounted controls that newer Ferrari owners are very familiar with. As you turn the wheel, the buttons move. So the button that was on the left is now on the right and upside-down... Yep...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
With the stalk cruise control you just slide the switch down. Takes very little effort.

As for the battery I leave it connected when I work on anything (bad practice). Might not be necessary but may be a good idea.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
McGMT said:
There is one flaw with any steering wheel mounted controls that newer Ferrari owners are very familiar with. As you turn the wheel, the buttons move. So the button that was on the left is now on the right and upside-down... Yep...

If I had a Ferrari last thing ill be using is cruise control :thumbup:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
How come there's no screws on the plastic covers of the gooseneck where the cruise goes ? Maybe I can find some at ace hardware so after the install the case stays on.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Ignore my post above this one. Figured it out just waiting on the UPS man to deliver my $40 new cc switch:thumbup:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Cost me $40.00 shipped. :thumbup:
vumynepe.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even came with instructions? Sweet!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members