Cruise control pulsing

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Don't do a lot of highway driving so just noticed this tonight. Cruise works fine but when it's attempting to maintain speed on a decline I can feel a pulsing. It's not violent but it's enough I notice. RPM's appear steady as far as I can tell from the gauge. No codes. Throttle body removed and cleaned only a few months ago.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could just be the torque converter clutch disengaging and re-engaging if the throttle is being let off due to increased speed. Could just be the inability of the cruise control to maintain proper speed going downhill.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This has been discussed before. I don't remember if anything was explained, but it's not unusual.

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
DAlastDON said:
Like engine braking?
Less smooth... more like someone tapping the brakes repeatedly to watch a sleeping passenger's head bob (not that I've done that :rotfl: )

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
stickypoop said:
Less smooth... more like someone tapping the brakes repeatedly to watch a sleeping passenger's head bob (not that I've done that :rotfl: )
Lol! I remember seeing another tread on this. If I remember its just the way these trucks are, kinda aggressive imho. Seems the cruise will keep your speed at all cost lol. Mine does it too

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I only started noticing mine after the tune. It's engine braking basically, atleast that's what it feels like.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a poor programming job in the cruise control part of the pcm software. If I could find the goofball who never took a test ride after writing the code, I'd rub their nose in it. Proof that GM fails to listen to customer complaints.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
It happens on mine too. It's always been there. I know exactly the few hills it happens on, and now I expect it. Only does it at highway speeds, not below 55.

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
Here you go pal:

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/11287-buckingchugging-not-hard-on-cruise-control-downhill-around-70mph-2004-chevy-trailblazer-lt/

As you know, people have been talking about the PCM. I had mine checked and it was already updated.

I replaced the fuel regulator.

I clamped down the tube the goes from the air box to the crankshaft vent on both sides with some hose clamps and put new rubber boots on the line that ran from the airbox to the fuel regulator. The boots were completely bad. They were rock hard and loose fitting. The tube was loose fitting too.

Be careful clamping hoses to plastic, do not want to crack them.

I had the problem again last week and the boots that connect the plastic tube to the fuel regulator went bad in 1 year. I replaced them again and am looking for a better solution to replace the vacuum line between the fuel regulator and intake box now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.