NEED HELP Crimestopper Remote Starter Installation

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Can anyone advise on installation of a Crimestopper RS4-G5 remote start along with Fortin INT-SL+ bypass module. I have looked over the wiring for both and the bypass module looks pretty straight forward however Crimestopper wiring is somewhat confusing as to what exactly needs to be connected when using the data connection. Crimestopper was very vague on any advise. Was hoping someone could lend some advise.

Thanks in advance.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This is the exact model I have. The Intsl needs obd, tach, and something else. The crime stopper has the hood pin, brake pedal, ignition wires and I think that's it? Somewhere on here is how I did it I think but my paper is long gone. I'll see if I can find out what's what.

Edit: tach and door trigger from fortin go to crimestopper. Then it's just like normal ignition and ground and stuff. I think it was 14 all told.

Last edited:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Yep. That thread helped me immensely. If you're technical minded, it'll all start making sense once you get under there and start testing wires. It helped me to set all the wire harnesses that came with the kit on the table and label where each wire needed to go (ie. 12V constant, Ignition, ACC) so I only had to figure out where it needed to connect to once I was under the dash.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Yep. That thread helped me immensely. If you're technical minded, it'll all start making sense once you get under there and start testing wires. It helped me to set all the wire harnesses that came with the kit on the table and label where each wire needed to go (ie. 12V constant, Ignition, ACC) so I only had to figure out where it needed to connect to once I was under the dash.
That works good, I usually do a full drawing of the remote start and bypass wiring and then label all the wiring colors. I used to have a bunch of pictures if the install somewhere, not sure if I saved them. I think they were initially from a post on trailvoy from MAY03LT i think.

This site has all the pictures I used but uses the wire to wire method, not the data link. You can see all the connections you need to make. I can't remember if any of the colors were different for the 2008-2009 series tho. I think they were all the same.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=130514
If you have 4x4 you will need acc2 connected which most remote starts do not have. You will need to add a relay to energize that circuit.

Last edited:

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Thank you everyone for the responses.
I have done remote start installs in the past but this is the first using the data link connection. Where I'm confused is with the connections needed from the remote starter to the vehicle. What needs to be connected and what does not that will receive it's signal from the bypass module thru data link, door locks, park lights, hvac etc.

Thanks for a great site !

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I forget which acc I connected but I have no windshield wipers while on remote start. I don't get any lights or anything though even with the 4wd. The envoy did so I used a relay.

Edit:
Lights and door lock are taken care of through data link as well as the horn iirc. Only thing the module needs is to start the car and a few signal wires. If you're willing to wait a couple days I could pull mine out and see what's what. Probably sometime friday.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Brake input, hood pin, IGN 1, ign 2, accessory1, accessory2, park lights and batt +,&-. That's it for the starter module.

Maybe horn, can't remember if I hooked it up or not

Last edited:

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I forget which acc I connected but I have no windshield wipers while on remote start. I don't get any lights or anything though even with the 4wd. The envoy did so I used a relay.

Edit:
Lights and door lock are taken care of through data link as well as the horn iirc. Only thing the module needs is to start the car and a few signal wires. If you're willing to wait a couple days I could pull mine out and see what's what. Probably sometime friday.
Thank you Sir
I'm not in a hurry, just gathering information so I can connect the module to the remote starter on the bench to cut down on under dashboard time..lol
Winter has also returned to WV for the next couple of days.
Thanks a million!

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
So looking everything over today I see the largest disagreement seems to be with the ACC 2 connection, add relay don't add relay. I can not find what is actually powered by the Brown ACC 2. AllData shows it as circuit #4 Connector #201 Pin #B6 but no description as to all that it powers. So if adding the relay and using the ACC 1 as the control, what's everyone's thought for using one of the red or red/white (+) as the power source ? It is what supplies the current in the normal operation so I would think that would be OK.
Thoughts.. Pro /Con

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So looking everything over today I see the largest disagreement seems to be with the ACC 2 connection, add relay don't add relay. I can not find what is actually powered by the Brown ACC 2. AllData shows it as circuit #4 Connector #201 Pin #B6 but no description as to all that it powers. So if adding the relay and using the ACC 1 as the control, what's everyone's thought for using one of the red or red/white (+) as the power source ? It is what supplies the current in the normal operation so I would think that would be OK.
Thoughts.. Pro /Con
Hook it up without it. If everything works fine and you get no cel leave it. If you get lights then I'd say install it. Seeing as you have an envoy though I would install it. It should control 4wd partially and wipers. You will get a service 4wd light when you remote start without it like I did on our voy.

P.S. I haven't crawled under the dash to check the wires yet. It's been windy and cold with a real feel close to 18. Tomorrow is supposed to be decent though. I didn't forget

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Update ! Finally took the time to install the remote starter. Everything went perfect ! I did ad the extra ACC 2 relay, everything functions no CEL not low enough temperatures to see if the heated seats and rear defroster works yet but that's just around the corner. Only problem is with memory recall with using the remote starter transmitter, it defaults to driver 2 on unlock. Contracted Fortin and they advised it was controlled via Data Link of the vehicle and no other help was offered. Contacted Crime Stopper who advised it was controlled by the Data Link interface and contact Fortin lol. My thoughts are something has to distinguish the Crime Stopper remotes as one and two, just like original remotes. Has anyone encountered this ? If so how was it corrected ? I may try and reprogram the Crime Stopper remotes like GM remotes via BCM and see if that works. Thanks for all the input on the install.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.