FEEDBACK Creating a Library of Proven Training & Parts Description Videos

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
We all know from checking on Youtube for "How-To" Videos from 'Eric The Car Guy' and 'Scotty Kilmer' that their help has come in very handy for all of us "Visual Learners" on many occasions where only a video will do. I was wondering if there could be Two New Video Categories added to the GMT Nation Main menu that would cover two specific topics that deal exclusively with our GM Platforms. These would strictly involve a raft of Videos that must first pass muster with the Administrators and Mods after submission are offered for consideration for their Instructional and Training Values. It is not heretical to say that it is inefficient to keep 'Plowing the Same Field' if all of the Good Stuff has already been Tagged and Bagged for Viewing.

There could be a limit set to the number of videos allowed that cover any specific Mechanical Fixes and Parts Viewing and Descriptions for Appearance/Make/Model Numbers, etc. I cannot think of anything that would make GMT Nation more attractive to people searching the World Wide Web for help on repairing their vehicles and finding all of that information easily available and consolidated under One GMT Nation Roof.

These would need a bit of categorizing of the separation of sub-topics and a bit of watching out to weed out the Wheat from the Chaff and prevent there being say for example...'50 Videos "How To Clean The 'FILL IN THE PART'. The value of having this information would be to enormously reduce the amount of time it takes and the difficulty and uncertainly involved with trying the 'Hit or Miss' efforts necessary to find one, specific subject covered in a group of Videos that presently may literally be mixed in with tens of thousands of other Text Posts here at GMT Nation. People are often impatient with such things and will stop searching for things if the processes fail to show up with the product in short order.

Here is an Example Video of what these might look like to our Membership:

This is a Parts Description “Un-Boxing” Video of the Rear Main Seal Cover for the 2006 GM 4.2L LL8 Engine showing a side by side comparison of this New RockAuto Purchase against a GM Stock RMS removed from a 2004 4.2L Engine:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r,4.2l+l6,1432188,engine,crankshaft+seal,5604

Last edited:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
This is great video by South Main Auto on youtube. The title of the video is '14 Chevy Impala - Battery dies Overnight - part 1. Mr. O is chasing "parasitic current draw". It seems like most of us have at one time or another chased this problem, so this is a good video for locating the problem.

I didn't know one could test voltage drop through a fuse to see if current was going throught the fuse. Around 20 years ago I purchased a DC amp meter for chasing parasitic draws, but Mr. O's way of looking for them seems a lot better and cheaper. An inexpensive digital volt meter is all one needs!

I was unsure where to post this video, so mods feel free to relocate it :yes:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Interesting idea. Since we already have a number of FAQ Threads like this one... I would lean more towards editing them, and inserting relevant videos in the lists, or something like that.

To keep the initial length of the posts from exploding due to the increased real estate, use the spoiler tags with titles to hide the videos from view until clicked on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I agree. This would definitely work in the FAQ threads. This is the full list if FAQs:

FAQ Threads

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online