Creaking brakes when stopped

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I noticed today the front left brakes creak when sitting still. Press firmly on the brake pedal and it creaks. Release and it creaks again.

Take apart, clean, and lube the best action?

Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's where I would start.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
So I have taken the thin pad guides out and it creaks. I lubed the caliper bolts and actually tried it with them out and it creaks. I losened the caliper bracket bolts and it creaks. I'm not sure what else to do...

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I haven something similar on mine. I got plenty of meat left on the pads. Rotors got grooves so i dont know if i should get them turned or say hell with it and buy new rotors. I got a 114k miles. My guide pins are greased too.

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
Mine has been doing that also , ive had the pins lubed and pads greased and it still creaks i think it might be the caliper itself

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I took off the drivers side caliper and rotor to find out the backside of the rotor has about 4-5 pits or gouges. Probably too deep to have removed if i had them turned so i bought one of the advance auto $40 rotors (minus $10 code). Hopfully that will take care of my squeaks. So you might have similar with the pits on the rotor.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
well it wasnt the rotor. so i guess these duralast pads are it. not sure what else it could be. sounds like wear indicators when applying the brakes.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
I know you said that you "lubed the caliper bolts", but the only thing that actually moves when applying the brakes is the caliper sliding along the bolts to pull the pads inward. I'd double check everything in that area.

Oh, and try spraying a little wd40 around the caliper piston where it enters the caliper body.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
My old brakes did the same creaking at a stop. I replaced the pads (Wagner thermo quiet) with wear ever platinum ceramics and the noise is gone. The pads came with shims and anti rattle clips and I put them in. The noise could have been the old anti rattle clips, shims or pads. Just found out that those stainless pieces need to be replaced each and every time the pads are replaced. Could possibly have been the problem.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
i used some 3in1 oil and let it slide down around both caliper pistons. mine sound like wear indicators do when you have no pads left but i have plenty of pads and only sound when applying the brakes. I bought the autozone duralast pads so i wonder if they'll credit me some for a new set?>

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Rubberman said:
i used some 3in1 oil and let it slide down around both caliper pistons. mine sound like wear indicators do when you have no pads left but i have plenty of pads and only sound when applying the brakes. I bought the autozone duralast pads so i wonder if they'll credit me some for a new set?>

Make sure the new pads come with shims and anti rattle clips

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
So I have taken the thin pad guides out and it creaks. I lubed the caliper bolts and actually tried it with them out and it creaks. I losened the caliper bracket bolts and it creaks. I'm not sure what else to do...

I have had creaky brakes in the past, it drives you crazy doesn't it! Very annoying. You can put small amounts of grease anywhere metal rubs on metal to solve this. ie where the brake pad metal ends run along the calipers. On the calipers where the clips sit, where the pad ends move, etc. On the backs of the brake pads where the calipers push. There are only so many places that can make noise. No grease on the pad itself or rotor surface! Obvious I know.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Rubberman said:

No. The shims are the weird looking stainless pieces that both ends of the pad slide along. The shims attach to the bracket. If you put grease on these shims or on the back of the insulator on the pads its just going to attract dirt. Put grease on slide pins only.)

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
JerryIrons said:
I have had creaky brakes in the past, it drives you crazy doesn't it! Very annoying. You can put small amounts of grease anywhere metal rubs on metal to solve this. ie where the brake pad metal ends run along the calipers. On the calipers where the clips sit, where the pad ends move, etc. On the backs of the brake pads where the calipers push. There are only so many places that can make noise. No grease on the pad itself or rotor surface! Obvious I know.

I was able to make the creak stop. i swapped the pads from inside to outside and it is quiet. I know this is not ideal but they are working fine even pulling a trailer.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I did the same by swapping pads and made no difference

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
After checking the new rotor today there is a freshly made line/groove. I'm on the iPhone or I would post the picture. Definitely something in middle of the pad.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Rubberman said:
After checking the new rotor today there is a freshly made line/groove. I'm on the iPhone or I would post the picture. Definitely something in middle of the pad.

Are u saying ur on tapatalk?? U can post pics..I do it all the time

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Well it has been over a month with the Wearever Platinum ceramic pads on and they work awesome. I exchanged the Thermoquiets at Advance Auto with no box or reciepts and no questions asked. No more creaking or pad squeal! I am happy as a bug in the rug. Those Wagner Thermoquiet pads sure were crappy. If I would have read the reviews on Amazon I would have steered clear.

shaun4282

Jul 5, 2012
Just noticed this sound coming from my front driver's side wheel, gonna try swap inner and outer pads and see if that works. I also looked on that 'other' site and saw that some people also suggested looking at the rubber boots that cover the pistons inside the caliper as they can get torn and jammed causing a noise. I notice that it also makes the noise when the truck isn't even on and I decompress the brake pedal, making a louder sound as I press all the way to the floor. I recently bought drilled and slotted rotors that came with ceramic pads and I think the pads are crap. Any other ideas? :confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
shaun4282 said:
Just noticed this sound coming from my front driver's side wheel, gonna try swap inner and outer pads and see if that works. I also looked on that 'other' site and saw that some people also suggested looking at the rubber boots that cover the pistons inside the caliper as they can get torn and jammed causing a noise. I notice that it also makes the noise when the truck isn't even on and I decompress the brake pedal, making a louder sound as I press all the way to the floor. I recently bought drilled and slotted rotors that came with ceramic pads and I think the pads are crap. Any other ideas? :confused:

All I have to say is make sure you replace the stainless pieces or the pads won't wear right. There are three stainless pieces per caliper. This solved my creaking. Also make sure to use a wire brush to clean off any rust on any of the parts.

Originally while troubleshooting I rebuilt the calipers but it never solved the creaking. Aside from the stainless shims i'm sure poor pads is a contributor as well.

View attachment 22478

Attachments

• W01331789675AKE.JPG
    W01331789675AKE.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 209

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Well it's been a year and the Wearever Platinum ceramic pads are still working great. However the [creaking when pressing the brake pedal when stopped] came back. Gonna get some reman'd calipers for both sides and see what that does.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Wagner Thermoquiet are pretty crappy and if I remember when I used them, made too much dust and they were slightly smaller than other brakes (they wore less area of the rotor).

For those with groves in the rotors, your pads are most likely semi-metallic. Ceramics which are OEM wouldn't score into the rotors and last extremely longer.

As for creaking; are you sure it's the brakes or because you apply the brakes and the truck dips, the bushings from control arms or shocks makes creeks? Same with releasing since the truck is coming up from the dip. Just spray some lithium grease at the bushing sites and take a ride to indicate a difference.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
seanpooh said:
As for creaking; are you sure it's the brakes or because you apply the brakes and the truck dips, the bushings from control arms or shocks makes creeks? Same with releasing since the truck is coming up from the dip. Just spray some lithium grease at the bushing sites and take a ride to indicate a difference.

The creaking happens when you pressed the brake pedal when parked/stopped. The truck was also randomly pulling to the left when braking. Just got done replacing both front calipers. Problem solved for both issues. But I also found out that I need new upper ball joints. Next project I guess.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I had this creaking. I replaced my pads and rotors and it went away.

Replacement Pads - ACDelco OEM
Replacement Rotors - Got at Advance Auto, can't remember the exact brand name but apparently the same manufacturer makes Raybestos and stuff since there were multiple part numbers on the side of the box.

-Remove old pads and rotors
-Remove clips
-Replace rotoros
-Wire-brush bracket in appropriate areas
-Install clips
-Grease the inside edges of the two end clips
-Install pads
-Grease the backside of both pads
-Put what grease I had left to the slide pins
-Put everything back together

Just went with the standard procedure, and greased where the AC Delco box showed me to. Worked just fine.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You can actually buy a small tub of synthetic brake caliper grease as well so you don't have to depend on that little packet and worry about running out, and to grease those pins up whenever they feel a little sluggish. It's basically synthetic grease, but withstands higher temps.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Grease the back side of the pads? That's a new one on me. Pads usually come with dampener on the back side. Since my last post I have found that Creaking on our vehicles is usually a side effect of bad caliper piston seals. They need to be replaced or rebuilt. Compressing the caliper pistons has the effect of temporarily quieting the noise. The creaking will likely come back in short order. Yeah, I have been through this myself more than once.

TsBlazer

Dec 13, 2011
I'm running into the exact same problem, the front driver side squeaks whenever I step on the brakes. I lubed it all up, loosened the pins, same problem. Then I found that one of the caliper pistons is not extending when the brake is depressed. I'm planning on fixing that this week and I'm betting this should solve that squeak...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Grease the back side of the pads? That's a new one on me. Pads usually come with dampener on the back side. Since my last post I have found that Creaking on our vehicles is usually a side effect of bad caliper piston seals. They need to be replaced or rebuilt. Compressing the caliper pistons has the effect of temporarily quieting the noise. The creaking will likely come back in short order. Yeah, I have been through this myself more than once.

:rotfl: That's what the picture in the ACDelco brake pad box showed me to do, since there was contact being made there. It was just a solid metal back plate, painted black, and then of course the friction material on the other side.

In my case the creaking would occur while depressing the brakes, or while stopped and moving the brake pedal. It seemed in direct relation to how much pressure I was applying. Letting off the brake but staying stopped would also creak too. It's all gone with my part replacement, I've no clue specifically which part was the magic fix, whether it be getting the crappy old pads out of there, or new anti-vibration clips. But it sounded like a miniature version of metal groaning to me.

But I'd still also check CaptainXL's suggestion - if you've got your brakes off you may as well check the piston seals while they're extended anyway, looking ain't hurting and it could tell you if your caliper pistons are failing/failed.

shaun4282

Jul 5, 2012
I had the same issues with my pads squeaking like that when stopped. Got the duralast quiet back ceramic pads and it took care of the noise. I believe it's the back of the pads rubbing against the caliper pin, but not 100% sure. I did replace all the hardware as posted so that might have made some difference too.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
The greasing the backs of the pads idea I got my from mechanic who does my alignments. He's had his own business for 30 years, and put me onto the grease idea.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
JerryIrons said:
The greasing the backs of the pads idea I got my from mechanic who does my alignments. He's had his own business for 30 years, and put me onto the grease idea.

I got the idea from the instructions on the box for OEM ACDelco replacement pads. It may be compression, but it is still metal-on-metal contact between the pad and the caliper piston so why not?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I found after doing some research that the calipers creak because the caliper piston bores are damaged, unaligned or rusted. A new rebuilt caliper is the only solution AFAIK. Pushing the pistons back in with a c clamp resolves the issue for a bit and then returns.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:
I found after doing some research that the calipers creak because the caliper piston bores are damaged, unaligned or rusted. A new rebuilt caliper is the only solution AFAIK. Pushing the pistons back in with a c clamp resolves the issue for a bit and then returns.

That's probably why my creak is gone.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
CaptainXL said:

If this is the case, how do you explain people buying new pads and the creak goes away? While I am not disagreeing with you on rebuilding the calipers, I think people are better off trying to troubleshoot first what is causing the creaking, instead of immediately throwing money at it and guessing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher