Crash test, old vs new...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw that one a long time ago. It's incredible how engineering changes for the better. Too bad a classic was destroyed in the process.

Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Too bad a classic was destroyed in the process.
Yeah, it looked like a totally cherry 59 but, I guess that a rust bucket wouldn't have provided a true result, for sure I would want to be in the Malibu.

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Small overlap frontal offset, about 40mph, IIRC.
The two telling shots are the interiors of both, in slo-mo.

In the Bel Air, the entire steering column is detached and pushed back into the driver. The front bench seat is torn off its mounting, and of course, 1959 cars didn't have mandated seat belts. So the driver flies around as if he were a pinball.

The one thing they don't show is the 'after' shot with the dummies, but it's pretty safe to say... if the Bel Air dummy 'lived', he'd be in very bad shape. Multiple traumas; perhaps an amputation of part of the left foot / lower leg. Pelvic / hip fractures on that same side; a very painful recovery.

Malibu dummy would likely walk away (and he'd be the one summoning first responders).

And, yeah, I hate to see the '59 destroyed. I wonder how many have been put aside for things like this / might still exist?

Reactions: Mooseman

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
While interesting there was no point to destroying the 59, we are not going back to building 59 Chevys and we already know new cars are safer,the likelihood of these two ever meeting on the road is nil so??
Maybe they were overstocked with crash test dummies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
IMO, the point of the video was to promote NHTSA / IISB, etc. (choose your own reasoning as to the 'why', behind that)

1959 is probably close to when all the safety stuff got started (too lazy to look it up right now), so the video is sort of a "look how far we've come" type of thing.

And I'll get on my soapbox for a second... I'm glad today's vehicles perform like the Malibu, in crash tests / accidents, and not like the Bel Air. Science & engineering FTW.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even with the Accords we can see an improvement in just 6 years but I'd still rather ride in the TB :biggrin:

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Even with the Accords we can see an improvement in just 6 years but I'd still rather ride in the TB :biggrin:

The overlap crash standards changed in 1998 for North America. It's was a major improvement. I'd take a guess and say this is why the GMT360's have such a massive front frame.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There was a lot of controversy about the Malibu crash test. Supposedly there was no engine in the 59, so the cross frame connection, via the engine, was missing. And also the engine missing did not allow for a energy absorption area.

On the other videos.. Why do I like the dash being white?

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
hosscartright
hosscartright

Loc: NW Central Indiana
Reg: 12-22-04
User Info
Send Private Topic
View Profile
12-22-11 06:00 PM - Post#2171376
In response to Dave Stromberger

I represented the car for sale on my web site.

It belonged to an acquaintance of mine here in Northwest Indiana. The buyers found it on my site, showed-up with a wad of cash and towed it off into oblivion.

I wanted to buy it myself. It was very solid with one superb repaint done right here in Kentland Indiana. I thought having it would have made a nice addition to my 1959 Impala. I could have owned it for $5500.00 but talked myself out of it. It was a six with automatic.

When my friend found out what happened to the car, he was sick about it.. Me as well. grrrrrrrr........
confused.gif

The hula-girl on the dash is the giveaway..

Here are the photos I took of the car for my web site.

copper%2059%204ds%20lt%20ft.jpg

copper%2059%204ds%20lt%20rear.jpg

copper%2059%204ds%20lt%20interior.jpg
Found this on the 59 while poking around...op says hula girl but, I think he meant to say Fuzzy dice.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it is the same one, where did the rear fender skirts go? And the hula girl?

They could have used one that was in poorer shape but complete.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
but,Hey...at least it wasn't a 348 tri-power....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online